• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

3d printed solutions to 240 stuff.

Trevor57

I picked up the nicest 245 I have owned, and planned to make the car clean and pretty. This is very different for me, since I usually drive clapped out trash. Every 240 I have ever owned has had a few things in common. A poorly installed set of speakers that often times do not work, and no great options for gauges. Unless you can find the oem triple. While the two spots next to the main cluster is an option, I cannot see them, unless I move my head around. I wonder if this is because of my height, and seating position, or if it is a problem for everyone.

So I have set out to fix these two issues. Adding a tach is a must, and finding a oem one isn't getting any easier. Last year I installed a chippernut http://www.chippernut.com/ in my swap car. I think it is a better solution than a conventional analog tach. I started with a proof of concept in PLA. IMG_20180221_145129928 by trevor k, on Flickr I also designed a version with 3 holes for standard gauges, and the fit is not as tight. IMG_20180307_142723769 by trevor k, on Flickr After a bunch of revisions and re prints, I came up with the current design. IMG_20180307_142738285 by trevor k, on Flickr The mounting system is similar to oem, and aftermarket radio kits. IMG_20180307_142748532 by trevor k, on Flickr IMG_20180307_142754839_BURST000_COVER_TOP by trevor k, on Flickr The other part of this design is an led housing. IMG_20180307_143421870 by trevor k, on Flickr This piece will sit on top of the steering column it is l shaped so that the bottom will pressure fit between the steering column cover, and the oem gauge cluster. IMG_20180307_143432154 by trevor k, on Flickr

Next part to tackle was the speakers. I have never actually had oem brackets for 5 1/4 speakers, so I just went from measurements taken off the door panel itself. I was going to purchase billet ones from kaplenke but they were out of stock, so I made these. 2018-03-07_02-38-56 by trevor k, on Flickr This is my second try, after having to redesign from scratch. 2018-03-07_02-38-56 by trevor k, on Flickr These will sandwich the door panel by screwing from the top into a piece of wood on the inside of the door panel. 2018-03-07_02-39-18 by trevor k, on Flickr 2018-03-07_02-42-39 by trevor k, on Flickr You can see in the next picture there are some air gaps, but that will be eliminated when they are assembled finally, and a light squish is achieved. Also worth noting is the less than ideal finish on the outside of the ring. 2018-03-07_02-43-19 by trevor k, on Flickr This was a simple oversight on my part while putting these pieces in the slicing software. This problem is exacerbated by the fact that my printer is small and I must print these like this. 2018-03-07_02-52-20 by trevor k, on Flickr And then they are glued together. Simply rotating them 180 degrees would put the rough edges in the inside rather than the outside. I will address this issue before final installation.
http://www.chippernut.com/

This video shows some of the features of the chippernut. <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3mxMW3ISimI" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I would send files to people, or post them on thingiverse eventually, when I feel like they are truly ready. It is a lot of time, and effort to make all this stuff with the equipment I have. So it would likely not be worth it for me to sell them. I want to share these with the community, but if I were to make the stuff for somebody, it would have to be a trade. Somehow that is more interesting to me.

I hope to get this stuff in the car tomorrow, and show it in action.

Nice work. I tried to print a cupholder once but it wouldn't stick to the base so the print kept getting messed up..

Please post to thingiverse! These are great, I've been working on a speaker mount for the doors, but had to put it on the back burner for now. I was printing large single pieces, but I think your approach is probably faster lol

Back