• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 Turbo engine into 940 NA car

Hello All,

Just joined the forum so hopefully this is the right forum group for this question. Please redirect me if not.

I'm in the initial stages of planning to swap a 1994 940 Turbo engine from a sedan into my 1994 940 NA Wagon. Not much detailed info in the archives or elsewhere on line, so I'm still in heavy research mode. :-)

From my initial review of both cars I can see that in addition to the engine and gearbox (may transfer rear axle; 3.73 versus 4.10), the following will need to be moved/changed;

1. ABS Pump Module and related brake lines
2. Battery
3. Air Filter
4. Air Mass Meter
5. Under hood wiring harnesses
6. Engine Control Module (LH Jetronic)
7. EZ-K Control Module and Amplifier
8. Air to Air Intercooler
9. Radiator

I'm currently comparing the Mitchell Repair wiring diagrams of an NA car versus a Turbo and notice that some of the connections to the Engine Control Module are different between the two versions. So, has anyone done this swap and what did you encounter?

Any feedback/input is appreciated.

Hello Dicktater,

Thanks for the reply.

Rear Axle
About 80% of my driving is on highways so I figured the 3.73 would be better than the 4.10. The 10% reduction in engine RPM would be a benefit. Also, I believe the 3.73 diff in the sedan is a limited slip - I haven't confirmed as yet, just picked up the 940 T last week.

Bosch ECU
I haven't checked the part number on the case as yet. Being a 05/94 production 940 I assume it is version 2.4.

Hello Dicktater,

Thanks for the reply.

Rear Axle
About 80% of my driving is on highways so I figured the 3.73 would be better than the 4.10. The 10% reduction in engine RPM would be a benefit. Also, I believe the 3.73 diff in the sedan is a limited slip - I haven't confirmed as yet, just picked up the 940 T last week.

Bosch ECU
I haven't checked the part number on the case as yet. Being a 05/94 production 940 I assume it is version 2.4.

I'm pretty sure a 940 sedan na would be a g-80 with a 4:10, the 4:10 is barely noticeable but fun!

The fun thing about this is you have a lot of options to play with. A lot of the stuff on your list doesn't need to be changed since you're swapping in the same engine. Literally all you need is the turbo parts and i guess you should change ECU's. This is a plug and play, bolt on swap, you dont even need to **** with the wiring.

Seriously, don't create too much work for yourself. Bolt in the new engine and see how little needs to change.

Hello Naterhater, Wujek,

Actually it is a little more involved. The rad (larger than NA) and Intercooler need to be swapped but also the under hood wiring harness. Don't forget the battery, air filter housing (incl AMM), ABS Pump Assembly and windshield washer hardware are on opposite sides (NA vs Turbo). Plus the Turbo wiring harness includes the ballast resistor for the injectors (0 280 150 804 type). As you mentioned, the ECU needs to be changed. I believe the EZK Ignition module also but I'm still checking up on that one.

Having said all that, to everyone, please continue with the feedback as it will help me put together a plan. I won't get at this swap until early next year - to many other conflicting priorities at the moment including finishing a new 24 x 24 garage - to be used for this swap.

The Turbo car only has 147K km (91K mi) (2 owner with service history), but the body has some rust challenges whereas the wagon has close to 300K km (186 mi) but almost no rust. So I'll be swapping as many components as possible to extend the life of the wagon. :-)

The fun thing about this is you have a lot of options to play with. A lot of the stuff on your list doesn't need to be changed since you're swapping in the same engine. Literally all you need is the turbo parts and i guess you should change ECU's. This is a plug and play, bolt on swap, you dont even need to **** with the wiring.

Seriously, don't create too much work for yourself. Bolt in the new engine and see how little needs to change.

This is incorrect. You need to extend the maf wiring if you plan to install pre-turbo.

Hello Naterhater, Wujek,5
Actually it is a little more involved. The rad (larger than NA) and Intercooler need to be swapped but also the under hood wiring harness. Don't forget the battery, air filter housing (incl AMM), ABS Pump Assembly and windshield washer hardware are on opposite sides (NA vs Turbo). Plus the Turbo wiring harness includes the ballast resistor for the injectors (0 280 150 804 type). As you mentioned, the ECU needs to be changed. I believe the EZK Ignition module also but I'm still checking up on that one.

The NA radiator is the exact same size as the turbo radiator. The battery doesn't need to be moved as you can just use a cone filter to save you the trouble of moving battery and installing the air filter housing. You absolutely do not need to swap the harness(this would be a huge pita as the harness is integrated with everything else). You can use high impedance injectors from any 5 cylinder turbo model so you don't have to mess with installing the ballast resistor for injectors. You do have to extend the maf wiring if you plan on installing maf pre-turbo. You need both ecu and ezk(has completely different timing maps from an na).

Hello White855T,

I beg to differ on the rad. The rad in the 940 T I have is a good 5cm (2") taller than the one in
my 940 NA. By taller I mean it extends below the radiator cross member (the one the plastic engine shield attaches to), my NA rad stops at this cross member. I believe the rad in both cars is original as neither appears to be a replacement. I should point out that the 940 T is one that was assembled here in Canada (Halifax, Nova Scotia). The 940 NA was originally sold in Arizona and made its way to Canada in 2000. Could be the Canadian assembled T used a local rad supplier???? I don't know how far Volvo went with 'local content/suppliers'.

Understand your logic on the cone filter - it would save moving the ABS Pump Assembly as well the battery. It would mean extending the MAF wiring but that would not be that difficult. Fabricating a 'cold air box' for the air filter would be relatively simple.

I was on the fence regarding having the stock injectors (Bosch P/N 0 280 150 804), cleaned and flow tested but there is no one locally that I would trust. So, I'll need to source some new high impedance injectors as you suggested.

Hello White855T,
I beg to differ on the rad. The rad in the 940 T I have is a good 5cm (2") taller than the one in
my 940 NA. By taller I mean it extends below the radiator cross member

This had me scratching my head once.....the big 940t rad will fit it is narrow the last few inch's at the bottom and goes below the mounting surface of the short rad.

If 2 inches makes a difference to you then by all means use it! If you already have the parts, might as well use them.

Back