• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

960+t

can you get one of those ebay t3/t4 things with something like a .82 housing? i feel like a small turbo would be pretty awesome. like a scaled up version of a stock 940 turbo.

I am conflicted. On the one hand, I want to love what you are doing and copy it myself. On the other hand I'm whipped and only allowed one project car so your progress toward awesome is incredibly painful to watch.

Keep up the good work (err... planning, as it were). :volvo:

What he said^

What sort of oil pressure do these motors make? I would urge you to get one of these http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ATP-OIL-022 if it is nearly as much as a redblock's.

Ian, I haven't heard anything negative about them...

PS, have you considered a Holset HX40?

i'd +1 a holset
I'm not sure what pressure they make. I want to make like 250-300whp max, I feel like that's well below the efficiency range of an hx40, or an hx35 for that matter. Maybe I'm out of touch, but I thought I'd be pushing like 8-10 psi and making all the power the automatic and motor could handle.
I am conflicted. On the one hand, I want to love what you are doing and copy it myself. On the other hand I'm whipped and only allowed one project car so your progress toward awesome is incredibly painful to watch.

Keep up the good work (err... planning, as it were). :volvo:
It's my DD. I've always had a rule about ****ing with DDs, but this car is so boring - but so nice. I hope I can do a good job and make a reliable DD out of the setup.

I see. Thought the T3 hotside of a hybrid turbo could potentially choke the big 6, considering it has the potential to move much more air per cc than a Redblock. Essantially you would have a motor producing a lot of low end torque, which is what kills the 5-cylinder Whiteblocks. I would personally go with something with a bigger hotside and run very little boost. I do know next to jack **** but please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Waiting to get an earful from Alex in 3...2...1...

Last edited:
I see. Thought the T3 hotside of a hybrid turbo could potentially choke the big 6, considering it has the potential to move much more air per cc than a Redblock. Essantially you would have a motor producing a lot of low end torque, which is what kills the 5-cylinder Whiteblocks. I would personally go with something with a bigger hotside and run very little boost. I do know next to jack **** but please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Waiting to get an earful from Kenny in 3...2...1...

The "high boost at low RPM kills whiteblocks" mantra is absolute baloney and doesn't stand up to more than five seconds of brainpower applied to the situation. The load on a connecting rod always goes up as RPM goes up. The truth is that ****ty manifolding, choked down hotsides, and above all, improper tuning is what kills any engine.

Yeah I suspect improper tuning might be the dealbreaker - the whiteblock 850 guys are using stock or 'chipped' ECUs that I'd bet aren't mapped properly for high boost at that low RPM, so the ignition timing is too aggressive I bet. Same goes for the LH 2.4 guys, there's some initial ping on boost onset with the higher-boost cars.

Mr. Buchka - I only have four seconds of brainpower to spare, but I have a question:
You said the load on a connecting rod goes up as RPM goes up. What about where the peak torque is? I don't know dick about a whiteblock, but assume a 13c-powered redblock - peak torque hits at 2500-3000 rpm? By the time we've got to 6,000 rpm, the t-cam is starving the motor of any further power - is RPM more of a factor than the torque being produced?

The "high boost at low RPM kills whiteblocks" mantra is absolute baloney and doesn't stand up to more than five seconds of brainpower applied to the situation. The load on a connecting rod always goes up as RPM goes up. The truth is that ****ty manifolding, choked down hotsides, and above all, improper tuning is what kills any engine.

That explains it then. Wouldn't the ability to run, say 250-300whp at lower boost from a Holset be better compared to the same peak power from a T3 frame turbo at higher boost in terms of strain to the overall system? I would think so considering the same (or more) air would be moving with less pressure applied on the components.

Also, seconds of educated brainpower. I would appreciate being educated without having to take any put-downs in the process.

Yeah but with a holset - especially an hx-40 you're suggesting, I'm probably loosing 750-1000 rpm of spool.

I imagined a .63 "STAGE THREE" ebay turbo would do me right. Plus, holset prices have gone sky-high. My he-351 was $175 in perfect shape - now I can't seem to find one easily for under tree hunnert.

I would run a T3 without question. In fact, I went as far into looking at whether the S80 T6 turbo (the new one) and manifold would fit, as that's the ultimate for daily driving. It won't fit without an adaptor plate and the turbo would hit the mount, so that's out too :(. That said, maybe a recent EVO Twin Scroll turbo connected to custom up pipes mated to the stock S80 t6 manifolds (Of which I have 2 sets) could work nicely.

evo9turbo.jpg

Last edited:
with bp standing tall on the wiring side, what could possibly go wrong? His 740 is a model of efficiency an reliability.

oh wait :-P :-D

There was a T6 at jessup last saturday, only saw one turbo/manifold.

I'd say a big T3 would do. Should be able to find the ~.82 internal gated T3 with something like a T04B cold side. i'm just guessing. find other examples of what works on a 4v 3L 6.

There was a complete s80 t6 at the jy on half off day. Looked mint. Musta had a blown transmission. I shoulda grabbed everything.

with bp standing tall on the wiring side, what could possibly go wrong? His 740 is a model of efficiency an reliability.

oh wait :-P :-D
However hacked mine is, he did a lot of mine and it looked really good before it got hacked up at SE for the resistor pack and a few other things.
He just fails at LH.

lol@beepee though
There was a T6 at jessup last saturday, only saw one turbo/manifold.

I'd say a big T3 would do. Should be able to find the ~.82 internal gated T3 with something like a T04B cold side. i'm just guessing. find other examples of what works on a 4v 3L 6.
That T6 was complete two weeks ago. I read the factory manifolds don't fit the 960 though.
I've looked somewhat on ebay for the ~82 AR internall gated turbos. I thought a typhoon/syclone turbo could work, but I cant find one on ebay.
I guess I'm not sure what to look for. There don't seem to be any internally gated turbos with an A/R over .63 [from ebay].

Maybe it's time for a trip to goldfarb

Back