• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 740 Brake Master/line diagram

jvluntzel

Hello!

Does anyone have this? I need to know what each port on the master cylinder is routed to and where they go on the distribution block. Basically need a whole diagram of the braking system that is labeled.

Thanks!

p.s. this is performance mods as it is related to big brakes and bias valves

Simon Babbs is the resident 7 series expert.

ABS car or early?

I installed a new master cyl. On my 92, but didn't touch the dist. Block; much simpler with non ABS. You might find your details on the Volvo UK 700/900 Maint pages.

My '91 is a non ABS car. Totally missed that when I 1st checked it. Noticed immediately once I got it home. Really surprised it was not a standard feature.

I did this upgrade recently, see thread " '93 Front Brakes on an '85 740."

Similar setup to yours: non-abs 4-hose front brakes (Bendix/DBA.)

Took a while to figure out, but to keep it easy let's say the two lines at each front wheel are arranged so there is an upper and a lower. Use the upper on one side, and the lower on the other, and plug the unused at the MC or junction block, wherever it snakes to. This will give you the desired configuration of equal caliper to MC cylinder ratio, i.e. the two fronts connected to one MC cylinder, the two rears connected to the other.

I used bleeders from the orig. calipers to plug the unused MC/junction block ports.

This is a troublesome error of omission in the Brickboard article (Upgrading to Jumbo brakes) that has tripped up some others as well, but unfortunately there is no way to edit the article.

has anyone gotten pics or a better description of what needs to
be corrected on the brickboard.com/FAQ/700-900 brake swap? i did the
switch about a week ago and then found this thread.... i knew something
felt funky and barley wants to bleed correctly. thx fam

Yes, I went thru this about a year and half ago. See my findings in post #5, just above yours. Been working great since then, worthwhile upgrade.

i pretty sure someone changed a line before so i’m not sure
if my connections are even right to start. both lines to the front
passenger caliper are directly from the master while driver side
was from the prop block. jsut seems odd to me from the start

thanks tintintin. i did try to follow your recommendations after i found this post but like i mentioned before it looked like lines had been changed before and system always was weird. tryin to find a diagram or drawing of the proper way to run the single line caliper swap. i did what the write up said and blocked the ports it showed and it seems to be out of balance alot. where do your front caliper lines end up after you did the swap?

Back