• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 T5wc swap engine braking noise

I think it has a lot to do with the preload of the main and clustergear bearings.

From what I saw in one of Canglianosi's videos is that the lashes are not correct out of the factory and need to be double checked and corrected prior to running.

I thought the same Harald. I've got around .006" preload on the main and countershaft, still rattles like mad. I'm really curious if the stamped steel retainer is flexing though.

Does adding more sound deadedning material to the underside of the transmission tunnel quiet the noise down, or is it a vibration that's through the whole car?

Or maybe I just have a unicorn T5

Is your trans a 4cyl or 8cyl box?

I must say, I am running a shortened two-piece original 140 DS with a V8 slip yoke, new joints, carrier bearing, and balanced, and am yet to have any bad vibrations or noises.

I have a WC 4cyl (NA, not that it matters) T5, soft T5 mount on a modified x-member, original rubber bushings in the TA's and panhard, and worn out rear springs and blown rear shocks.

Edit: Also running Pennzoil syncromesh
1,2,3 all have a pretty mild whine, 4th and 5th are silent

Depends on how soft and squishy your motor and trans mounts are, plus how quiet you manage to make your trans in the first place. It's not very noticeable in my car for instance. If you are making 350 lbs ft at 3000 RPM and you are flooring it from idle in third gear, you are definitely going to hear that.

Also remember that the shifter is connected solidly to the trans so it will transmit any and all the noise from the gearset.

Mine got a bit quieter when I replaced the hard shifter knob with a leather covered plastic one.

Mine got a bit quieter when I replaced the hard shifter knob with a leather covered plastic one.

Also, I'm running a cut off m46 shift lever on the stock t5 shifter base with a 740 shift boot and rubber/plasting m46 knob.

Is your trans a 4cyl or 8cyl box?

It's from a 1989 5.0 id tag 169

I have noticed the shifter itself (pro 5.0 with a solid composite type knob) makes more noise than the gear rumble, and it is a different noise, I can put side or rearward pressure on the lever and that noise goes away and the slight gear noise doesn't. Might need to clean and grease the shift lever pivot for that to go away, but I've read lots of V8 guys talk about the shifter assembly rattle, but nothing about the gear rattle on decel.

Back