• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

140 stock tank or Fuel cell

Ilvmetal

Just started to look at my external pump options to make my B230 16V not fuel starved and looks like the Aeromotive A1000 Fuel Pump is a popular option but that $350 price tag hurts.
My stock tank is very clean and had plans of having my spare tire mounted center of the trunk for even weight distribution so I would love to use it.
My concern is having fuel shortage when cornering and then having to install a fuel cell after all. Maybe just keep the stock tank and see if that monster pump just sucks it dry!!
Any alternative to the pricey Aeromotive A1000 ??
The fuel pump cost was overlooked and i'm broke!!

Hp goal? There are surge tanks that internally house 1 or 2 Bosch 044 pumps, tegen all you need is a high volume low pressure pump to pull from the tank.

The original D jet fuel system was set up for use with Bosch rolling element fuel pumps. Those pumps seemed to be pretty adept at dealing with low / negative heads on the suction port. The Aeromotive, maybe not so good. The instructions from Aeromotive say

To ensure proper fuel pump performance and longevity, mount pump level with
or lower than the bottom, and as close to the tank, as possible.

If you choose not to install a reservoir sump, then you must install a high flow
capacity fuel tank pickup (9/16” to 5/8” inner tube diameter). Installing pickup
tube instead of a reservoir sump may shorten the fuel pump life and cause
drivability problems. When using a pickup, you should maintain at least ? tank
of fuel to avoid possible engine lean-out and/or fuel pump damage.

I have a 1971 142 E. The entrance port on the pump is definitely not below the lowest point on the tank and the stock suction line definitely exits the tank well above the pump suction port. Not a problem for the rolling element pump that I am using. I love the comment about never going below the 1/2 fill level. That is what makes me think that the Aeromotive probably doesn't deal well with low pressure on the suction port. I think the 1973 140 has the forward mounted tank so perhaps the fuel pump and suction lines are better positioned.

You might want to consider one of the Aeromotive in tank kits; however, not exactly the ticket if you think $350 hurts.

Hp goal? There are surge tanks that internally house 1 or 2 Bosch 044 pumps, tegen all you need is a high volume low pressure pump to pull from the tank.

Well never dynoed but the previous owner poulrais states around 400. Thinking at this point a fuel cell will be the way to go. Looking onto the duel 044 pumps :oogle:

Hmmm - if you thought $350 for an Aeromotive A1000 hurts, it would seem like a fuel cell with dual fuel pumps would be like a root canal without anaesthesia. But, if you like to spend, go for it.

A lift pump to fill a surge tank, and connect a Walbro 255lph with a 3/8 or larger hose to the surge tank and mount the pump close to and below the surge tank so it has a flooded inlet.
Use a boost referenced FPR on the rail and return fuel to the surge tank. Mount the pump on a plate with 4 rubber feets so it does not transmit noise to the body.

A Walbro GSL392 can safely support 550-600 HP. for $89 on amazon.
The goto regulator is a Aeromotive 13205.
Beware of cheap counterfeits for both these products.

A large surge tank will compensate for most fuel starvation problems or multiple lift pumps in opposite corners of the main tank for gnarly hill climb or road course action.
If you are building a tank you can build the surge tank into the top of the tank and put 2 255 pumps in it, 1 to make the high pressure and the other to run multiple siphon pumps to fill the surge tank.

Last edited:
A lift pump to fill a surge tank, and connect a Walbro 255lph with a 3/8 or larger hose to the surge tank and mount the pump close to and below the surge tank so it has a flooded inlet.
Use a boost referenced FPR on the rail and return fuel to the surge tank. Mount the pump on a plate with 4 rubber feets so it does not transmit noise to the body.

A Walbro GSL392 can safely support 550-600 HP. for $89 on amazon.
The goto regulator is a Aeromotive 13205.
Beware of cheap counterfeits for both these products.

A large surge tank will compensate for most fuel starvation problems or multiple lift pumps in opposite corners of the main tank for gnarly hill climb or road course action.
If you are building a tank you can build the surge tank into the top of the tank and put 2 255 pumps in it, 1 to make the high pressure and the other to run multiple siphon pumps to fill the surge tank.

Genius! Totally forgot about surge tanks. I used one on my first 5.0 240 conversion about 10 years ago and it worked like a charm. Keeping the stock fuel tank also will provide more room for my battery.

This is what I did on mine, seems like alot of people do it this way going the budget route. I'm using the stock carb feed as my return and running a single 380lph pump to draw from the tank.
787E5n7.jpg

Back