• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 to 960 manual electronics help

Nerddage

Hello

I am starting to order parts to turn my 1994 940 into a 960 with an m90 . The issue I need help on is integrating the b6304 Naturally Aspirated engine into the car electronically. I was thinking about gutting the harness/cluster/ecu and everything else off the donor car...but I am not sure if it is the best idea considering I plan on rebuilding the motor later on and tuning it.

There might be an easy solution, but this is not my wheelhaus. If I am doing it, I may as well figure out the best way to do it and do it right the first time.

Please don't give me a bunch of guff. I have/love my 940 and want it faster and naturally aspirated. I know I could buy a 960 and shove the whiteblock m90 in but its not MY volvo.

If I am in the wrong thread, please move me mods.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Since this is TB, expect "guff" from the turbochimps.... they really can't help themselves.

Search for user LANKKU, I think he resides in Finland. Has done multiple whiteblock conversions to RWD platforms. Should be able to steer you easily toward solutions for the integration. He posts with some regularity here; also has a build thread you can review. Good luck!

Working on a B6304 swap into my 85 740 now. Since I bought a complete 97 S90 for the engine, I had options. I could have swapped the entire chassis harness as the less brainpower option, I've done this before on other vehicles. Decided I didn't want to take the Volvo that far apart, would have to pull the dash blah. So I think I'm going to use all the wiring from under the hood of the 960 in my 740, currently has the typical rotted harness. I pulled the entire dash and chassis harness from the S90, and actually hooked it all together and did a function test on my garage floor.

Anyways, hop on over to volvowiringdiagrams.com and download the diagrams for both cars and start tracing wiring. it's possible to make it standalone as well.

Working on a B6304 swap into my 85 740 now. Since I bought a complete 97 S90 for the engine, I had options. I could have swapped the entire chassis harness as the less brainpower option, I've done this before on other vehicles. Decided I didn't want to take the Volvo that far apart, would have to pull the dash blah. So I think I'm going to use all the wiring from under the hood of the 960 in my 740, currently has the typical rotted harness. I pulled the entire dash and chassis harness from the S90, and actually hooked it all together and did a function test on my garage floor.

Anyways, hop on over to volvowiringdiagrams.com and download the diagrams for both cars and start tracing wiring. it's possible to make it standalone as well.

Thanks, this is good info.

i ramble a bit and then forget my points. haha.

But I figure on swapping everything in with the stock management and N/A. Once I go turbo I'll likely build an MS3X into a stock ecu case and make it plug n play for the most part. Tho I know a turbo on the stock electronics has been done, bigger injectors, and turn up the fuel pressure a bit.

Check out Lankku's threads and his photo album site, lots of good info. Likely the most experienced B6304 swapper on this site.

i ramble a bit and then forget my points. haha.

But I figure on swapping everything in with the stock management and N?A. Once I go turbo I'll likely build an MS3X into a stock ecu case and make it plug n play for the most part. Tho I know a turbo on the stock electronics has been done, bigger injectors, and turn up the fuel pressure a bit.

I am also looking into using motronics 4.4 in the swap for future tuning. I am talking to lankku and it seems thats the best way to go for tuning later on. Its a bitch to hook up, but so is an engine swap.... might as well do it right the first time.

Back