• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Clutch for Mustang T5 Advice

I've done a little research on using a smaller disc than was intended for the pressure plate. Not many articles out there but some say it's an old trick they did to gain more clamp in the 60s, some call bull****.

If anything, It'll just create a small right on the inside of the pressure plate, 1/4" wide, not much.

I've also looked at how much the 9000 plate will hold. I'm weary about everything so most people say it'll hold 300 - 400hp, some people say it'll slip. everyone uses terms like stage 3, stage 4 which is ambiguous. I'm sure it'll be okay. I digress.

On rock auto which seem to supply good details about clutches, the thunderbird did use a 9.25" disc on some, but they don't supply a sachs or luk version, just some aftermarket stuff which I question the reliability of.

I've done a little research on using a smaller disc than was intended for the pressure plate. Not many articles out there but some say it's an old trick they did to gain more clamp in the 60s, some call bull****.

If anything, It'll just create a small right on the inside of the pressure plate, 1/4" wide, not much.

I've also looked at how much the 9000 plate will hold. I'm weary about everything so most people say it'll hold 300 - 400hp, some people say it'll slip. everyone uses terms like stage 3, stage 4 which is ambiguous. I'm sure it'll be okay. I digress.

On rock auto which seem to supply good details about clutches, the thunderbird did use a 9.25" disc on some, but they don't supply a sachs or luk version, just some aftermarket stuff which I question the reliability of.

I mean... you're putting a T5 trans into a Volvo. Reliability should get moved down the list.

Reliability should get moved down the list.
Thats the turbobrick spirit.

Any leads on an original clutch for the 9 1/2"?

This seems like my best shot for a decent clutch on the cheap $$$ FAFSA can only pay for so much.

Yeah I crossed the number, it's actually 8 7/8"... odd.

I've been searching and the only 9.25" discs they sell or I can find are aftermarket brands, which I don't want to use.

If I may... once you go T5, pulling the trans takes an hour and isn't even close to a pain. So... if you end up with some garbage clutch disc... I'm sure it's nbd to swap.

That all said, the options end up being spend money on expensive aftermarket, or spend money on cheap aftermarket I guess?

Long story short, did the t5 swap, got a clutch from clutchnet, slipped to hell so I tried to get another made, the guy from clutchnet ghosted me so I filed a case through paypal, now I'm getting a refund and I need a new clutch.

Questions

1. I have an 215mm flywheel. Is it costly to have it redrilled for a 228mm pressure plate. Is it worth it to get the extra surface. I've had this past clutch slip so I don't want another, but I'm not made of money.

2. Where's the best place to get a clutch made. I'll never use clutchnet again. I've heard good things from southbend clutch, and some mixed reviews from spec and some other places. Need some input from those who have used the companies. \

My power levels aren't crazy 200hp-300hp atm.

I know there's 100 posts about this and I've checked through most. Just need some answers.

That's nice to know, I just ordered on the first of the year the same kit from ClutchNet you probably did. We shall see if mine works, what exactly failed on yours? The disc or the plate?

Last edited:
We shall see if mine works, what exactly failed on yours? The disc or the plate?

I just pulled the tranny which only took a couple hours, and inspected the disc and plate.

The pressure plate had grooves in it (like a vinyl record) , but no heat marks

The disc looked fine, the thickness was in spec (8mm)

The flywheel didn't look too bad, some very tiny hot spots, but I'll be resurfacing anyway.

So I'm lead to believe that Clutchnet must've not done the work necessary to make this clutch hold. The pedal feel felt no different than stock, which is good, but made me worried because a heavier clutch should have a stiffer pedal.

Talking to Mr. Clutchnet on the phone the few times I did, he mentioned heat treating a lot, but never went into the other things he does. I'm curious if he did all that was necessary.

In the end, I couldn't see anything blatant that caused the issue, so I'll pray for yours and hope you don't have the same issue I did.

Would this work? One inch spline or is T5 trans 1 3/8?

1949-1953 Ford Flathead V8 and 6 Cylinder Stock Replacement 9.5" Clutch Disc

Please verify your existing clutch is currently a 9 1/2"

Kit Includes:
One #8BA-7550 clutch disc

http://dennis-carpenter.com/clutch-d.../p/8BA-7550-N/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-flathe...-/261210095349

T-5 is 1 1/16" x 10 spline.

I think my two options now are either to see if southbend can do a 240mm organic disc (Which should hold the power from what I hear) for ~$200 ish

Or to buy the sachs kit off summit or something which is 9.125" and just run it. ~80$

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/luk-07-038/overview/make/ford/model/thunderbird

I just pulled the tranny which only took a couple hours, and inspected the disc and plate.

The pressure plate had grooves in it (like a vinyl record) , but no heat marks

The disc looked fine, the thickness was in spec (8mm)

The flywheel didn't look too bad, some very tiny hot spots, but I'll be resurfacing anyway.

So I'm lead to believe that Clutchnet must've not done the work necessary to make this clutch hold. The pedal feel felt no different than stock, which is good, but made me worried because a heavier clutch should have a stiffer pedal.

Talking to Mr. Clutchnet on the phone the few times I did, he mentioned heat treating a lot, but never went into the other things he does. I'm curious if he did all that was necessary.

In the end, I couldn't see anything blatant that caused the issue, so I'll pray for yours and hope you don't have the same issue I did.

On mine I convinced him to do a half organic and half ceramic disk to get it closer to the 400ft lbs crank that will be my final goal. Worst case i can run my 6 puck with his pressure plate. The main factor in my setup was a weak pressure plate and I really hope his would fix that. Maybe yours didn't break in right somehow on the pressure plate so it wasnt making good contact?

Maybe yours didn't break in right somehow on the pressure plate so it wasnt making good contact?

I drove several thousand miles and it did not improve, it only got worse. My 15g started leaking oil so I went back to my 13c so I'm not throwing much at it. I certainly think the ceramic plate will help. Make sure you resurface the flywheel and always remember to get your clutch's blessed by a known pastor before installation.

I drove several thousand miles and it did not improve, it only got worse. My 15g started leaking oil so I went back to my 13c so I'm not throwing much at it. I certainly think the ceramic plate will help. Make sure you resurface the flywheel and always remember to get your clutch's blessed by a known pastor before installation.
Or just get one from South bend that bolts on and works.

Okay guys I ordered a pressure plate from euro and I'll be getting a dual friction (organic / ceramic) from southbend made ($225). Finally using my wallet

I'm leaning towards southbend since I'm in Chicago, I'd be able to pick it up since I'm in a time crunch and need it quick.

I've never heard of Kennedy clutch. I've seen a lot of people do the saab pp but I don't know how much it"ll cost or how long it'll take to get that work done.

hey I'm in chicago and currently doing a t5 swap and big turbo if you have any tips and tricks or be down to help pm me

Back