• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Crank/Camshaft seal installation tools

billkaz

Bomber Dream
Timing belt is coming up soon, and I'm planning on replacing the front seals while I'm in there. I've already purchased new seals from my local Volvo dealer.

Any thoughts on seal installation tools? Or can you get by without them?

You can get by without them if you are careful. I have done so many and hope to replace more belts so I bought the tools. They are nice and the tools are still sold by venders like Baum tools and Volvo sells them too.

If you don't use the tools. Be sure to clean the surfaces very well so the lip of the seal doesn't get damaged going on to the shafts.

seal installation tools?

Mechanic's Pick and Hook Set works fine for removing seals there.

I've used plastic/metal pipe whose outer diameter just covers outer metal area where seal seats, so seal is flush with its housing when done. I've done this for years with other vehicles, including FWD vehicles (CV shaft seals). It should not take much hammer pressure, but it needs to be uniform across pipe used.

Best low $ tool I've seen to pull the seals from the engine is a paint can lid opener...... tiny hook on the business end is perfect for reaching in beside the rotating shaft. User end looks a bit like a beer bottle opener Damned amazing quick removal!

I had a machinist buddy lathe up the proper sleeve to install the new ones; uses the center bolt to pull the seal into position.

OEM gray Volvo types..... I won't install the red Elring ones again, leak prone.

Back