• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

(Not*) Mediocre 242

I've been waiting for some parts to finish the EFR setup. This turbo is way longer than my old one, so the intake seemed like a bit of a challenge to package. Some tubing and silicone came in last night, and it fit, so I think I've finalized my intake setup. I was mostly nervous about how close to the radiator the front of the turbo was, and about the coolant overflow hose from the radiator, but neither thing really caused a problem. The intake is really close to the intercooler piping and pretty close to the coolant hose, but it's not touching.

SjTASWPl.jpg

YWseG89l.jpg

9YcIduMl.jpg

It's 3.5" from the turbo to the filter. I need to weld my -10 catch can bung on and wait for some bigger T bolts clamps, but other than that the piping should be done.

My buddy is making me the oil feed and return lines today. Apparently EFRs need -6 AN feed lines if the line is longer than 18" and you live in a cold climate. I drive it in the winter, so I'm doing -6. After I get those lines in, I just need to do a bit to the downpipe and I'll be boosting again. Should be driving this weekend.

I doubt it, but I guess we'll have to see.

My buddy finished crimping my oil lines today, so I covered the return and mocked them up. This is probably how my lines will end up being. Maybe I'll need to use an adhesive lined heat shrink for the oil return cover, or maybe in the future I'll just make it a hard line. There isn't much clearance down there. Borg Warner says that if your oil feed is longer than 18" and you live in a cold climate, you should use a -6 AN feed, so I did. Additionally, the coolant ports I used on the turbo are backward, as coolant is supposed to leave the turbo at the high port, but this is much more convenient, and probably won't affect much of anything so I'll leave it like it is for now.

ZE8msfIl.jpg

5j3yJGfl.jpg

3pCbEAal.jpg

fi5EWMwl.jpg

cQfdeCAl.jpg

gEOzw58l.jpg

FGA7tdFl.jpg

Luckily I won't have to make a bump or hole in my hood, I have about 1" of clearance between the oil feed elbow and the hood. I'm definitely putting some gold heat film on so I don't burn the nicest paint on my whole car.

mR2hhavl.jpg

I think I told you before but just make a check of the oil lines a part of some sort of yearly maintenance review. My first hose showed a nice slightly toasty DEI sleeve externally, while the rubber hose inside had cooked itself into a ritz cracker.

I don't really like cutting up RSI parts, but it had to be done.

i6fCl7nl.jpg

I made some extensions for the downpipe because the EFR is a little higher up and farther forward than the GT was.

gPa5RlZl.jpg

CAxpR1bl.jpg

I've been waiting for some parts to finish the EFR setup.

9YcIduMl.jpg

It's 3.5" from the turbo to the filter. I need to weld my -10 catch can bung on and wait for some bigger T bolts clamps, but other than that the piping should be done.

Curious if you sized your K&N filter for the necessary flow with that big turbo. I went thru the exercise on my DD using their material and area of flow data. How much boost do you intend to run on the 8V? And for the record, what PN is that filter?

I didn't do any calculations for sizing my air filter, I picked a 3.5" diameter outlet that I knew would fit. Packaging was my main concern, as everything up there is really tight. I'm not really worried about choking the inlet to the compressor. The filter is PN RE-0950.

When I was looking at this turbo, I mapped my engine out to 20 psi and it looked like I would be pretty close to maxing out the compressor. I'm sure my engine isn't as efficient as I guessed it would be. I'm going for 450 whp or more, and I'll do whatever boost level gets me there.

Back