• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 140 T5 Bellhousing Adapter

Why the S10 tailshaft housing? Are you running a toploader or the normal 73+ short shifter location?

Front shift position - it's the long throw. Is that what you mean by toploader?

I'm hoping to keep the car as stock looking as possible (it's in incredible condition cosmetically) while making it significantly more fun to drive (highway speeds are SO loud and eat up so much gas).

Ahh, that makes sense. Yeah, I was wondering on the truck shifter vs. remote shifter.

That means you have an early car, so I gotta be sure it's mentioned that the early cars have a narrower tunnel than the later cars, so fitting the T5 will likely require some moderate tunnel work to make it fit.

Ahh, that makes sense. Yeah, I was wondering on the truck shifter vs. remote shifter.

That means you have an early car, so I gotta be sure it's mentioned that the early cars have a narrower tunnel than the later cars, so fitting the T5 will likely require some moderate tunnel work to make it fit.

I actually think I'll be able to get away without having to modify the tunnel - mine is a '71, and before '70 you had to modify the tunnel, but I believe that '71 gets a wider tunnel.

SO, just so I understand, things I'll need to do:
  1. Get a T5 Transmission
  2. Get an S10 Tailhousing
  3. Get an adapter
  4. Get a trans tunnel
  5. Do I need a new speedo gear?
  6. Anything else I need? Drive shaft or anything of that sort?

Looking around, I'm seeing:
  • Mustang Speedo Cable clipped and mated to the Volvo one
  • Clutch Disc
  • Cross member needs to be modified
  • Drive Shaft Modified

I know there's a ton of info out there - just wanted to see if anybody here has a short list of what I can expect to need to do as part of this. Just found out that the install portion of the work for the M41 is going to be pricey, so might be worth it just to do the T5 immediately, rather than do the M41 for a couple years and THEN do the T5.

If you're using a 240 or late 140 tunnel, you don't want the s10 tail housing. The normal Mustang tail housing puts the shifter right where it should be, if you're welding in a 240 tunnel.

You'll need to bring your whole driveshaft to a driveshaft shop, with the measurement from the center bearing to the T5 output shaft. Then they should be able to supply the proper yoke and shorten/remake the front half of the driveshaft.

You'll also need to modify your crossmember.

Cool, good to know. I think I'll want to go with the s10 tailhousing. Honestly have no clue how much tunnel modification will be needed to fit the transmission. I have had zero luck even FINDING an s10 tailhousing.

Back