• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

please educate me on basic info about Volvo turbos

No, the 13c has a TD04H housing, the 15g/16t/13t/16t etc have TD04HL.
H stands for exhaust turbine size 6, HL size 7. If you go for a TD04HL try the TD04HL-20T from Dodge/Chrysler Caliber SRT4, it fits in all Volvo TD04HL exhaust housings.
I wouldn?t recommend the -15G housing though, due to the small waste gate.
Thanks.

Just for comparison, you wouldn't happen know how your 15g compares to a Garret t25/t28?
I would say quiet comparable-15G got a slightly faster spool up, but looses a bit in the top end. But differences are quiet small.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Just for comparison, you wouldn't happen know how your 15g compares to a Garret t25/t28?

Look at some point people need to start to refer to specific parts because saying "T25" or "T28" or "T3" is mostly meaningless..

Look here
http://www.turbomaster.info/eng/applications/compressor.php

You have T25/T28 compressor wheels with major dia from 52mm up to 60mm. You think those are all the same?

T3 compressor wheels with major dia from 60 to 69mm...

Misterbitchy turbos show similar RANGE of sizes all under a single name..
http://www.turbomaster.info/eng/applications/compressor_mhi.php

Come on---not just you, but everybody-- can we actually TRY and move forward ...

Or are we condemned to continue to tak like kids at the 7-11 bragging about mu cousn who heard a guy who was running a !!!%$#@ making 2.6 bar boost on a stock bottom end blah blah

Hadn't thought about the 20T from a Dodge. I know you don't recommend the 15G housing, but would it bolt up? I imagine the wastegate port could be ported...

The reason I'm asking is that it's a long story, but my new manifold has a T3 flange. Most T3 turbos are too big for what I want to do and so I started looking into Volvo ones because they smaller, cheaper, and T3. (Not exactly, I know, but it can be made to work.)

There are T25 adapters, but that takes up more space.

Thanks

Look at some point people need to start to refer to specific parts because saying "T25" or "T28" or "T3" is mostly meaningless..

Look here

You have T25/T28 compressor wheels with major dia from 52mm up to 60mm. You think those are all the same?

Come on---not just you, but everybody-- can we actually TRY and move forward ...

Or are we condemned to continue to tak like kids at the 7-11 bragging about mu cousn who heard a guy who was running a !!!%$#@ making 2.6 bar boost on a stock bottom end blah blah
If you compare T25/T28 it is a range of different turbo, I would say it is the same with TD04 serie from -12c to -22T it is a range of turbo, they are not all the same size, but they are all rather small turbo.
Hadn't thought about the 20T from a Dodge. I know you don't recommend the 15G housing, but would it bolt up? I imagine the wastegate port could be ported...

The reason I'm asking is that it's a long story, but my new manifold has a T3 flange. Most T3 turbos are too big for what I want to do and so I started looking into Volvo ones because they smaller, cheaper, and T3. (Not exactly, I know, but it can be made to work.)

There are T25 adapters, but that takes up more space.

Thanks
Yes it can be ported to certain limit. I?m just not quiet shore it be enough.
I would be very carful not tensioning the pressure gauge very much, just making shore to have a long stroke left for opening waste gate enough.
-20T is quiet larger than the -15G in flow. The -15G waste gate size can not be ported up to the same size as the stock -19T waste gate but, close to.
Non of the Volvo TD04 turbo are quiet bolt on as the all have this labyrinth sealing. The adapter is needed for a T3 exhaust gate.

Generally MHI TD04 turbo are smaller and more high revving than Garret T25/T28, but still comparable in capacity.

Last edited:

Look here

So true John! The GIANT turbo for my 7.3l diesel has a t3 flange, it's at least twice the physical size of the 13c Mitsubishi hair dryer.

So true John! The GIANT turbo for my 7.3l diesel has a t3 flange, it's at least twice the physical size of the 13c Mitsubishi hair dryer.
Well T25/T28 have a T3 flange but it doesn?t mean they are T3:s, The TD04HL-20T I have has a 58 mm wheel and if you count the extended tips its 60,5 mm, The TD04HL-22T is bigger. You compare the smallest TD04 with the biggest T3:s instead of T25/T28.
Besides the MHI TD04 turbo have top rev of approx. 180 000 rpm instead of approx. 140 000 rpm for the T25/T28. The T3:s has slightly lower top rev than that.

Last edited:
I've been doing more research on this. Would two 13t turbos be small enough for a twin-turbo setup on a 1.8 liter engine?

Thanks

I've been doing more research on this. Would two 13t turbos be small enough for a twin-turbo setup on a 1.8 liter engine?

Thanks
If you only plan to use the car for race, yes I would recommend NOZ to get a better spool up.
I understand you plan a + 400 hp 1,8 lit engine if I read between the lines.

What Nissan can only be boosted to 10 psi?

A naturally aspirated CA18DE which has higher compression and no oil squirters unlike it's turbo cousin, the CA18DET. I have to keep the boost low until I can swap out the pistons, then you can go much higher.

Volvo turbos can be used with T3 flanges with modification, and then you can swap in a lot of different Mitsu turbos.

So that's where I'm going with my questions. What what I've been reading 13T turbo is small, and would be great for now by itself, but it would be nice if it was small enough to build a twin turbo setup later.

Does anyone know how a T28 from a Nissan SR20DET compares to a volvo t19? I believe the T19 flows more, but I don't know how much. My understanding is that it isn't hard to rebuild a 13t into a 19t.

My long-term power goal is 350-400 hp.

A naturally aspirated CA18DE which has higher compression and no oil squirters unlike it's turbo cousin, the CA18DET. I have to keep the boost low until I can swap out the pistons, then you can go much higher.

Volvo turbos can be used with T3 flanges with modification, and then you can swap in a lot of different Mitsu turbos.

So that's where I'm going with my questions. What what I've been reading 13T turbo is small, and would be great for now by itself, but it would be nice if it was small enough to build a twin turbo setup later.

Does anyone know how a T28 from a Nissan SR20DET compares to a volvo t19? I believe the T19 flows more, but I don't know how much. My understanding is that it isn't hard to rebuild a 13t into a 19t.

My long-term power goal is 350-400 hp.
Probably quiet equal. enough for some 300 hp. I?m not Shure how much boost the bearings in the T28 can take without modification though..

The MHI TD04 has a 360 degree radial bearing and stands for 1,4 bar. It is a bit out of it?s optimal range of coarse.
The TD04H-13c is not the best choice for modifying to 19T as the exhaust turbine is smaller than the rest of the TD04HL turbo.

Also the exhaust housing is poorer performed for upgrading in several ways, small waste gate, and it will probably crack between waste gate and nozzle.

You get a poorer spool up with a TD04H than with a TD04HL due to the compressor wheel is to large for that small exhaust turbine to power up.

The unmodified TD04H-13c will still be enough for +200 hp fitted to a 1,8 l 16 valve engine.

Last edited:
I really appreciate the post. I have a T28 already, so I guess a 19t isn't really an upgrade. Do you know the Mitsu equivalent to a CA18DET T25? From what I've been reading it's about the same as a 14T.

Thanks

The real stock MHI TD04HL-19T from S60 AWD -R-01> with the new style exhaust house (3" angled outlet) is enough for 300 hp or more if you increase boost enough. So I guess it still would be a decent upgrade. But as always it is a matter of cost.

TD04 serie of turbo is a quite wide range of different turbo with capacity from 150-375 hp

Last edited:
If you choose the T28 you should do something to the radial bearing. This because all Garrets turbo I've seen doesn?t have a 360 degree radial bearing, and the radial bearing isn't properly fixed either. It?s just held to place by a solar shaped spring.

You could fasten it by screwing's or do both change it to a 360 radial bearing and fastening it by screws.

You probably want to be able to rise boost over 1bar. I've seen upgrade kits with a 360 radial bearing to various garrets in the TB series.

Well Holset HX30W is very similar in capacity to the MHI TD04HL-20T, that I use with my 2,3 l red block engine. The difference would likely be spool up. The MHI is smaller and hi revving in comparison.

I bet the MHI TD04HL-20T beats the Holset HX30W in that matter. Both have a max airflow for close to 400 hp, at least at a Volvo red block engine.

At my engine the -20T starts giving boost at 2300 rpm but it rises fairly slow, and isn't full (1,2 bar) until 2600 rpm. the NHI turbo as I mentioned before can take boost up to 1,4 bar.

I don't believe the Holset can stand that for very long as its a midrange turbo, designed for larger 4 cylinder diesel engines in trucks and working machines.

But if you already have it go for it, and see how it works at your engine, it?s the only way to know for Shure.

By the way the time in my signature is old made with a -16T, I have some 70 hp more or so after upgrading to a -20T turbo.

Very cool. Thanks.

Yeah, my turbo needs to be rebuilt, but I have it. I haven't tried it, yet, but I've read good things about Holset's spool-up time.

It's easy to get caught up thinking you need a bigger turbo right away. But keep in mind, myself and a few others have run 13's on stock 13C's.

My DD 940 Turbo with all the basic bolt-on's with a conical 15G ran a consistent 14.1 and a best of 13.9 with a 2.1 60-foot. It doesn't take a ton of power to make these fun light-to-light cars.

Back