home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 03-10-2019, 11:47 PM   #776
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Given all the red, I think your creams/beiges or grays are the most complimentary.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:47 AM   #777
centason
Knipex=welfare queen

That's too much shiny coffee brown. I'd pearl a lighter shade of the color you have now. That would be interesting.
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
Yes, but I keep having the dream of shoving the Cocaine up my ass!
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgothan View Post
Ohh god no, I'd rather eat hot diarrhea than drive a 7/9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFridge View Post
You sons of bitches are the biggest thread de-railers in forum history. Any forums history.
centason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:54 PM   #778
Atom D&D
Board Member

My least favorite part about wrapping a headliner

Atom D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:49 PM   #779
Atom D&D
Board Member

First you need to peel the old cloth

Then you need to strip the foam remnants. The easiest way is to use a cupped wire brush in a drill on slow. That way you run the least risk of damaging the fiberglass layer underneath

Next I used panelboard to extend the rear sides and fill the handle holes

A skim of filler

I usually lay the cloth on the headliner card and fold it back. Gluing half at a time (pro-tip, a good upholsterer will lay the suede in a “waterfall” with smooth going forward and down), stick it then glue the other half

The tape is for where you don’t want adhesive. It’s ok to float small areas where there’s defects

The trick is to be really light on the glue. Glue both halves, let it COMPLETELY dry and then spray a little bit on one half (usually the card). If you put too much adhesive on when you’re installing you can compress the foam and it’ll look “cottage cheesey”

Installing

Old 03-17-2019, 09:38 PM   #780
Atom D&D
Board Member

Promo photo shoot for PNW Wagonfest 2019. Made sure they only got the good side ��

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvH4mBCD...d=n8x0u1zgm9hh
Old 03-17-2019, 09:43 PM   #781
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

Niccccce

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:48 PM   #782
matt b
Board Member

Have you decided on a color yet ? Is the insurance company making any progress on the claim ?
matt b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:48 PM   #783
cwdodson88
Board Member

That headliner turned out awesome! I can’t wait to see what you work out for the paint.

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:12 AM   #784
Atom D&D
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt b View Post
Have you decided on a color yet ? Is the insurance company making any progress on the claim ?
Not exactly. Will be off white, preferably leaning towards green/grey vs cream. Seen a Porsche color I liked and a BMW color I like.

No, insurance is not on the ball at all.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:43 AM   #785
M.H. Yount
Board Member

M.H. Yount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:18 PM   #786
Atom D&D
Board Member

Well, the adjuster is here right now, looked at the car, loves it, (he’s a BMW guy) and is out writing the repair estimate. He said he’s not even going to run comparables for valuation. He said, “it’s gotta be worth at least $50k like this. You’ve done so much work I wouldn’t even know where to start” (I just kept my mouth shut). He took extra pictures of the outside and the interior to show his team. I popped the hood and he took a bunch of pics under there too. Fingers crossed.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:23 PM   #787
cwdodson88
Board Member

sounds like you got a decent adjuster on the case. I hope it all works out well.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:59 PM   #788
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

what kinda adhesive are you blowing through the purple HF gun for the headliner?
Old 03-19-2019, 02:45 PM   #789
Atom D&D
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
what kinda adhesive are you blowing through the purple HF gun for the headliner?
Old 03-19-2019, 02:55 PM   #790
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Thanks boss
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:22 PM   #791
Atom D&D
Board Member

Well, as expected the current issue is the adjuster came back with a fairly low repair estimate (as compared to the shop I stopped by the day this all happened). The plus is he wasn’t interested in totaling it at all. The negative is that he booked it low expecting a body shop to submit supplemental invoices. If I repair it, I can’t submit for supplementals, so I’m reevaluating the path forward.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:43 PM   #792
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Just curious - who do you have it insured through? And is it 'traditional' insurance, or Hagerty's/Grundy/etc.?

Having been through this a bit (you probably have too) the shops are usually pretty good at having the insurance company come up with the extra $ if the adjuster blows the estimate. We live in a world where the insurance cos. would have you believe you can accurately estimate the cost of a repair by sending a few pics in via an app.....crazy.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:01 PM   #793
Atom D&D
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. Yount View Post
Just curious - who do you have it insured through? And is it 'traditional' insurance, or Hagerty's/Grundy/etc.?

Having been through this a bit (you probably have too) the shops are usually pretty good at having the insurance company come up with the extra $ if the adjuster blows the estimate. We live in a world where the insurance cos. would have you believe you can accurately estimate the cost of a repair by sending a few pics in via an app.....crazy.
I have a standard policy through Allstate. My insurance agent told me Iíd have trouble getting one of the speciality insurance companies to cover it since I donít have a garage. Most companies require a garage and limit mileage. He said the valuations he could find for comps put it at $8,500 in good condition, $12,200 in excellent condition and $21,000 in concourse. He said if I felt I needed more than $10-$12k if it were totaled then we would look at a different policy. Iím fine with those numbers since Iíd buy it back no matter what.

Yeah, I fully get that a shop could submit for a supplemental adjustment, but the repair Iíd get from a body shop like that will probably be repair the quarter and shoot the quarter blue (probably base/clear (I donít think any shops besides Maaco use single stage anymore) and Iíll have a fixed car with a super shiny quarter panel. It doesnít feel like ďbefore it happenedĒ. Hence why Iím going to do what I can and hope thereís a solution I can make work.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:22 PM   #794
M.H. Yount
Board Member

I had a similar situation almost 20 years ago with mine except the other party’s insurance was on the hook. Insurance and body shop finally agreed on repair costs (body/paint on both rear qtrs). Then I sat down with body shop and negotiated additional amount to paint the whole car. Good lick with whatever you decide.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:50 PM   #795
Atom D&D
Board Member

Now that insurance has looked at it, it’s time to start tear down

Old 03-20-2019, 08:46 AM   #796
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

I can't remember if the Grundy policy on my 242 mentions anything about a garage, I do not believe it does. I'm not theoretically supposed to drive it to work every day, but I don't anyways. Also there are mechanics and gas stations and car shows on the way to/from work - ya dig? Probably the most salient point is that they have never asked for proof of anything, checked up on me or the car, asked about mileage etc.

Doesn't sound like your agent worked very hard for you if he didn't even pick up the phone and ask them!
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:05 AM   #797
Atom D&D
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
Doesn't sound like your agent worked very hard for you if he didn't even pick up the phone and ask them!
To be fair, I didnít push the point either. I know thereís no way I could sell this car for the $10-$12k I could get for it in a total, so I was fine with the standard policy. After I go through all the effort for HQv2 I may re-evaluate.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:21 AM   #798
cwdodson88
Board Member

My farmers “classic” policy just has the stipulation of “driven to meets, club events, maintenance/repairs, or other enthusiast activity” so basically my agent said that if I drive it to work and get into an accident all I have to say is I was taking it to a meet, or getting it detailed, or taking it in for repair or maintenance, and they don’t check. She writes a lot of these policies and most people daily them during the summer months.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:55 AM   #799
Atom D&D
Board Member

Some pics taken by the photographer doing the video shoot for PNWWagonfest last Sunday. Give him a follow IG: @woyshnis.media . I’m going to load them full size in case anyone wants to use them for other stuff. Last photos of it in this configuration

Old 03-23-2019, 10:48 AM   #800
Atom D&D
Board Member

This is how you ship calipers when you don’t want FedEx to chip up the hard work again (also when you like building over the top stuff)

I included the socket I had to grind down to fit in the recess in the bottom. The calipers are bolted through the bottom with standoffs and nuts on the inside so they can’t back out. I just hope they don’t take it as a challenge and really beat the crap out of it.