home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 08-08-2016, 06:51 PM   #26
northNH
Board Member

Some thoughts, hope they're useful...

--I've always been able to find OEM quality e.g. Wagner etc, rear wheel cylinders at regular old parts stores like NAPA (they need to look in the old catalogues) for prices that make sleeving second choice for me. And since I've changed to DOT 5 silicon hydrophobic brake fluid, corrosion has becomes a thing of the past.

--Regarding your BW35-to-M41 conversion, I trust you are aware that both the 3-piece plastic steering column shroud AND the hole in the dashboard behind it for the steering column and shifter linkage to pass through are larger in automagic cars. Pulling the shift linkage and changing to the common slimmer 1-piece non-auto shroud setup will leave an unsightly circular opening in the dash behind it...
Thought about that?
northNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:21 PM   #27
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisamazon View Post
Nice 122s and Minilites, remembers my first 122s 65'....
That picture is awesome!

Last edited by MikeJr.; 08-17-2016 at 09:11 AM..
MikeJr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:25 PM   #28
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by northNH View Post
--Regarding your BW35-to-M41 conversion, I trust you are aware that both the 3-piece plastic steering column shroud AND the hole in the dashboard behind it for the steering column and shifter linkage to pass through are larger in automagic cars. Pulling the shift linkage and changing to the common slimmer 1-piece non-auto shroud setup will leave an unsightly circular opening in the dash behind it...
Thought about that?
Yeah I heard that, but I haven't wrapped my head around it yet. So I would have to switch dashes or weld up the hole?
Old 08-09-2016, 01:06 PM   #29
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

I just took a gander at the steering column and now I see what you mean. I might just mod the current column cover, and down the road I'll weld up the dash hole or find a different dash.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:00 PM   #30
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

My son made a 122 on Forza 6. Looks pretty good. Makes me think about using fender mirrors.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:54 PM   #31
northNH
Board Member

Here's a thought...

Starting in '69, for the last series of Amazons sold in Europe, UK, Canada, etc. (but not in USA), the ignition switch was relocated to the right side of the steering column, with a small wedge cutout for key access. This necessitated a wider shroud, which happens to cover the automagic dashboard hole quite nicely. Using it will require a simple relocated drilling of 1 of the 3 plastic shroud mounting holes. No welding, no dash removal.

Larger/later one shows hole for OD switch, as it came off a '69 Canadian build with OD...

Oops...
Old 08-11-2016, 02:34 PM   #32
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

Got a spare one you want to part with?
Old 08-11-2016, 02:47 PM   #33
hiperfauto
Board Member

If he doesn't, I do.
hiperfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:29 PM   #34
northNH
Board Member

If you're OK with sending me what it's worth to you (after you receive it is fine) let me know where to send it...
If not, you've got options.

BTW I also have the upper column section that came out of the same car; (pretty much) complete with excellent working ignition switch lock cylinder and key. Does not need/use the usual armored-cable coil and integral switch. Will require later style (crooked shaft) steering box, and will take some dedication to install.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:50 PM   #35
vintagewrench
Board Member

Quote:
If you're OK with sending me what it's worth to you (after you receive it is fine) let me know where to send it...
If not, you've got options.

BTW I also have the upper column section that came out of the same car; (pretty much) complete with excellent working ignition switch lock cylinder and key. Does not need/use the usual armored-cable coil and integral switch. Will require later style (crooked shaft) steering box, and will take some dedication to install.
This is the Canadian car?
Old 08-11-2016, 06:25 PM   #36
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

That might just work. Looks like I'd still have a hole where the ignition cylinder goes. I think if I have that and the regular one I could cobble something together that would cover that hole. Ignition switch on the column would be cool, but seems like a lot of work, and I kind of like it in the dash.

If I could get both covers in those pictures I know I could make something.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:24 PM   #37
northNH
Board Member

"This is the Canadian car?"
If I understand you correctly, Yup.

Body has been recycled into BBQ grills or guard rails by now, but it's parts (B20B, M41/J-OD, Recaro seat recliners, column OD switch, radiator, alternator, MC with integral booster, 4 piston front calipers, late steering wheel and box, under dash pad, rear pop-out window seals (new!), rear 3-point belts, and period correct wooden shift knob all live on in ~ a dozen different cars.

@MikeJr., to me it would be a mistake to use 2 excellent condition shrouds and end up with something "cobbled together".
Since it's no longer a question of originality, much better to think about how to get some use out of the notch of the later version that will end up looking good and be useful.
You could mount an appropriate bracket exactly where the ignition switch would mount and have an easy-to-use or well-hidden switch there...fogs, intermittant wiper, speaker fader, alarm, siren, ejection seat...

Otherwise why not just cobble together what you'll settle for with the original 3 piece shroud, which does cover the hole?
Old 08-11-2016, 07:45 PM   #38
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

The cobbling together would be done in a professional way. I work in the auto body industry and have done several types of plastic repair on lots of different kinds of plastic using high end materials. It wouldn't be your run of the mill cobbling. I'd make it look like it came from the factory when it's done. I might still do this with the AT column cover, but I kind of wanted to keep that intact and sell it with the transmission, which I plan to do.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:20 PM   #39
northNH
Board Member

Got it, my confusion was with the term cobble together:
"To make something or put something together hastily or carelessly..." in my dictionary.

Unless there is a segment of the used Amazon parts market I'm unaware of, I believe your 3 piece auto shroud with indicator, etc, if perfect, is worth slightly more than the transmission if perfect.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:14 PM   #40
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

Quote:
Got it, my confusion was with the term cobble together:
"To make something or put something together hastily or carelessly..." in my dictionary.

Unless there is a segment of the used Amazon parts market I'm unaware of, I believe your 3 piece auto shroud with indicator, etc, if perfect, is worth slightly more than the transmission if perfect.
That's good news cause it is perfect.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:55 PM   #41
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

and when I think of cobble I think of a cobbler, like a shoe cobbler, or a craftsman. I also think of the Keebler elves.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:36 AM   #42
LloydDobler
Board Member

Awesome car, awesome thread. On a 122, rust free and no bondo is the absolute best way to start the project.
'05 V50 T5 AWD - Daughter's first car
LloydDobler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:26 PM   #43
northNH
Board Member

After scratching my head, both sides, for a bit, I'm still wondering how exactly you plan to sacrifice the smaller one to make the bigger one better.
This inquiring mind would love to know...
Old 08-12-2016, 06:23 PM   #44
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

Quote:
After scratching my head, both sides, for a bit, I'm still wondering how exactly you plan to sacrifice the smaller one to make the bigger one better.
This inquiring mind would love to know...
Basically I'd have to take a piece out of the smaller one that I think would cover that portion of the larger cover where the ign switch cut out is. Then I'd plastic weld, and and bond it together. I'd use some mess on the backside when bonding for reinforcement. Then I'd sand all that smooth and wipe a skim coat of polyester filler. I'd then have to sand that out smooth, prime it, sand some more, and paint it. I'd paint it using base coat/clear coat paint, black of coarse.

If none of that works I'll just sell the car and buy a Prius
Old 08-16-2016, 01:31 PM   #45
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

I'm thinking about making a custom Amazon euro tag for the front of the car. I did these in ms paint so the scale's not quite correct to the car, but you get the idea.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:51 PM   #46
cwdodson88
Board Member

I'll take one if you make a few! Looks GREAT! I have some lasered aluminum deals, I think I have one extra too. Let me know if you want a trunk badge.

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:40 PM   #47
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdodson88 View Post
I'll take one if you make a few! Looks GREAT! I have some lasered aluminum deals, I think I have one extra too. Let me know if you want a trunk badge.
Ok, I was thinking about making a few. I'll let you know.

What do your trunk badges look like?
Old 08-16-2016, 03:51 PM   #48
cwdodson88
Board Member

Exactly like your script but just the letters cut from 20 ga aluminum. You'd have to glue them on. I'll get a pic
Old 08-17-2016, 10:40 AM   #49
cwdodson88
Board Member

Here's what those badges look like. I haven't figured out how I want to stick them on, they're pretty thin.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:57 AM   #50
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdodson88 View Post

Here's what those badges look like. I haven't figured out how I want to stick them on, they're pretty thin.
There is a company that we use at work that reconditions emblems. They apply a thin 3M style automotive 2 sided tape. They laser cut it so it fits perfect to the emblem.

If you want to send me all 3 I can polish them, have them tape them, and send you back 2, and I'll keep 1 for me. I have an old dealer emblem on the trunk that I want to take off, but there are holes behind it. This would work perfect to cover those until I respray the car. PM me if that sounds good to you.