home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 11-26-2010, 12:46 PM   #126
doucheNozzle

Just read through the whole build. Glad to see this car where it is! Looks great.

'00 XC70 SE - Slow
'04 V70 T5A - Feels Fast
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:54 PM   #127
jens.s

hey what pressure plate are you running with the m90. i have a projekt like this but my pressure plate was too thick
jens.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:59 PM   #128
JW240
All idiot, no savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyd View Post
Just read through the whole build. Glad to see this car where it is! Looks great.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens.s View Post
hey what pressure plate are you running with the m90. i have a projekt like this but my pressure plate was too thick
Everything from a 1995+ 940 Diesel with M90 gearbox, will check numbers later, have pics somewhere.

semi update:
-running LH now for some time with the Ostrich 2.0, works great. rpm limit at ~7000 rpm, mixture is good up to 5500-6000 (.82 Lambda at WOT) but goes to .75 or lower to the limiter. Still surprised at how little the torque tapers off at those rpms, especially considering the sub-optimal mixture.
-got a cruise control set from Homer, some comfort to install this summer (thanks dude!).
-some clunks and driveline vibration issues that need sorting, now the car is back to DD status those things start to annoy fast.
-replaced front brake pads for a set of original Volvo pads and checked the rear brakes, took it easy on the brakes for some time, now back with good stopping power.

Still no progress with the Polaris rims, need to get them ready for use before the Nordschleife meet this summer. Too busy with school/internship ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Don't forget about properly seasoning it on HF jackstands for a couple years whilst dreaming about big powah 'goals'.

Last edited by JW240; 04-26-2011 at 05:12 PM..
JW240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:26 PM   #129
klr142
Turbo, what?

Fun fun. What cam? Any headwork done? 3" exhaust but mostly stock turbo setup otherwise(on LPG, of course)?
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #130
JW240
All idiot, no savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by klr142 View Post
Fun fun. What cam? Any headwork done? 3" exhaust but mostly stock turbo setup otherwise(on LPG, of course)?
yeah its a fun DD

short spec list:
-stock, unopened 1991 model B230F, no headwork, 262.000 km
-V cam
-Garrett T3 with 60 trim .42 A/R compressor (a bit bigger than stock T3 but not much) and .63 A/R Cosworth turbine on a ported 90+ and 3" exhaust.
-E85 with 630 cc/min injectors and remapped LH/EZK. I would like to run LPG but road tax would double to ~1200 euro a year (yeah, ~1700$ ).
-currently running 8 PSI, will up the boost when i have the Iveco IC fitted and when the driveline vibrations and some other odds and ends (rear wiper wiring broken in hinge etc) are fixed. It is too easy to up the boost for some extra power, i try to make the most out of the boost i am running before i take the easy way (more boost).
Old 06-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #131
JW240
All idiot, no savant

Some update stuff, installed a prototype wasted spark conversion (by Karl Buchka). cross posted to keep this thread up to date.

Re-used a connector from an old copying machine. The 5v/gnd connection is a bit less clean when there is a daughter board in the way for the chip. Wires soldered to the underside, no problem.

Temporary installation, will make wiring pretty/good when I have finalised the mounting position of the coil+powerstage. The coil barely gets hot, the powerstage needs a bit better cooling, it gets a bit hot to the touch after some hard driving.

Impressions:
-engine runs smoother, a bit less agricultural even. Idle and hi-rpm is the most noticeable.
-better torque although my butt-dyno isnt very accurate. Especially hi-rpm+boost where the stock system is lacking.
-need to program the Atmega with the last software version, starting is not 100% ok, needs a few or more tries. Pro-tip: dont park this car in front of uni or anywhere else crowded with people.

My car had good wires from the aspirator, 940 turbo coil, semi fresh Bosch cap+rotor and a Summit MSD box (that I suspect was disfunctional/weak).

Here is some video coverage of last weeks' automotive entertainment:

As said, seems to run better (boost still 0,5 bar in this vid). Oh and it seems like the high load mixture has gotten a bit richer, before it was consistently at lambda .84-.81 (mid rpm-redline) and now it is .81-.78. Better combustion could do such things. Although I can't imagine that stock ignition was lacking so much power that it could have effect on lambda readings. Who knows.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:27 PM   #132
Fivehundred

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW240 View Post

Is that the correct relay for LH, I thought you'd converted to in essence 940 Turbo spec?

It looks nothing like what you'd find on one of those.

Photobucket
Fivehundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:23 PM   #133
Mr.Borrie
The Sneaky F*ing Russian

is CC not always a separate thing, regardless of injection system?
Mr.Borrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:23 PM   #134
JW240
All idiot, no savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivehundred View Post
Is that the correct relay for LH, I thought you'd converted to in essence 940 Turbo spec?

It looks nothing like what you'd find on one of those.
i'm running the 240 Lh 2.4 loom, the cruise control will be completely separate from the engine stuff like boris says. The 940 stuff looks like it is the newer generation, not sure what the differences are.

Updates:

Finally a set of real tires instead of the 2nd hand 15" stuff that i had been using before. That stuff served me well but i wanted something better, especially grip wise..

I got a good deal on a set of brand new Toyo R1R tires sized 225/45ZR17. They guy I got them from bought them for his car but after test fitting he discovere that they were too wide to fit so he ebayed them...
These will be mounted on the Polaris rims when they are restored. I am curious how these tires will be in the rain and on other daily drive stuff (probably fine as long as it doesnt snow/freeze) but i am sure that they will be nice when I go back to the Nordschleife asap hehe. Very happy with this set, i was looking at 4 new tires but most good brands were pushing the limit budget wise..

Mounted the KL-racing underdrive pulley:

The pulley required some grinding to over the crank but nothing serious. I lengthened the tensioner of the alternator a bit to get more clearance for the oil filter but still had to buy shorter belts. While I was there I upgraded the alternator ground and + wire.

Bracket for the Bosch 2x2 coil behind the strut tower:

The wiring for the wasted spark has been cleaned up too and the power stage now resides behind the headlight on the right, looks almost factory now.

Right now the car is still on jackstands, waiting for maybe the Iveco IC and some other smaller things, cleaning up the wiring and such. Cant wait to test the new tires!
Old 08-14-2011, 04:45 AM   #135
Dirk242
Board Member

Old 08-14-2011, 04:45 AM   #136
Dirk242
Board Member

Double post fail.

Last edited by Dirk242; 08-14-2011 at 05:02 AM..
Dirk242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:39 PM   #137
JW240
All idiot, no savant

Some pics of the Iveco IC:

After welding up the end tanks.

Used M6 rubber vibration dampers to hold it in place.

Installed. Cold side is a modded original pipe together with a 2.5-3" reducer.

Hotside pipe in progress.

Still have some work here to tidy things up, esp wiring. Had to get the car ready to get to the internship the next day.
Made a gradual transition from the hot side silicone elbow (original Volvo) to 3" from exhaust pipe.

Had another radiator go bad (this one came from a 16V 740), a reminder that I must stop using old crap. Got a new 2nd hand radiator from blabla, still in very good condition. It had a 95C? temp switch and i wired it up to trigger low speed Efan. Works good although I still turn on the fan manually when sitting in a traffic jam etc.

The front shocks seem to have excessive play, had some strange clunks in the front suspension since a few months and always felt some play in the front suspension. Adjusted the wheel bearings, tightened all bolts, no dice, still play. Had it up on the lift last weekend to have some mechanics look at it and they confirmed that the shocks were the culprit. They seem to be quite mushy too. Will give Koni a call this week and make use of the life-time warranty. In the mean time i think i'll use a set of new Bilstein B6/HD that I still have laying around.

Should take some pics, using the Polaris rims from the 760 now. Looks good and the ride is nice too.

Last edited by JW240; 10-05-2011 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: forgot pic
Old 10-04-2011, 04:27 PM   #138
Mr.Borrie
The Sneaky F*ing Russian

whats the point of this? lighter?

Old 10-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #139
Wagner
Tbricks MIG Welding Champion

Looks good, as seems to be the norm with the things you do.

Envious of those welds seen on the truck intercooler. I bought an AC/DC tig welder myself, and the globs of molten metal between two aluminium parts holding them together that i come up with are not exactly as beatifull as those ones there. Steel is OK, that i can do.

I might have asked this before, but please do remind me again, where does that cooling fan come from? 940?

Cops pulled me over. Papers, they said. Scissors, i replied. Still i did not win. Go figure.
Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:58 PM   #140
Mr.Borrie
The Sneaky F*ing Russian

E-fans from 940, 960 and 850 and the relay can be used
Old 10-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #141
JW240
All idiot, no savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Borrie View Post
whats the point of this? lighter?
yeah, lighter and the original ones can go bad. This one was cheaper than a new original one. Oh and it turns the accessories slower, main benefit. Even with the Polaris wheels the power steering works 100% (cold/just started).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
Looks good, as seems to be the norm with the things you do.

Envious of those welds seen on the truck intercooler. I bought an AC/DC tig welder myself, and the globs of molten metal between two aluminium parts holding them together that i come up with are not exactly as beatifull as those ones there. Steel is OK, that i can do.

I might have asked this before, but please do remind me again, where does that cooling fan come from? 940?

Thanks! I want the car to stay together wherever I take it

About welding alu, as you can imagine, practice practice. first 1/2 of this year I had to weld a lot of aluminium at my internship, that really helped. But even then the first welds arent as nice as the ones after some freshing up. Before I welded the IC i didnt practice but they turned out good.

The Efan, Boris is right. There are some small differences through the years but they all work. The 940/960 style has a ground lead with a wire terminal and longer wires, the 850 version has a plug and shorter wires. Some very early ones are 1 speed but pre-wired for 2 speed with the relay etc.

Oh and here a pic of the car with my brothers Polaris rims:

Need to get my own set repaired/powedercoated.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:08 PM   #142
Mike87
Old Volvos Never Die

Wow! it looks great
Old 10-05-2011, 05:17 PM   #143
Dirk242
Board Member

Looks nice JW! I wanna see it irl. We need to meet soon.
Dirk242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:52 PM   #144
Old Iron
I Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW240 View Post

Oh and here a pic of the car with my brothers Polaris rims:

Need to get my own set repaired/powedercoated.
Sweet, this is the nicest exterior photo of your car ( I think it might be the POLARIS)! no in all seriousness the Polaris are hands down the best exterior modification you can make to the look of your car! Worth every cent!!
Old 10-06-2011, 05:36 AM   #145
Mr.Borrie
The Sneaky F*ing Russian

Hmm i think the older ones looked better? might be the angle how your wheels are at the front.
Seems like they are to aggressive for the friendly looks the car has..
Anyway i'm sure the ride has improved with the wheels, and polaris is always good i gues..
Old 10-07-2011, 04:13 AM   #146
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

412.. fjordgreen.. best color volvo had :D

MadDog_945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:59 AM   #147
DNAsEqUeNcE
†John3:16

Jan!11!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111one

WELD A FLAT PLATE OF ALUMINUM ACROSS THE TOP!!!!!! and the bottom if not done so either!!!111one
Old 04-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #148
JW240
All idiot, no savant

sooo time for another update. Got the Polaris wheels back from www.wheelcare.nl. Recipe: Strip old paint of, fix curb damage (by welding), straightening, new powdercoat. Opted for silver/metallic, it matches the original color pretty good. Also had the damaged inserts fixed. Very nicely done, fast and very good value for $.

Grip. I has.

and washed the car.

Thats it for now. Short term plans:
-new inner tie rods
-alignment
-better gearbox mount
Old 04-07-2012, 11:51 PM   #149
klr142
Turbo, what?

Very pretty. What gearbox is in the car again? M90?

Also, what tires are those?
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #150
JW240
All idiot, no savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by klr142 View Post
Very pretty. What gearbox is in the car again? M90?

Also, what tires are those?
Thanks!

Tires are Toyo R1R 225/45ZR17.

The gearbox is an M90, used the 940 mount but it doesnt seem to cooperate 100% with the 240 engine mounts, the angled engine mounts push the engine to the back. The non angled 940 mount doesnt like that and makes the gearbox move to the side etc. The guibo is pretty cracked as well.