• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

MikeSr.'s 242 V-8 project

Well we found a T56 so it looks like that's the route we'll be going instead of a 700R4. We got the motor in today and man does this look like it's going to be a bitch. The T56 no where near fits the tunnel and the cross member will most definitely need to be cut. I'm going to copy hacksters build as close as I can as far as tunnel and crossmember mods. Of course it's always a lot harder after you've gotten a few beers in you.

lol. Beer tastes best in your garage.

Yup - I've about decided that when the time comes I'm going with a built T5 or a TKO -- avoid the extra weight, size and inefficiency of the T56. With all that torque, I won't need 6 gears anyhow.

A nice day's work.
7E4A803A-EA4C-40A8-9804-8D1F31D73DF3-1285-00000822134A0EFC-2.jpg

Yes, that's an iron block 5.3 we picked up as a package deal with the T56.Soon to be for sale.
1C8711C1-7305-4CEA-BE7B-AE0D68EE764E-1285-000008235F162398.jpg

First try at fitment of the aluminum block 5.3
2506BA17-0172-4F6E-80F9-D0CE36EE36E5-1285-0000082324FEEEBC.jpg

Shiny!
Now Jr. goes to work with surgery on the crossmember and tunnel and to build the mounts.Nice to be related to a craftsman.
Got a new clutch kit, with hydraulic slave cylinder. Now pedals, clutch master,lines etc.
Getting there!

Time for some chop chop on the engine crossmember.

I was able to use the stock crossmember just moved back two holes on the chassis and it all lined up nicely.

Oh and I believe that I mention in my build just how enormous this transmission is....nobody really believed me but I bet you will in a few short days.

Ill be keeping an eye on this. Looks good so far.

Sean

Oh - he already believes you Sean....

"We got the motor in today and man does this look like it's going to be a bitch. The T56 no where near fits the tunnel and the cross member will most definitely need to be cut."

I'm so jealous. Can't wait to see how you guys shoehorn that in there... there may be a v8 in my future.

They are big trannies. Mine had to move back to get the 2j in, it got pushed back farther than the redblock had it, so I need to relieve the passengers floor area kind up high, and am going to do some creative hammering to get the reverse lock solenoid to workout.

Project is looking great!

Last edited:
HaHa!!

I wish I had taken some photos of that patch panel after I finished it, that one really looks like sh#t.

If you were to stand in front of the car with the engine out and look at the tunnel it would look something like this....

E7E3FE06-orig.jpg

After many many hours of beating on the tunnel with 5 and 10lb single jacks, using a porta power to push apart, some cutting grinding relief cutting welding and one hole saw it should look something like this.

6EE1D8E0-orig.jpg

placing the engine in the bay was a cake walk, maybe a two hour job. Clearancing the tunnel, building the patch panel rebuilding the shifter to fit up through the stock shifter opening and getting the tranny to fit took me a number of days to make it all work.

Its a big unit when its all together so its slide it all in, mark the spot, move it all back out, make an adjustment slide it in over and over again. All in all, I believe I had the engine and transmission in and out of the car 15 times between the crossmember clearancing and the tunnel.

Its not horrible work, just work.

Have fun and Ill check back on it soon.

I believe that I have the templates for the cutout on the crossmember, is that something that you are intersted in? I could scan them and email them over to you if you are.

Sean

Back