• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Oil filter seeping problem

Bitterbuffaloh

I've had a problem with oil changes, it's definitely user error, I must not be tightening the oil filter enough / too much as after every oil change I'll get oil leaking out of my filter. Any suggestions? Hanes manual says turn it into it touches the block, then turn 3/4. Problem is I can't really see down there.

Anyways, it's leaking now. Might be a dumb question, but can I take off the engine oil filter to inspect the seal / reseat it. Or do I have to do a complete oil drain, then inspect?

Don't need to drain the oil. A tiny amount will drain out of the oil passages in the block, and up to a pint might drain out of the filter itself, but the 4 quarts in the pan will not.

Are you lubing the seal prior to installing the new filter? It needs to be able to slide around as it gets tightened that last bit, otherwise it can grab and 'wrinkle'. Also, make sure there are no old seal bits stuck on the block.

Usually, unless you're really GORILLA BRUTE STRENGTHING it on there, the only issue with over tightening is getting it off in 5K miles. Too loose, and the seal might pop out under pressure.

Make sure you didn't double gasket the filter. Also are you sure it's coming from the filter? It could be oil seeping out the valve cover seal, cam seal, or turbo if your car has one.

Mine ended up being the valve cover seal when i had the issue

also yeah you can pull the filter off but some oil will come out and you might need to top it off.

Make sure you didn't double gasket the filter. Also are you sure it's coming from the filter? It could be oil seeping out the valve cover seal, cam seal, or turbo if your car has one.

Mine ended up being the valve cover seal when i had the issue

also yeah you can pull the filter off but some oil will come out and you might need to top it off.

Ok topping it off works for me. Hmm not double gasketing the filter, just taking the old, making sure the gasket isn't sticking to engine block, and twisting on new one with the gasket on it. I'm pretty sure it's the filter as it only happens when I change the filter and also it is seeping directly onto the engine mount thats right below it.

Ok topping it off works for me. Hmm not double gasketing the filter, just taking the old, making sure the gasket isn't sticking to engine block, and twisting on new one with the gasket on it. I'm pretty sure it's the filter as it only happens when I change the filter and also it is seeping directly onto the engine mount thats right below it.

You didn't mention putting fresh oil on the filter seal before installing.

Does the oil filter attach to an adapter with oil cooler lines?

If so, the attachment of the adapter may be loosening up and need to be retightened.

Back