• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

HIGH PERFORMANCE: Accessory Placement

The mock up car is an 86. I always use the stock alternator for fitment. This car also has the divorced power steering pump resavoir setup. Iirc the 16v setup interferes with the integrated one. And not much I can do with it either, the throttle body wouldn't fit under hood

Do you still have the mock up pics?

Crap. I don't see it installed in the car. How bad is the fitment

With the manifold tilted like this:

And the alternator tucked fully in:

As you can see I tried to grind that bump down, but it's like 3/4 of an inch, and even then it would still be *so close* that adjusting and heatsoak would be a legitimate concern.

thats what I call a header! Try the small Denso first! It will still be close if it clears. I test fit a Ebay header on the 93 red wagon and had the same problem. I switched to the small alternator and
All was good and enough clearance building custom brackets not needed. That header built from jig I think and 16 v is wider head. Ac stuff not going to work and if you have the Nathan intake intake you will have to run the earlier PS tank. When you say Nathan manifold most think sheet metal intake. If you don't have one of his intakes, now would be the time to get one built.
Also you will need a 90 welded to the water pump to get proper distance for the hose.

Last edited:
It might be the picture but it looks like it's just barely touching and once you start to put some tension on, it would clear. Doesn't the alternator rotate kind of downward? I haven't owned a 240 for some time now.

It might be the picture but it looks like it's just barely touching and once you start to put some tension on, it would clear. Doesn't the alternator rotate kind of downward? I haven't owned a 240 for some time now.

It really rotates out more than anything.

I'm going to look into extending the adjusting bracket. The framerails will get in the way at some point

thats what I call a header! Try the small Denso first! It will still be close if it clears. I test fit a Ebay header on the 93 red wagon and had the same problem. I switched to the small alternator and
All was good and enough clearance building custom brackets not needed. That header built from jig I think and 16 v is wider head. Ac stuff not going to work and if you have the Nathan intake intake you will have to run the earlier PS tank. When you say Nathan manifold most think sheet metal intake. If you don't have one of his intakes, now would be the time to get one built.
Also you will need a 90 welded to the water pump to get proper distance for the hose.

Yeah I have the intake as well. I also have a shortened stock b234f manifold.

The Nathan stuff was for a different motor. I have a jpipe that frustrated me with clearance issues so I cracked this guy open.
That picture is with a Denso alternator.

Hmm tough one. In case it helps you picture things, this is my engine with the late style alt bracket extended ~1.5" with a denso

sZgN6sH.jpg

That is a thing of beauty. Must be a smaller case alternator you could make work. What about one of the many GM variants? They put out better charging current anyway. I was using the 700 series Denso alt on my X1/9 & switched it out for a GM - only have to cut the mount ear back to gain correct offset.

7CC16552-BDE2-4FDD-A620-7F7246B54A72_zpsaj50vpqy.jpg

41207278-4AE7-43FC-9F42-B88A1BB65018_zpsv7btusb9.jpg

might give you more options....

Besides the alternator, to me it looks like it's going to shove the wastegates into the strut tower every time the engine moves. And uhh... where's the turbo supposed to go??

I wish I had taken pictures with my camera, rather than my potato. Mine is also close like that. I had to hammer the strut tower a bit to clear the waste gates. My manifold looks like the turbo sits in the same spot, which surprisingly it actually fits fine. I'm most worried about the tube connecting the wastegates, we will see. Maybe I'll throw in a block and head with the manifold.

The other bitch is trying to get it in with studs in the head. Nathan told me he bolted the manifold to the head rather than use the studs.

I've already forgotten, does your water pump fit? Mine has been cut and angled.

Jorsan

Back