• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 How does early rear window trim get installed? Need help

vwdmc16

Im trying to reinstall the original Aluminum trim for the rear window of my 75 242, Ive straightened it out the best I can but cannot figure out how to get it to mount in the weatherstripping groove. Thanks for any advice on this.

Drive on over to see Red, he may decide to help-out, or at least relax in his Adirondack chair, and shout out instructions...:)

Drive on over to see Red, he may decide to help-out, or at least relax in his Adirondack chair, and shout out instructions...:)

Thanks for throwing me under the bus, :grin: I think I'd almost rather do lower trailing arm bushings than that job.

:owned:

At least it would be straight foreword and not as frustrating.

:x:

HEY! I didn't really volunteer you, I did say something about sittin in your chair...

And I know how comfy those Adirondacks are..

yeah, and my taillights are acting up again and while youre at it you can run new harness' to my tailgate WHILE you replace my hatch hinges that you sold to me for way too cheap. IM on my way RN

Well thanks for the quick reply.. The rear window was smashed I first got the car and I was only able to get about 70% installed with this new window. However I had to remove it again when I recovered my headliner this summer. So is the consensus to rope it in on the seal while the glass and seal are out of the car?

I just looked at the page referenced by Billy. Easy as pie, reverse zip-lock style. The trick is make everything slippery. Much easier than the stretch and bang w/mallet style I had to deal with on Old Detroit Iron. It is always that last tap that cracked the glass.

well, thin rope will do as well, They say soap, I would say LARD. It is slippery, will not effect the rubber, environmentally safe, and it will wash away. You need to let the rubber slip up and around the lip.

Study the pictures along with your trim a few times until you can see how it works with out thinking. Oh, warmer is better, if it is cold, have a hair dryer handy.

No jokes about thinking RED!!!:grrr:

I know you!!

:-D

Back