• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1990 740 turbo 400hp clutch?

bearman683

I'm building a 1990 740 turbo with aprox. 400 hp w/ 1985 t 5 mustang cobra w/c transmission and dana 30 axle w/4:10 gears and trutrac diff. My question is what clutch set-up do I need to run in this combo and where I can get it? any help appreciated.

I'm building a 1990 740 turbo with aprox. 400 hp w/ 1985 t 5 mustang cobra w/c transmission and dana 30 axle w/4:10 gears and trutrac diff. My question is what clutch set-up do I need to run in this combo and where I can get it? any help appreciated.

If you want a steel flywheel and a pressure plate you can have some confidence of a) knowing how it was rated, and b) what it is.... call me at the number listed below..Flywheels in stock..
The original made in USA Volvo steel flywheel, and the best.

And at 400hp I think its pretty clear you want a steel flywheel.

https://yoshifab.com/store/drivetrain/clutch/volvo.html

Makes a great setup

What is your setup that makes 400hp? There are very few here making that kind of power.

that's a ballpark estimate turbo kit says 400hp but it depends alot on parts used in motor. so I used the 400 hp for a max power so I could pick parts that could take that much power and not break. I'm trying to do this write the first time with a safety margin. Maybe I'll put NOS on it later if I get over confident.

that's a ballpark estimate turbo kit says 400hp but it depends alot on parts used in motor. so I used the 400 hp for a max power so I could pick parts that could take that much power and not break. I'm trying to do this write the first time with a safety margin. Maybe I'll put NOS on it later if I get over confident.

Someone has been shopping on eBay?

kit comes with turbo,ss header,intercooler,all air pipes w/silicone connectors and clamps, blow off valve, wastegate ,oil cooler, braided ss oil return line and an fittings,turbo timer and voltage regulator. And yes it's from ebay. And it cost $699.00 I'm going to be using Nathaninwa's sheet metal intake too.

Last edited:
Reading the description more carefully before saying it's going to be approx 400 hp might be a good idea around here.

Just because the turbo could theoretically move enough airs to make 400 hp doesn't mean it can get you anywhere near your goal. Id lean closer to the 1psi=5-7% hp gain area, putting a red block 4cyl in the area of around 160-190 hp at 10#... now start adding supporting mods, cam, ignition mods, fuel mods, etc and your baseline increases, so the gains also increase.

What the boys here are doing is being too cool to say the simplest thing: you can cram more air in with this bolt on stuff and unless you add fuel in the right amounts, and control ignition, you are not just wasting time, but will probably just blow the motor..

400 hp is not a bolt on job..
Stop thinking of buying all kinds os things which are, for you at your skill or awareness level, a waste of money
Stop and rethink.

Post lots of pics.

I time-traveled and grabbed one. :nod:

P1090512.jpg

Photo credit: cosbySweater.

I know kit is just one thing of many I have to do. It's just 1 part of many things I have to get and do for the end result. I'm not stupid I plan on many new parts and machining processes before I even start on the motor. I'm just putting the drive train together wright now because I have most of the parts on hand. I have a long list of mods to do before I get to the point of making any real power in the future. I'm just starting on a long build and needed to pick your brain because you have the experience that I don't have. why buy stuff and break it if I don't have too, you guys already have done this and I don't have too."project in progress step one"

Ok, so a few questions:
1- budget?
2- what flywheel? There are a few options out there.
3- what driving will you be doing? Street? Track day? Full blown race car?
4- are you seriously going for 400hp on an 8v 4 banger?

We'd love to help, and love to see you hit 400hp or close to it, but a $700 kit from a no name source tanks the whole thing. Sorry to say this, but even with a very well built and well executed motor, I highly doubt that kit is even close to getting you there.

The best thing that ad says is min. estimated horsepower increase 75hp. I would suggest hanging out around here and reading and learning for some time. No ebay kits.

I know kit says 400 hp but I didn't think it alone would make 400hp I thought that the parts were a good deal to start with and would build on them getting what horse power comes. I'm putting together a car that will evolve over time, building a drive train to take 400 hp is just step one, making 400 hp is a different story. I'm starting with a 16v engine and will change what I have to get it turbo charged IE change the block,CAT cams, RSI pistons, RSI rods,oil squirters,adjustable timing gears,sleeve block, ARP fasteners and studs ,ignition system-wasted spark,fuel system mega squirt, what ever it takes over time until I'm happy with it, I don't expect it over night it's a journey. motor is for later now is drivetrain,suspension,brakes and tires & rims. might go pro street route with it but leaving it looking stock in appearance. And I am reading and learning from the posts here, I just have questions about parts and techniques so I will post them when I'm ready. May even go V-8 route never know.

Last edited:
Back