• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1988 Volvo 760 Turbo Ignition Coil

lummert

After chasing misfiring gremlins in my car for months I finally found the culprit. Last night I located my spare Bosch coil. This morning I put it on before making a trip to the next county. No more misfire, period.

I should have known from the symptoms. The misfire was happening after driving for more than 30 minutes, and the tach needle was jumping around quite a bit. The misfire wouldn't happen around town because the coil didn't get a chance to overheat, town is too small.

The coil that went bad was a replacement Bosch coil replaced new in 2006. Now I need to look for the receipt, it should have a lifetime warranty.

A friend had the same year 760 and his coil also became intermittent. His had the coil mounted on the firewall about in the middle and I guess all that turbo engine heat over the years was too much for it. After at least 20-30 minutes driving you'd get stalling and misfires. Let it sit for awhile and you can drive again.

So maybe lengthen the wires and relocate the coil, as in 740 or 940 fashion? I already have a longer coil wire that came with the plug wire set.

A friend had the same year 760 and his coil also became intermittent. His had the coil mounted on the firewall about in the middle and I guess all that turbo engine heat over the years was too much for it. After at least 20-30 minutes driving you'd get stalling and misfires. Let it sit for awhile and you can drive again.

After looking under the hood of my 88 765 I'm not finding much real estate available for relocating the coil. Maybe the strut tower area on an 88-90 760 is different from a 740/940?

Back