• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Vagabond...again

vagabond

So Jenn decided she didnt want the 80 242 she had, and was going to scrap it. after a little talking while trying to strip parts off the car, most of them were thrown back in the trunk and the whole car made its way home with me. I've been wanting to build another car, and I've been wanting to give my 242 a make over, so this is kinda a solution. Lets see how fast this car can come back to life. :-D

on with the pictures.
DSCN1493.jpg

...yes.. when its raining i use vagabond to push dead cars around
DSCN0001_2.jpg

DSCN1494.jpg

DSCN1498.jpg

DSCN1497.jpg

rust issue number 1. I'll need to be left alone with my welder for this one.
DSCN1499.jpg

DSCN1500.jpg

after we rolled it off the trailer, i really wanted to see if it would run. So i grabbed a coil off the shelf that i stripped out of a chevyII...nigeria rigged that... i knew it had fuel issues, so i sprayed carb cleaner down in the intake...
DSCN1496.jpg

and ill be damn... it lives.

This isnt going to be a full resto job. Going to be a friday/saturday night fun thing. paint is a must. so stay tuned if you'd like. there will be a lot of documentation :nod:

I'm so glad you're going to save this. I'd have hated to send it to a scrapper. :spin:

And thank you, so much, for returning my leaves. The weeds appreciated it.

Cool to see you saving this. I got scrapped a 242 not too long ago in similar shape, no one wanted it. I'm glad to see this thing will be saved.

Would you mind grabbing some more pics/measurements of the rack you built for your other 242? No rush, just whenever you get around to it. You can PM me too if you want since you probably don't wanna clutter up this thread.

SICK!
so will this or the original vag ever get bagged??

heh, vag :oogle:

hopefully after i finish this car and sell it, the money from that will go into getting the bags for the front struts. i have practically everything i need. minus the actual bags.

Dope, ya no worries man, ill snap a couple the next time ive got my camera out.

It's my old car! I knew it would run.. It was running when I parked it a few years ago. IIRC, the master cyl was shot in it.

It's my old car! I knew it would run.. It was running when I parked it a few years ago. IIRC, the master cyl was shot in it.

cool man. thanks. im gonna be swapping the title this week, i never got a chance to. its still in your name.

also... incoming progress pics in 3....2...

so had a weekend to work. between a full suspension job on a mk4 and rolling fenders on a cabrio...this is what i got done....

also managed to get the junk yard.. .and stike gold.. :)

so first, the ugly..

DSCN1501.jpg

DSCN1502.jpg

DSCN1503.jpg

DSCN1504.jpg

DSCN1505.jpg

DSCN1506.jpg

DSCN1507.jpg

uhh... but... it can not has power steearering..i find this box in trunk.
DSCN1515.jpg

DSCN1520.jpg

i stopped here in the front... gonna get a game plan... now for the rear....

Last edited:
i cleaned up the interior. got rid of all the stinky stuff..

DSCN1513.jpg

DSCN1514.jpg

then i attacked the rear with no remorse.

DSCN1517.jpg

DSCN1519.jpg

holy gas tank
DSCN1518.jpg

bye bye gas tank
DSCN1516.jpg

DSCN1523.jpg

DSCN1524.jpg

DSCN1525.jpg

and some stuff fell on the floor..
DSCN1522.jpg

Last edited:
and for the junk victory day... never had this much luck before at the bone yard...

DSCN1527.jpg

scored another set of 5 panels.. plus the ones i got with the car.
DSCN1528.jpg

got a window latch for the rear. now it shuts without tape.

and then... i heard you like flathoods..
securedownload-1.jpg

so i put a flathood on your flathood.

it stayed on!
DSCN1526.jpg

DSCN1531.jpg

DSCN1533.jpg

DSCN1534.jpg

DSCN1536.jpg

DSCN1535.jpg

DSCN1539.jpg

and literally the bucket of rust so far...
DSCN1540.jpg

Last edited:
guy working at the boneyard cash register was like "you really want that rusty hood...?"

i said... "huh? rus........ .... oh, yea yea. im building a ratrod"

...walks away with primer brown flathood for $20.....

Back