• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Newbie with a 1992 745 na auto to M46

andrewcconti

I recently purchased a super mint 1 owner 1992 745. I am sadly a ?checkbook mechanic? with a small balance, lol. I found a 1985 740 with a factory M46. Will this be a plug and play direct unbolt/bolt swap into my 1992? With no cutting or parts mods? If yes I will go for it if no is a 740 with a M47 plug and play?

Thanks in advance!

Andrew

Flywheel won’t be correct. And the bellhousing will need the crank sensor hole punched out. The m47 740 generally won’t need to be modified. Correct flywheel is important as there are a few. You need the one from an lh 2.4 car or Regina if you have a Regina car.

Thank you!

I will pass on this M46 car and search for a M47
Another newbie question how do i tell what engine my. 92 has? Regina?

I'd hop on that parts car if I were you. Hard to find any 740 manuals these days, and the hardest to find would be late model manual cars. They only sold 7 series manuals here until 91.

Biggest difference is the sensor location. On pre-LH2.4 cars the bellhousing was cast with a thin notched out part were the sensor goes. There's basically a guide cast in and you just gotta cut out about 1/8 of alum covering it. Easy to do with a cutoff wheel, hacksaw, nail clippers, whatever. Then you need a flywheel. If yours is in fact regina, I know someone on here was trying to sell a regina flywheel. Likely still has it. LH2.4 wheels aren't hard to find at all.

It looks like I have a Bosch

So is there any posted list of part numbers I would need for this swap. I?m not in a huge hurry and I kind of enjoy the treasure hunt for parts.

Thanks to all for the quick input, this site is a terrific resource

I'd hop on that parts car if I were you. Hard to find any 740 manuals these days, and the hardest to find would be late model manual cars. They only sold 7 series manuals here until 91.

Biggest difference is the sensor location. On pre-LH2.4 cars the bellhousing was cast with a thin notched out part were the sensor goes. There's basically a guide cast in and you just gotta cut out about 1/8 of alum covering it. Easy to do with a cutoff wheel, hacksaw, nail clippers, whatever. Then you need a flywheel. If yours is in fact regina, I know someone on here was trying to sell a regina flywheel. Likely still has it. LH2.4 wheels aren't hard to find at all.

This. Lh2.4 flywheels can be bought off the shelf or in wanted section. The parts car will have everything else.

Back