• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Lh2.4 on a modded b230, opinions please.

Avtovaz

I have a b230a ina bmw e36, its been fully rebuilt with new rings etc, its got a fast road cam, 46/38 valves, solid lifters, 11:1, ported head, cast manifold, straight threw exhaust, lh 2.4 inlet, 850r injectors, using bmw M44b19 ecu and sensors.

ATM, its running and sounds good, its not being mapped yet. The part im asking about is the inlet, i have to stay with the standard inlet design for the rallying i do. Now, i dont know roughly how much power the motor should do, but i have heard the lh2.4 inlet can only cope with 170 bhp in standard form. Is that true?

I dont know if this motor will do a low bhp and massive torque? Before i had a m44b19 in the car, it did 180 bhp and 160 lbs, bu ti was all revs. Hoping this will pull a lot stronger, but is that inlet going to restrict it alot?

thanks

You could consider modifying a kjetronic intake manifold so it uses electronic fuel injectors. That manifold flows a bit better than the efi volvo manifold. If the intake manifold has to stay stock volvo that is a way to use a stock volvo part for more airflow.

What manifold are you using if it's a B230A?

I'd bite the bullet and get a KL racing manifold with one of the smaller throttle body options. Not that much more expensive than getting a B21 manifold modded, especially if you want the injectors to actually point at the back of the valves.

the rules i am applying to are

max of 4 cylinders, fuel injection systems may be fitted where it was standard equipment by the manufacturer of that engine type and where the original plenum chamber and throttle body type is reattained for that engine type.

I can use a carb, but only with 2 chokes. Injection is much better.

SO i can t put injectors in the early inlet, and cant really change anything 'noticable..'

Manifold now is a lh2.4 froma turbo, with 850r injectors, its not been rollign roaded yet, i dont know really how itll work out.

Just wondered if the inlet i have now is really going to be holding it back?

Yeah it's absolute garbage and will definitely hold you back. Runners are small and plenum is tiny.

It's hard to tell from the angle of the video, but it might be a stock intake manifold on this engine. Throttle spool, and the "accordian" intake pipe appear to be stock from what I can see. Drifts N' Lifts did a dyno video as well, and put down a little over 170 to the wheels with a stock intake. While the stock intake manifold may be a restriction, it looks like it should be good more than 170HP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgpnXDQLefU

i wonder if he has played with that inlet at all?!

translation says

" Timo's concept engine step 2 Volvo B230 std 531 top 46/38 wait. 13.10 camshaft type 3 branch pipe Org. LH 2.4 inject. Special chip 7250rpm Power 213.5 BHP 244.5 NM @ 5300 RPM Braked in DTE Racing's Superflow 901 bench."

so simular to mine apart from mine is standard cast manifold, but a 530 but its been flowed out.

interesting as it says 213 bhp, im looking for 180 if im lucky i thought!

is there a forum somewhere, or someone i can contact about the rally class they run in sweden, i think its quite restricted and they use the lh2.4 ...

thanks

thanks, i cant find much about that but i typed it into facebook, saw a few lads with vovlo rally cars come up and ive tried to add as friends and see what happens from there ! thanks

Back