• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Electric Fan Conversion

i used a chrysler lebaron fan... looks great on the car, almost like factory and fits even with 3 inch thick intercooler...

IM003667.jpg

Last edited:
just grabbed one from a dodge spirit/plymouth acclaim, very similar fan, but trim an inch off the large side of the shroud, and actually pressure fits in no problemo. should be good when i get it wired up!

just grabbed one from a dodge spirit/plymouth acclaim, very similar fan, but trim an inch off the large side of the shroud, and actually pressure fits in no problemo. should be good when i get it wired up!

yeah i believe that is actually the exact same fan, just trim to fit! looks great

well, the mounting tabs are different, yours from the lebaron interchanges with the minivans (voyager/caravan) where as the sundance, acclaim and spirit have a slightly different one (that works just as well.

nice, I grabbed a fan from a 92 acclaim or something. Only the V6's had to seem a useable fan, all the 4-cyl and turbos had fans with super skinny/long fan motors. I'm all excited to get it installed, I alreayd have the relay and wires all wired up.

Too bad I just got pulled over for being too low. He said my exhaust was lower than the lowest rim. I went out and measured and the exhaust is like an inch taller...so lame. Now I have to get an inspection....great. I'm going to have to find on non-cut springs :(

But back on topic, the fan looks like it will fit nicely.

I'm thinking of instaLLING a 3000 CFM fan from summitracing.com, what can it hurt? any input? going to remove my mechanical fan and upgrade to this fan with a manual override switch in the cockit. only! I will control when it will come on. BTW, I hae already removed the auxiliary fan for condensor, will the condesor fan power outlet work for a new fan or will i have to hot-wire new wiring????

Maybe this is here somewhere, but I didn't see it.

I really want to do this as I HATE how loud my engine is at idle or at any RPM for that matter.

Can someone who's done this type up a shopping list? Basically EVERYTHING I would need to d it?

I'll probably find an e-fan from a car at the JY.

Maybe this is here somewhere, but I didn't see it.

I really want to do this as I HATE how loud my engine is at idle or at any RPM for that matter.

Can someone who's done this type up a shopping list? Basically EVERYTHING I would need to d it?

I'll probably find an e-fan from a car at the JY.

which car are you doing it on?

Questions questiosn and more questions

960/940/850 all had the same 2 speed electric fan.

15 months after installing the 940 fan in the 240, it finally blew the 30a fuse this past weekend. I caught it in traffic as the temp gauge (compensation board removed) spike past the half way point but long before the red. I replaced the fuse (always carry spare fuses in the glove box) and I was back in business in 3 minutes.
This is the wiring diagram for the Volvo fan and relay.
c70c43d2.jpg

I do not know if this thread is dead or still alive but I will take a chance and ask my question
I am also thinking of biting the bullet :drool: and putting an e fan on my 1990 240

First most imp question :???:
How to see if the junker fan is good (apart from the looks of it)?

I have few questions about this diagram

1. Green from c1 - Does it power the high speed of the fan or the Red from C2

2. Since I have a 240 so signal for high speed will come from sensor mounted on rediator (This sensor came stock with Nissens ,hopefully it should work)
So does the Grn/org from B1 and Yel/Brn from B2 go to this Rad mounted sensor

3. So how do we power the low speed . ?

I would like to power it Via a manual switch so that I am able to increase the cooling effeciency of AC when moving at slow speed.I hope this will not cause any issues for the
engine cooling as it will be controlled via the temp sensor)
Will it be through this relay shown in diagram or I will need a separate relay controlled by a manual switch at dash.

If I am thinking correctly then this means that one of out put from either C1 or C2 does not connect anywhere. Is that correct.

Regards
Gopesh

1. Green is low speed, red is high.
2. It depends if you want the the switch to activate low speed or high speed. GRN/ORG activates low speed, YEL/BRN activates high. On my car low speed is activated by the thermo switch at the radiator, high speed is activated by the switch in the dash as a backup. Make sure you verify the temp rating of the switch that came with your Nissens radiator. It should be stamped on the side of the switch in degrees C.
3. Both low speed and high speed are powered at all times by "fusible link" through the relay. I can't explain the whole diagram in words. It would be best to get assistance from someone with more electrical experience. All the symbols an wires are self explanatory.
Good luck

This is what I was thinking for some wiring, but I got a feeling that the one Kyle posted on the first page of this thread will indeed work fine. I think I'm going to give his a try this evening. If not, I'll use the one below.

attachment.php

The idea of this one is to use the first relay to arm the system. I just never liked the idea of taking power for the fan directly from the fuse panel. Of course, Kyles diagram doesn't either. ;-)

Attachments

• efaninstall_new.gif
    efaninstall_new.gif
    4.1 KB · Views: 3,377
For the record, the above diagram works perfectly. :nod:

I will install a 940 e-fan in my 91 240 soon using a relay from a 960. The diagram in BDKR's post shows the fan single speed, controlled on-off by a thermostat with a manual overide switch that disables the circuit . I want to have my fan operate 2 speed. In Cliffords diagram the fan appears to operate either low or high triggered by the engine control module. Does the relay have a central position where the fan is off?
More pertinent to my application, if there is no central position on the relay, does that mean that I will need two sensors and two separate relays to have
"OFF"
"LOW"
and "HIGH" settings, or I guess my real question is....is"OFF" really needed?

Last edited:
Be brave and give $110 to http://www.dccontrol.com/ for their FK-35 e-fan controller.

This little box of tricks contains everything you need bar the fan itself. All wiring, mounting screws, temp sensor, connectors etc are included. It's a variable speed controller and the set temp is adjustable via jumpers. It also includes inputs for A/C and permanent feed.

I have one fitted to my 760 V6 and it works great. Stuck in a motorway tailback in 80* ambient temps it kept the coolant temp constant and was barely noticeable in operation due to it gradually building up speed as neccessary. It's wired to the high speed side of a 960's fan, with the slow speed side controlled by a switch on the dash to give me an emergency back-up.

Have a look at their site - it includes all info neccessary about the controller and the instructions to fit it. I can't reccomend it enough.

Back