• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Sourcing MicroSquirt in Europe

Victorrr

Alright, we already have a few MicroSquirt threads around here.

This one is not about the install itself, but closely related to it as it's about sourcing the parts, mainly the ECU (and a few other bits).

I don't know if it's the correct section, hope I'm not bothering.

Thing is : up until now, I completely forgot to look into the cost difference between US - Europe. But here it is : buying a Microsquirt (with a basic harness) controller here would cost me at least 550 euros. That's grossly 600 USD. Buying it from Yoshifab, or any Ebay vendor would be at least 500 euros (shipping, VAT !!! and customs).

(For instance, the set of 4 delphi coils I bought off Ebay ended up costing more in shipping and custom than the coils themselves). At this rate, I'm afraid I won't be able to complete my MS install..

Ik that a lot of TBers are Muricans, but some of yall are Swedes, English and so on.
Here is the question : were did you buy MS stuff from ? This also applies to sensors like the continental flex fuel one. A hundred bucks to get it shipped here. Yuck.

I'm a little bit down on morale now that I realized that :-(
I'm overbudget, I had great plans for the car. I could delete a few mods to make for it (things like oil cooler, bigger oil pump, oil squirters, exhaust, IC well I can't really gain much here).

Hope yall can help me find ways to save the precious cash

For sensors, coils and stuff, do your research and find out you can also use sensors of European cars. I don't know any good reason why I'd use a 1990s GM sensor when I can have a modern Bosch sensor with better characteristics and factory info for calibration curves etc. Same for the coil, a 40 euro (new) original Bosch 2x2 coil works great and is easy to source locally. Chinese copies are even cheaper.
About the Ethanol sensor, yeah this one is always expensive (here), not too much you can save on one. Besides lots of bad quality counterfeit sensors around so I'd shop from a reputable vendor (maybe https://www.finjector.com/eng/ethanol_content_sensor_3_8_9_5mm_pipes_freq_output-p-723190-196). SAE 2044 fittings and nylon line work with these sensors, no need for fancy AN stuff, the modern quick connect stuff is compatible with the Nylon lines Volvo used.

The MS itself, I dunno. I think the possibilities of Microsquirt are good but if the price ends up in the 600 euro range its too expensive for its features. If you add 200 euro you can have a Maxxecu Street ecu even. That one has built in wideband and MAP sensor, for the MS you need to add those as well. And if MS+WB+MAP is 100 euro cheaper in the end, i'd still go for the ECU with this stuff integrated (no issues with ground loops etc, whatever, just a cleaner faster install my opinion).
RusEFI can be an option as well if you don't mind a slightly deeper dive in DIY electronics: https://rusefi.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

To be honest, i'd skip the bigger oil pump.
Factory fuel pump works great.
940 oil water cooler setup is not that expensive and very effective for the price, for a normal +T its adequate.
Stock intercooler is better than nothing for sure.

Back