home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 03-05-2019, 06:41 PM   #226
cwdodson88
Board Member

I like the idea of the rack for space reasons. There really isnt a whole lot of room for large radiator, intercooler or oil cooler up front. I ended up going semi-V-mount to get around making a rack work... but now I'm back to the cad screen to have an air-water ic worked out.

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:34 PM   #227
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

Thinking about making something similar to what flaming river does with several of their kits. They make a cradle bracket that goes between the frame rails and bolts where the steering box and idler arm go. This method looks to allow a more inward pivot of the tie rod as it bolts to a bracket that is bolted to the fixed inner tie rods of the rack. I've barley done any research into this method, but it looks promising. I may invest in a bump steer gauge to help with this rack project. Thoughts?

Last edited by MikeJr.; 03-09-2019 at 11:38 AM..
MikeJr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:40 PM   #228
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32RennSport View Post
I feel the only real benefit to a steering rack in an Amazon is the elimination of the drag link and thus less pivot points. This should in turn make for more direct steering in addition to the removal of slop from a steering box, which even when adjusted properly needs some "slop" to operate correctly without binding the worm gear. In any case I'll keep watching this, curious to hear your impressions once it's in and on the road.
Eliminating slop is exactly what I am looking for. Power assist will be nice too, but the "old car slop" is what I'd like to get rid of. If I wanted power assisted steering alone I'd just do the Prius electric power steering under dash which I have considered
Old 03-08-2019, 01:10 PM   #229
sspony
Board Member

Let's hear more about this electric power steering option. I hadn't heard of using prius parts.

65' 122s (weekend cruiser)
67' 122s (Rallyx racer)
82' 242 dl
83' 242 glt (v8 turbo swap project)
sspony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:56 PM   #230
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Search around sspony - lots of folks have done it -- Prius, Saturn and Yaris units commonly used. Not too difficult to make work if you have room under the dash. VERY difficult to do in a way where you preserve feel, feedback and even return-to-center function that's anywhere close to what you had before. All of that is a function of the software that controls the unit -- and when it gets used in an entirely different application, you can get assist but almost always without refinement. There are black boxes that allow boost level to be tailored - but all the rest of the subtlety that makes good steering good steering is usually absent. Having said all that - there are a lot of folks that are thrilled to have boost without doing anything under the hood. And they're happy. The OEM's have taken a good decade of development and they're just in the last few years delivering systems that rival the best hyd-boost from before. There's a guy in the Volvo restomod group that just had it added to his 122 - he's in DC. Forget the name. And having said all that - I have no idea what the steering is like in the Amazons to start with -- for all I know it's like most old American muscle - devoid of any feel or feedback. If so, maybe nothing to lose!

MikeJr. - I think the approach pictured above has the potential to solve the bump steer issues presented by a rack that's too long for the 122 application.

Last edited by M.H. Yount; 03-09-2019 at 10:36 AM..
M.H. Yount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:44 AM   #231
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspony View Post
Let's hear more about this electric power steering option. I hadn't heard of using prius parts.
There is a company called EZ Power Steering that sells a nice kit for $1200. Here is their instruction manual on how to install it.

There are a few different E-PS Units you can use to do this swap. This guys goes into depth on what motors are best.

Here is a link to one type of controller
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Saturn-Vue-...QAAOSwr7tZfvQP

Last edited by MikeJr.; 03-09-2019 at 09:50 AM..
Old 03-09-2019, 09:54 AM   #232
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. Yount View Post
MikeJr. - I think the approach pictured above has the potential to solve the bump steer issues presented by a rack that's too long for the 122 application.
This is the way I will attempt to do it.