home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 09-02-2018, 04:02 PM   #576
haltechsupra
Board Member

Now I am going to share with yall , this bit of tuning info that My Buddy Rick Gentry Clued me in on. Most of you may know it already, but thanks for reading this-so here.. When I first setup up my microsquirt, I thought auto tune was the pooh, except this one spot right at idle. Auto tune would always mess it up , and correct over the right settings until it would stall. Then I would have to correct. I showed Rick , and he's all like "ah, no worries , do this.." Select the fuel cells that the computer keeps changing on you ( if it does) like this.

Select -lock selected cells, this means the computer will not mess with these highighted cells at all in autotune, which will help you pinpoint and fine tune exact areas of problem.

Now these cells are locked until you unlock them.

Simply unlock.

haltechsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:08 PM   #577
haltechsupra
Board Member

More fun. A little tune I did, to bring up boost to rocket off the line. I have some great footage of running two hemis chargers from a stop using this. One had terrible reaction, he slept. He gave up instantly.The other started a car in front of me because he couldnt control his burnout before we even started, so he gave himself a car length. Fine! We both left at same time, he didnt gain a inch. Niether did i. Then i hit second gear and it looked like he hit reverse.lol.Towards the end of video , you cant even see either of them. But its too incriminating... Anyway, heres a video of me bouncing off rev limit to create boost off idle. Lag is not a problem. 9 psi lights up the tires, so I usually launch with a little less, then slowly release the clutch, which creates a bullet out of the barrell type feel as the tires are barely crying for grip as clutch slips, tires grip, then at full release of clutch it feels like the front could lift. But i need a few more moose power to do that. https://youtu.be/TF6HIrQubcg
Old 09-03-2018, 12:59 PM   #578
DocterHow
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haltechsupra View Post
What kind of scaling is going on with that VE table?
Old 09-03-2018, 03:57 PM   #579
haltechsupra
Board Member

Jason , the dyno tuner said something about that. I wasnt clear on what he meant either. I have no idea.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:28 PM   #580
DocterHow
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haltechsupra View Post
Jason , the dyno tuner said something about that. I wasnt clear on what he meant either. I have no idea.
I think your req_fuel is too low, so you have high VE values to compensate. Also, the fuel load kpa scales all the way to 500 kpa which is ~58 psi worth of boost on top of the 100 kpa atmospheric presure. My turbo miata running on a ms2 has idle VE numbers are around 50-60. The scaling isn't a big deal, as long as the car has good AFRs, unless you want more boost and need more fuel in part of the map (I think 255 is the largest VE value possible).
DocterHow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:55 PM   #581
haltechsupra
Board Member

Required fuel is 3.9 ms. As far as the kpa, I am using a holley 5 bar map.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:09 PM   #582
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

low req fuel allows a more finely grained tune (if you need it/want it), as long as you have enough to meet the highest demands. think 255 is the highest value you can use on the ve table.

also, on the siphoning for the alcohol inj, a lot of folks started using solenoids for nozzles installed after the tb that are subject to vacuum. food for thought, wouldn't be much to install some and have them come on with the pump.

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:00 PM   #583
haltechsupra
Board Member

Great idea! Had not seen solenoids on alcohol kits .Thanks again!
Old 11-06-2018, 12:04 PM   #584
haltechsupra
Board Member

My header broke again. https://youtu.be/zPLjqiqS4h0 You may remember,I cut and pasted a big block v8 header to 16v flange. I beat on it for maybe 3 months. The collector broke where the 4 merge into one. Not my weld, but for sure my problem. Going to get one made with sch 10 ss by a pro. Just got the flange from Australia. Car did great moving stuff to new house and garage , even though manifold was busted. Still unpacking and arranging stuff. Seems it will never end....

Last edited by haltechsupra; 11-06-2018 at 12:27 PM..
Old 11-06-2018, 12:57 PM   #585
cosbySweater
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
low req fuel allows a more finely grained tune (if you need it/want it), as long as you have enough to meet the highest demands. think 255 is the highest value you can use on the ve table.

also, on the siphoning for the alcohol inj, a lot of folks started using solenoids for nozzles installed after the tb that are subject to vacuum. food for thought, wouldn't be much to install some and have them come on with the pump.
I had this issue on my car with it siphoning the alcohol tank, got a snow performance check valve and that seems to have solved my issues for the moment
1995 Porsche 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:13 PM   #586
Dirty Rick
Board Member

Back to the locking of the idle cells deal.

Otto Tune changes the idle cells because it is trying to match the AFR target shown in your AFR table.

When you get the idle right in the VE manually tuning, note the afr's and correct the afr table.

Another aspect of this, is if the AFR table is not corrected and O2 correction is enabled it will do the same to the idle area.

The AFR table needs to reflect exactly what the motor wants, not some magical 14.7 number that few (if any) motors will idle at.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:15 PM   #587
haltechsupra
Board Member

Good to know Cosbysweater. I bought two check valves from devils own, but they both dont work very well at all. I just moved my two jets before tb but after bov and its been doing well ever since.
Dirty Rick, that very well could have been the case . Havent had that issue since, so i probably mucked up the target idle af for a minute, then fixed it.
Manifold flange came in from australia. Two to three weeks out for it to be completed. Turbo still out the hood, but twin on3 wastegates now and true paired pulse manifold for split port hx52. I am kinda excited. Patient pantzzzz
Old 11-16-2018, 03:15 PM   #588
haltechsupra
Board Member

https://youtu.be/oc-gN7rOOaM Retorqued head after and doing valve seals.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:17 PM   #589
haltechsupra
Board Member

Happy Thanksgiving to all. And to all a full belly!

Last edited by haltechsupra; 11-22-2018 at 04:25 PM..
Old 11-28-2018, 07:02 PM   #590
haltechsupra
Board Member

https://youtu.be/o4nDzh4lgvo Little video of the progress of my box of bolts.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:11 PM   #591
haltechsupra
Board Member

Default New video of my tune, fuel and ignition maps.

New video out on Turbo World,
Fuel and ignition maps and closer look into 16v redblock plus turbo specs for microsquirt ems. Happy New year all! https://youtu.be/y2fUacRazLY
Old 01-03-2019, 01:51 PM   #592
adomz
Volvo 486 owner :D

Great stuff buddy! Love it!

One thingi would suggest video wise is to get some kinda aux light and not use your camera/prone light, so you can properly see the stuff on the laptop ;)

Adam

=->Adam's Joint Creations<-=

adomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:56 PM   #593
haltechsupra
Board Member

Thumbs up

Thanks Brother! From what I saw on my laptop last night , its visable. For sure need better lighting.

Last edited by haltechsupra; 01-03-2019 at 06:56 PM..
Old 02-07-2019, 12:33 PM   #594
haltechsupra
Board Member

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=XtmuxDoTKf0
Old 02-21-2019, 04:18 PM   #595
haltechsupra
Board Member

https://youtu.be/qCsjlzVc4Ak
Old 03-09-2019, 12:56 PM   #596
haltechsupra
Board Member

Time to put up or shut up. Looks like I may have the current most powerful surviving combo in the states. After my 404 wheel dyno I did some upgrades. Below are pictyres and a video.

https://youtu.be/CYgRw8wpsu8
Old 03-13-2019, 12:34 PM   #597
haltechsupra
Board Member

Video of test drive with new manifold and ball bearing 62/66.
https://youtu.be/tvhOrnLaRHk