• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

2jzgte 740 wagon build

rayshake

Figure I'll start a build thread for this thing to document it and supply information to anyone considering this venture. Started as a 1989 740 turbo wagon. I love the car so much that when the transmission began acting funny, I decided to keep it rather than get another car as I normally do. Problem was, I don't really have Volvo parts laying around, but do have lots of Japanese engines and parts. I considered everything from SR20 nissan engines, RB26 skyline, 1jzgte and 2jzgte. I knew I would keep it automatic for some reason so I had to consider transmission control options. After thinking it over, I settled on the 2JZ engine due to the transmission control built into the ECU for ease of install and decent stock power. Plus, they're stupid cheap.

Got an early aristo engine, put rear sump supra pans on it, supra water pump, new seals and belts.

Engine bay the day we pulled motor..
DSC_0085.jpg

2jz in..
DSC_0093.jpg

Shot of wagonness...
DSC_0094-1.jpg

For mounts, all I did was add plate to top of right volvo mount bracket and slightly change the angle
DSC_0096.jpg

Forgot about hardware clearance so had to mill some out.
DSC_0092-1.jpg

Left mount.. Had to add piece of pipe to change the angle and space up to clear rack stuff and then add plate to space to rear. Again, stock volvo mount bracket
DSC_0095.jpg

Pretty easy. Using delrin for mockup mounts due to ease of machining and cheap. Forgot to add that you have to cut up the subframe pretty serious and restructure for sump clearance. Plus massaging the tunnel a bit to clear the rear turbo compressor inlet. Not a problem if going single. I like sequential twins though and am keeping it that way for a bit.

Trans mount can somewhat be seen in background, I sort of made from stuff that was laying around the shop. It was 2AM. I suck at MIG welding and wanted it done fast so don't mind the ugliness. Still easy though.
DSC_0090.jpg

It fits surprisingly well and looks like it belongs in there. A brake line out of the master cyl is close, but fine. That's about it. Tons of room everywhere. Here's a few shots from various angles for reference.
DSC_0097.jpg

DSC_0098-1.jpg

DSC_0099-1.jpg

I have a custom dual pass radiator from Griffin and a Spal fan that I should have tomorrow or monday that I need to have before making intercooler and piping.

For Power steering fluid connections, I'm using all earls for the high pressure and the stock volvo low pressure line due to clearance issues. The rack fittings are 14mm X 1.5 and you have to use a banjo to -6 to clear the crossmember. Pump is 16mm X 1.5. Feed from stock volvo reservoir to pump is same size and will be used.
DSC_0091-1.jpg

That's where I am for now. I wish I could work on it full time rather than 8 or so hours a week after hours, but if everything goes as smooth as it has to date, it should be completed pretty soon. Anyways, I'll try to keep taking pics to share since most of my friends aren't really into this sort of thing. I'm really into this car though and figured I'd share my excitement.

Last edited:
can you get a pic of how the sump and all that fits back there? (And on a side note, you might have been able to use a stock 960 trans mount, they share the same transmission and the 960 body is essentially the same)

yep, suprisingly the swap is smooth, well on a 240 it is anyway. if the red block in my 740 take a crap i may do this as well.

could be....on a side note i discovered that they make adapter plates to put a redblock in a 914 porsche/bug/911. that would be some fun stuff.

can you get a pic of how the sump and all that fits back there? (And on a side note, you might have been able to use a stock 960 trans mount, they share the same transmission and the 960 body is essentially the same)

I'll get some pics. Probably after we finish the crossmember.

Few differences between the transmissions inside and outside. I did get a tailhousing and output flange from a guy on here for experimentation purposes. The housing bolts to the 2j trans, but is lacking the speed sensor. The output flange saling surface for the output flange must also be different diameters. The Volvo 960 output flange bolts the the 2j trans but you will have to turn the ID to accept a supra style seal or widen the existing O-ring groove to accept a wider/thicker O-ring to properly seat on the 2j output shaft. Then you have to cut the driveshaft aligning pilot off the output shaft to be able to fit a standard U-joint type flange.

Or you could just make adapters to go from the stupid 3 bolt rubber damped to a 4 bolt.
Or just buy from driveshaft shop since they already make them.
Or buy a Supra output flange that is 4 bolt already. And still cut off the pilot.

I decided to keep the trans and housing at least stock 2j since I have a few spares. Now deciding which route to do the end flange.

Anyone run 3" one piece driveshafts through that hole in a 740 with live axle? Seems like a really tight fit. Especially with my stock suspension travel.

ive seen one person do it but they modded the tunnel whare the support bearing was. id say go with a 2 piece set up. sould be less headaches that way

Also, I find it funny that most that respond are from Montgomery, Alabama. That's where I'm from. Guess we're all rednecks. There weren't as many title loan places and shut down businesses when I lived there though like 17 years ago. I'm still there a few time a year.

I am in the process of doing the same swap in a 97 960. Would love to stop by and chat/share builds sometime. i am in NJ and don't mind takind the drive. I have a built 2J with R154 ready to drop into the 960. I have done this a couple of times with the 1J motor where I ended up lowering the crossmember a bit to avoid having to do too much cutting. PM me.

Also, I find it funny that most that respond are from Montgomery, Alabama. That's where I'm from. Guess we're all rednecks. There weren't as many title loan places and shut down businesses when I lived there though like 17 years ago. I'm still there a few time a year.

hey you got a cullowhee, nc redneck here too.. just a cheap imitation thou im just going to skewl and am really from the chapel hill/carrboro area lol

I thought this would be one of those lets talk about a 2jz swap in a 745 thread lol...

Haha do work!!

looks awesome :-D.

Glad to see people out there still doing things.

Back