• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Chipping 1991 Volvo 940SE Turbo

hexibot43

Hello Eveyone,
I know I'm a little slow to the party, but would like be able to break my tires loose too! I am not in it to go really fast. I just want to make people think I can go fast. I've recently gotten back into my Volvo. Hadn't been really driving it for years. The Transmission was shifting really, really late. I talked to a couple transmission shops and they were ready to rebuilt the whole transmission. I wasn't ready to bite the bullet. Good thing too. I read that most people changed the TV cable. I honestly didn't see anything wrong with it. Even with the pan off it looked fine. But I had already bought the cable. Changed it anyway. Spent $20 on a cable and did a much needed service. It has never shifted like it does now. Perfectly!
I've been doing a lot more reading on chipping. I have a 560 stock ecu, and haven't found the ignition computer yet to get the info off of it. Correction - found it - 0 227 400 149 and 3517360 is it's designation. Do you think I can get what I want with just chipping? I'm not looking for 300hp. I don't want to loose low end. What I want is to improve it. Just a little more fun off the line. I was hoping that the Lostartof chips were still available. I'm here for direction..... I've been reading for days. And I really don't want to change any hardware if I can get away with it.

Thx,

Marcello

Last edited:
A chip itself will not add a ton of power, supporting mods, more boost and a larger turbo will be where the big gains are. The chips are one of the supporting mods.

What kind of goals do you have? Do you have a certain 1/4 mile time you want to run? Is there a certain car you want to be as quick as? Is there a HP goal you want to hit? With this info we can help you make sense of what kind of mods, effort and money you need to be ready to spend.

And yes I am still making chips.

I got you. And thank you for the quick reply. I am "really" not in it to run on the strip. I just want to be able to smoke the tires a little bit. I've got a '71 Datsun 240z with a 350 Chevrolet in it to go fast. This is my daily driver. I would like it to pull harder off the line. Sleeper. And I guess I should say that perhaps later I'll want more. Keeping that in mind that whatever I do today would be working in that direction. I don't have 1/4 mile time in mind, nor anybody to beat. I would like to be able to show someone that I'm annoyed on my commute, and let a little steam off.

Thx again,

Marcello

Get some 175/70/15s and I bet you will smoke the hell out of the tires.

Otherwise basics for a turbo car, get a boost guage and an MBC. See what the stock boost is set at. It can be anywhere from 4-8 psi. As long as you are running 91/93 Oct fuel and the basic state of tune is good (basic stage zero making sure all sensors are newer and working according to spec, there are no vac leaks) throw in the MBC and set the boost to 10-12 psi and see how it goes. From there a larger exhaust and downpipe will help a lot. Better intercooler and once you have those mods to help the air pump function look into getting a wideband and turning up the boost more.

There are a lot of threads with the info you are looking for so spend some time searching in the articles section and ask questions when you get stuck.

You can take a 16second 1/4 mile car and turn it I to a mid to low 14sec car for fairly cheap. Once you get into the 13s things start getting a little more involved. And someplace in th3 high 12s and down to gets expensive.

I like the way you think!

I'll keep reading. I'm guessing chips aren't going to do anything for me yet. I'll do as you suggest. I'll hook up a turbo gauge and see where I am now. I believe I already have a Wide band sitting in my toolbox. Will just need to get a gauge to go with it.

Any suggestions for a MBC?

A chip itself will not add a ton of power, supporting mods, more boost and a larger turbo will be where the big gains are. The chips are one of the supporting mods.

What kind of goals do you have? Do you have a certain 1/4 mile time you want to run? Is there a certain car you want to be as quick as? Is there a HP goal you want to hit? With this info we can help you make sense of what kind of mods, effort and money you need to be ready to spend.

And yes I am still making chips.

Shoot me a PM if you get the chance I could use some chips :nod:

Back