• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Ebay exhaust manifold

Forgot about this, I have an intricate setup of zip ties holding my water pump inlet hose about 1/4 of an inch away (air is the best insulator). Also had to use zip ties to hold the top power steering hose away from the header as well. Might give the hoses a 1 or 2 layer wrap in that mirrored duct tape to try and reflect some of the heat away. I?ve heard it?s better to have a thin space of air than to say wrap the header and have it touch.
Mine melted my ps pump line...i have mine wrapped :omg:

Right but whats the path of least resistance?

Cheapest/easiest way into Lemons racing is to do an arrive and drive with an established team. You get to race and not worry about building a car and transporting it or prepping it. Teams typically charge $500-$600 for the weekend. This includes race fees, fuel, etc.

The next step is to buy an established car. There was a 780 turbo Lemons car for only $1500 a while back. This is great deal because you will easily have twice that into a car if you build it yourself.

Plan on at least $600 for personal safety gear if you can share a hans device with your teammates.

For a team of 4, other costs are roughly per person:
Fuel $50-$75 per race
Tires $50 per race (we get 2-3 races out of a set of tires)
Misc Parts $100 per race (my team is constantly upgrading and fixing stuff)
Entry Fee $330 per race

So, not cheap, but compared to other racing it is a deal for the amount of seat time.

Last edited:
why not use the NA exhaust main and make a set of "J pipes", lets you put the turbo right where you want it.

Interesting idea! Might even be easier with a turbo manifold (please excuse the crude sketch).

IMG_0701_zpsiflldmgn.jpg

I went ahead and bought the ebay manifold. One of my teammates can weld stainless on his TIG, so we will reverse the flange and maybe add a brace. SO, considering we are after dependability before all out boost, do you guys think the TD04 is the way to go? They are certainly plentiful! Also, we are currently running an RSI NA cam, how will that be with the turbo?

I run TD04-16T's on the sedan at about 10 psi.

It's an extremely reliable setup IMHO, I'm running the water cooling lines hooked up but routed a different front factory - using the port on the head to feed it and it returns via the pipe that connects to the back of the water pump. They are plentiful in the yards so finding a replacement is not much of a task. Or just be like me and bring 4 extra center sections to the track [even though I've been running the same turbo 6 races]

Towery and/or any of you other racecar peeps. It would be super nice for you to write up a how to and what realistic things/costs looked like. I know it's kinda dumb, and the info is KIND of out there... but it's still never as easy as it seems.

I've prepped 2 [going on 3 now with the 262C] cars for Lemons and I am also almost done with my rally car. I would be willing to do a thorough writeup on prepping a 240 for crapcan racing or any motorsport

Make an educated guess, then multiply by 10.

It's not that bad....more like guess and than x3

Last edited:
Weld a elbow to the water pump is another fix. Not all Ebay headers are created equal. Some have more clearance than others. You will also need to run a smaller alterator.

Weld a elbow to the water pump is another fix. Not all Ebay headers are created equal. Some have more clearance than others. You will also need to run a smaller alterator.

My NIW exhaust manifold for the 16v includes a water pump with an elbow welded on.

Wow! I test fit a Ebay manifold on my red wagon and noted the issues and came up with fixes but did nothing because of oil pressure issues. Now i’m Needing a wagon and going to hop up my red 84 242 Orginal b21FT.

Back