• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Kool-aid man visited, lucky it was only a hose

vxracer

I just got home from a second adventure, but this time it wasn't the heater hose shutoff valve breaking in half. I went to go fill up with premium since the wife is cheap and uses $10.00 of 87 octane when she drives the s90. Dammit. So I fueled up, disconnected battery so the computer would relearn on 93 octane. I had a cracking o-ring on the coolant reservoir cap, and with her using a/c it leaks coolant from the cap with the extra heat. For safety's sake, I cruised by an auto parts store and they had a cap, so I got it because coolant costs more than the cap, so hey. I'll get an OEM one later, right? Well. I jinxed myself when I joked with the guy that some Volvo owners say that the green cap has too much pressure. Well, 1/4 mile later- boom!!! I blew a heater hose. Lucky for me I was close to the store so I went back and he stayed over for 1/2 hour while I chopped the bad end off the hose and refit it.

Moral of the story?

If you have a green cap model Volvo,, put a new cap on, and less than perfect coolant hoses anywhere, the kool-aid man cometh. Maybe even immediately! :lol:

Yes indeed! Those green caps will display any weak link in your cooling system, often unnecessarily. I'm reminded of blowing my heater control valve in a 760 I had. I had my Swiss army knife and a Mountain Dew bottle with me, that was it.:omg: Bypassed the valve, filled things back up from a roadside ditch using the Mountain Dew bottle, and continued on my way. Not much fun, but I made it.
Nice that your parts vendor stayed open for you.:nod::)

Yeah true. I palmed the kid $20. I told him it was for food, gas, booze, or weed. That's his call. Hahahaha

Now I'm going to cost compare rubber vs. silicone under the Hood. Not gonna happen again!

Yup, put a new green cap on, scan tech or something cheap, got in about 1/4 mile of wide open throttle on I-95 North, looked down and was pegging the hot line. Split the heater control valve in TWINE! Emergency vise grips to the rescue!

Sorry for the dumb question but what green cap are you talking about? Obviously coolant reservoir cap but isn't the OEM cap green?

My '90 240 n/a has a black cap, my '92 940T has a green cap, my '96 850 n/a has a grey cap.. you tell me! They all have different pressure ratings though..

For a patch fix until I can order a hose kit is chopped bad ends of both heater hoses, and pulled my black cap from the 244. Gonna seek a silicone kit if available, or just buy all rubber. Lucky for me I commute 3 miles atm!

I don't think I would personally bother with installing silicone hoses for the cooling system, but that's probably just me. Good quality rubber hoses, with good quality hose clamps, will go a long time before needing renewal. And, you can spend the money on other stuff. Just ask your parts guy where he spent the $20.00 that you gave him, in case you're out of ideas...:lol::):nod:

Back