• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

960 Suspension

westoftheocean

Howdy folks. Returning to the Volvo lifestyle after a couple years driving other less brickish vehicles. I recently purchased a 93' 960 sedan from the original owner.

The car, lets call her Dolores, her P/O did anyways, is in great shape mechanically. Ive been reading some of the performance threads, and I have plans to improve power output via the M50 header swap, etc. Extra power is always good, but for now I have other concerns.

What Dolores needs most urgently is suspension. The rear nivomats are not happy. I have ordered the B4 conversion kit from IPD, as well as b4 struts for the front and those should get here friday. Wheels and tires are in the works too.

What else can I do for the suspension performance wise? IPD doesnt sell an anti sway bar or anything like that, but I have some welding certs and a shop at my disposal if I had a better idea of what I was trying to make.

The front of your 93 960 already has 24 mm front bar and the heaviest front springs. Not much improvement to be seen with aftermarket. Poly conical strut rod bushing kits are an improvement. Many find a lower brace from a newer 960.

Front suspension on 92-94 960 is the same as on 88-90 760 and 91-92 940 SE. Same front suspension design as 740/940, but mostly heavier duty.

You're limited on the rear suspension of a 92-94 960 Sedan.

Go ahead and send the IPD Nivomat conversion junk back. It's a waste of time and money. Either get replacement Nivomats or spring for coilovers from Ben.

Monroe Max-Air MA818 Air Shocks

Questions, I have a 95 960 Wagon I have replaced the Carbon Fiber spring in the MK2 Multilink suspension. This was a big job but I did not need the Volvo Spring compression Tool. Refer to "960 Multilink Rear Axle and Leaf Spring Removal"
I got a used spring from a parts yard on Vancouver Island for $225 CAD it looked like new, however the rear is still riding low. My question is, Is there any reason I should not install the Monroe Max-Air MA818 Air shocks. Refer to Turbobricks Forum "Air Shocks for the 95+ 960 (the anti-nivomat)" In the reading I've done it looks to me like Volvo did not use Nivomat shocks with the multilink suspension is this true?

Note: To owners with a multilink suspension if you live on a gravel road or where there is winter sanding. Clean the rocks, pebbles out of your multilink regularly as they will wear notches in your carbonfiber spring promoting pre-mature failure of your suspension spring"

Last edited:
Back