• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Torque Converter Questions +Launch Vidz

roflcopter

I'm currently looking for an AW71 to put in my wagon and hopefully not blow up super quickly, but I had a few questions about the stock converters for those...

I'm running a 50 trim T04E with the .63 exhaust housing, this puts me making full boost at 3800rpm or so which is fine for driving around but that means that the stock stall speed of ~2400 is not close enough to really build much even with as much anti-lag measures as I can throw at it. I'm making right at 4psi within a few seconds with my two-step set right at the stall speed and throwing a rotating spark cut at it.

I know the stock converter can be modified to get up to around 2700-2800 stall speeds but I was wondering if anyone else with similar setups was able to get much more usable boost at that speed or if modding the converter is somewhat futile.

Here's a video of it launching as it sits with building 4psi, I definitely won't be able to put much more down before addressing the rear end and putting more rubber on it, but I want to future-proof it a little bit when I get the new tranny.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VQXsy3mxxq4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Go out and buy a 3000-350rpm stall for it and be done with it. I had a 3k and then a 3500rpm stall in my aw71 with a holset.

I could foot brake with LH up to 3000+rpm and launch at whatever psi I wanted. With the slicks and stock rear end 10psi was about the limit as more boost would just spin the tiny 24.5x8 slicks.

There are tons of places that sell higher stalls for these transmissions. Not really rocket science and no excuse for someone to not just get an off the shelf part that works great.

My 3k stall lasted 5+ years before I killed the trans running low 12s. And the 3500 stall is still living in someone else's car after I did a 12 flat and a ton of drag passes on it.

This was all on LH with just a simple foot brake I could bring the revs up and then hold the turbo at what psi I wanted to launch it at.

you could just hit it with a 100'er of smack. that'd go really well with a loose converter

Thanks for the input. If you can spool at 3000 with the Holset I definitely should be able to spin mine up at that point too.

I felt like I was right on the verge of getting it to take off but just didn't quite have enough airflow, good to know my thoughts were correct and that the answer is in fact a higher stall. I'll look into aftermarket ones but with the two-step do you think it's possible on a modified stock one?

And I'd considered givin it some extra help in the form of a bottle... but I should be able to make enough power to rip the bottom end apart on just the turbo... I'll save that for the next motor ;)

Eh, stock converter seems to do well for mine with the 2871R, builds enough at the line to light em up so I basically just have to feather the throttle until I launch. Anything over about 6-7psi lights em up at the track. Haven't tried throwing more tire under it just yet, got them in waiting though.

Eh, stock converter seems to do well for mine with the 2871R, builds enough at the line to light em up so I basically just have to feather the throttle until I launch. Anything over about 6-7psi lights em up at the track. Haven't tried throwing more tire under it just yet, got them in waiting though.

Is this an unmodified stock converter? There is no way at all I'm lighting them up with my current boost levels, your turbo is a little smaller so it would make sense if you're spooling it earlier.

Yup, bone stock AW71L with almost 300k on it. Couldn't get past about 3-4psi at the line on the Holset after waiting for 5 seconds at WOT or so, lighting em up simply wasn't going to happen...until the 60' mark, then it's nothing but sideways. lol

That's been my experience so far... it hooks good then starts spinning once the boost hits. I guess I shall look into getting a higher stall. Any companies to recommend getting an aftermarket converter from?

EDIT:

Kind of unrelated but I found an AW71 out of a 780(i believe with the B280F) for cheap with low miles, I can't find much information about whether or not that will bolt up to a B230 alright... I'm willing to swap bell housings and stuff off my AW70 if needed, but will that even be possible?

Last edited:
I dunno that I'd fool with all that, it may be wonky and you may end up swapping more than just the bellhousing (which would swap over, with some effort)

Hmmmm, What else could possibly be different? All I can think of is the bellhousing and the tailshaft housing... which aren't too big of hurdles. All the AW71's should have the same gearing, which is weird if it was behind a B280 but I'm not 100% on that since it's a junkyard listing.

different shift points, different length detent cable and spool in the valve body, there's a number of things that may not be the same and it still be an "aw71"

Hadn't thought about the kickdown cable and the spool... I wonder if it would have higher or lower shift points... I could use some more RPM up top for sure.

Back