home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2014, 06:52 PM   #1
15A
World's Oldest Brewery
 
15A's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: OH-MI....just like it sounds
Default Swapping Bosch fuel pumps into a Regina car

I've read of guys on here buying Regina cars and finding them converted to the dual LH fuel pumps. After a futile search, have found nothing on the details. The harness for the chassis pump is there - just tucked away. The bracket is the same, just missing the pump.

Was wondering what all was involved? Is there already relay'd power at the chassis harness (plug n' play)? AND.....did it also require a Bosch FPR as well?

TIA
__________________

(IF YOU WANT ME TO LEAVE YOU FB AFTER THE FACT, JUST SAY)

I didn't sleep well last night so I made my coffee this morning with Red Bull instead of water.
I got halfway to work before I realized I forgot my car.
15A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:16 PM   #2
84B23F
Board Member
 
84B23F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kansas, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15A View Post
Regina cars and finding them converted to the dual LH fuel pumps.
I would find no physical reason for doing it. Economically, a clueless person might get "sender and fuel pump assembly it's $600-700 from Volvo." But, those with Pick-n-Pulls nearby might waste their time for such a conversion.

US $64.00 is current price on ebay for a regina pump.

Someone else noted, "My current DD/regina car just had the fuel pump died so I just threw in a walbro"

I'd venture to say GM's late 1980's in-tank fuel pumps would work too, and maybe cheaper.
84B23F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:42 AM   #3
15A
World's Oldest Brewery
 
15A's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: OH-MI....just like it sounds
Default

Simple questions:

What all was involved?
Is there already relay'd power at the chassis harness (plug n' play)?
Did it also require a Bosch FPR as well?
15A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 02:04 PM   #4
84B23F
Board Member
 
84B23F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kansas, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15A View Post
Simple questions:
See the cited thread: $600-700 from Volvo.

Imho, only a bozo would install two pumps...
84B23F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 02:51 PM   #5
15A
World's Oldest Brewery
 
15A's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: OH-MI....just like it sounds
Default

I have a customer who asked about it - whether he does it or not, I dont know or care.

And no one is asking your opinion, just an answer to the question which that thread didn't answer either.
15A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:19 PM   #6
andysbeta
thrsh
 
andysbeta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Mancos, CO (no longer the Central Valley Smog Bank)
Default

My 1989 745 with Regina came from the factory with dual pumps - which is odd. It even has the LH2.4 powerstage mounted on the fender which is not connected! it is a true regina 745.. must be early production. Currently mine is running low on power, which I am trying to troubleshoot with no luck ...
andysbeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:22 PM   #7
15A
World's Oldest Brewery
 
15A's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: OH-MI....just like it sounds
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysbeta View Post
My 1989 745 with Regina came from the factory with dual pumps - which is odd. It even has the LH2.4 powerstage mounted on the fender which is not connected! it is a true regina 745.. must be early production. Currently mine is running low on power, which I am trying to troubleshoot with no luck ...
Awesome - I was hoping someone here had one.

I've heard of 'some' having 2 pumps which makes me think its a plug and play setup. The only difference on the intank sender is the connectors, otherwise they're the same as well. My biggest curiosity is the FPR - is yours still the small Regina style or did they use the larger 2.4? With the same injectors as the 2.4, I can't see it being a problem to use the larger one......but dunno.
15A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:51 PM   #8
84B23F
Board Member
 
84B23F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kansas, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15A View Post
injectors as the 2.4
Forget those, use Gen III
1993-944 NA Regina with rebuilt B23F, AW71L, Bosch 0 280 155 746 Injectors

OEM 740 940 Bendix Deka fuel injectors # 1389563
These are high impedance injectors (14.2 ohms), and 18 lb/hour flow
The name SIEMENS is also associated with them.

Fuel Pressure Regulator...look up pressure specs
84B23F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:52 PM   #9
84B23F
Board Member
 
84B23F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kansas, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysbeta View Post
Currently mine is running low on power, which I am trying to troubleshoot with no luck ...
'
Got a thread?
84B23F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:58 PM   #10
84B23F
Board Member
 
84B23F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kansas, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15A View Post
Regina cars
Fuel Pump: VOLVO 3507736

US $16.40 FREE Standard Shipping


So Regina and LH 2.4 (and 3.1) all have a max pressure spec of 43.5psi, which equals 3.0 Bar.
84B23F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:26 PM   #11
Kjets On a Plane
Devoid of Luxury
 
Kjets On a Plane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: SoCal Rat-Racer/Douche/Rich Puke Playground, Formerly Pacific Wonderland
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15A View Post
Awesome - I was hoping someone here had one.

I've heard of 'some' having 2 pumps which makes me think its a plug and play setup. The only difference on the intank sender is the connectors, otherwise they're the same as well. My biggest curiosity is the FPR - is yours still the small Regina style or did they use the larger 2.4? With the same injectors as the 2.4, I can't see it being a problem to use the larger one......but dunno.
Early regina use the large bosch FPR. Can use two pumps. Much prefer the quality of the bosch big main external pump to any of that GM ****.

Fuel pumps basically never go bad in the Benzs with the big bosch pumps, but the in-tank on the volvo lets go and can take the main with it, particularly if you drive around with it on "E" frequently in hot weather.
__________________
How PSI a stock can support?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
If you send me $20 I'll send you a how-to explaining how to make $20 from people on the internet.
Kjets On a Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:59 AM   #12
84B23F
Board Member
 
84B23F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kansas, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjets On a Plane View Post
bosch pumps
It seems pre/main pumps these days are turbine type....As Bosch says,

Bosch brings the benefits of turbine fuel pumps to the aftermarket for late-model vehicles, as well as for many earlier applications with older technology fuel pumps. The superior design and industry-leading electromagnetic shielding of Bosch Turbine Pumps virtually eliminates fuel pulsation and noise, reduces hot-start problems and prevents on-board electronics interference.

Roller-cell pumps are still available, but are high $$$, and really have no use on stock vehicles these days.

Jeep, 1987-1990 used RENIX System on 4.0 LITER MULTI-POINT FUEL INJECTION, and Bosch 9580810019 pump was used, which might fit Volvo.

Regardless, there are number of pumps that could be made to fit. In a 740 Regina, that cheap $16.00 pump was installed last year, and it still works
84B23F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:08 AM   #13
84B23F
Board Member
 
84B23F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kansas, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysbeta View Post
... I am trying to troubleshoot with no luck ...
Make sure your grounds are fit for duty.

From a Jeep Forum - This sensor ground circuit affects the CTS, TPS, IAT, MAP, ECU and diagnostic connector grounds. It’s very important and not something to overlook in diagnosing your Renix Jeep as it is common for the harnesses to have poor crimps causing poor grounds. If any or all of the sensors do not have a good ground, the signal the ECU receives from these sensors is inaccurate.
84B23F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:08 AM   #14
Stiggy Pop
Board Member
 
Stiggy Pop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Granville, MA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84B23F View Post
See the cited thread: $600-700 from Volvo.

Imho, only a bozo would install two pumps...
I'd love to get lh2.4 pumps in my regina 940. I'm a bozo in that way because I have handfuls of lh2.4 pumps but no spare regina pumps. I'm now on my 3rd Pro Parts replacement Regina pump (only one available if you don't spend huge money) in a year and a half. The car will start randomly cutting out while driving, and the pump eventually seizes.

So for me this is a worthwhile road to explore just for the availability of replacement parts and the (at least in my experience) issues with what's available for Regina.
__________________
'79 242
943 pickup
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:04 AM   #15
15A
World's Oldest Brewery
 
15A's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: OH-MI....just like it sounds
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjets On a Plane View Post
Early regina use the large bosch FPR. Can use two pumps. Much prefer the quality of the bosch big main external pump to any of that GM ****.
Thats what I was hoping to hear.

I think the guy is asking because he had heard something about 'some' having the 2 pumps, and hes never had a Regina car so is not crazy about having all his eggs in one basket/pump.

It seems that any issues I've ever had with Bosch pumps - one started making noise when the other began failing giving me ample warning to replace one/both. If the one and only pump failed, you're not going anywhere.

Thanks everyone!
15A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:58 AM   #16
Kjets On a Plane
Devoid of Luxury
 
Kjets On a Plane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: SoCal Rat-Racer/Douche/Rich Puke Playground, Formerly Pacific Wonderland
Default

^yup. Basic GM trucks and vans are mostly reliable, until the one and only fuel pump quits without warning. Kinda the one thing that always breaks on those like clockwork every ~10ish (sometimes 15) years. What a PITA it is to drop that giant tank...nice to have a motorcycle/giant transmission jack for those. Usually can beat on them to get them to start one last time to limp into the shop...sure not pushing a Suburban or full size giant truck thing if I can help it.

We can find nice old K-jet benzs and other foreign cars all day long used in good shape with near new replaced big bosch pumps. No point in buying that new cheap GM type knockoff bull**** that strands you with no warning.

The big bosch pump is right under the driver seat. If you hear a bunch of noise with the door open parked somewhere quiet, replace either it or the intank pump with usually several weeks/months warning. On cooler weather cars with a quality in-tank pump the main pump will last basically indefinitely if you don't run it low on hot fuel all the time. No need to reinvent the wheel or deviate from that.
Kjets On a Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:45 PM   #17
84B23F
Board Member
 
84B23F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kansas, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjets On a Plane View Post
What a PITA it is to drop that giant tank...
Best of my awareness, on Jeeps and 740/940s Volvos with Regina, you don't have to drop the tank.


Changing a Regina Fuel Pump
84B23F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:49 PM   #18
84B23F
Board Member
 
84B23F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kansas, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
I'm a bozo in that way...but no spare regina pumps.
Well now, chances are most all of these will work: check specs first

Part Number:F-EP240A-17
CROSS REFERENCE:
INTERCHANGE
AC DELCO
EP189,EP236,EP240,EP241,EP243,EP244,EP277,EP367,EP 375
EP377,EP207,EP267,EP329,EP379,EP380
AIRTEX
E3210,E3212,E3240,E3265,E3270,E3307,E3367 ,E3931
VOLVO
3507736-1;3531165-3
GM
6443306
KEM
EFP243
DELPHI
FE0040,FE0112,FE0324,FE0039,FE0102,FE0047,FE0051,F E0081,FE0082
FE0084,FE0110,FE0324
GM
6472143,6472148,6472229,6472489,6472527,6472987,64 72998,6472999
25115260,25115190,25115428,25115429,25115467
PRESSURE
3.0 BAR
FLOW
90 LPH

Last edited by 84B23F; 09-29-2014 at 01:07 PM..
84B23F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:01 PM   #19
84B23F
Board Member
 
84B23F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kansas, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjets On a Plane View Post
No point in buying that new cheap GM type knockoff bull**** that strands you with no warning. .
Well now, here's an ACDELCO: BGV00240

See that "240" in part number, yeah

Its a 3 bar pump, and I have them on both of my Berettas...just have to check diameter

84B23F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:17 PM   #20
lummert
Board Member
 
lummert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portland IN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjets On a Plane View Post
^yup. Basic GM trucks and vans are mostly reliable, until the one and only fuel pump quits without warning. Kinda the one thing that always breaks on those like clockwork every ~10ish (sometimes 15) years. What a PITA it is to drop that giant tank...nice to have a motorcycle/giant transmission jack for those. Usually can beat on them to get them to start one last time to limp into the shop...sure not pushing a Suburban or full size giant truck thing if I can help it.

We can find nice old K-jet benzs and other foreign cars all day long used in good shape with near new replaced big bosch pumps. No point in buying that new cheap GM type knockoff bull**** that strands you with no warning.

The big bosch pump is right under the driver seat. If you hear a bunch of noise with the door open parked somewhere quiet, replace either it or the intank pump with usually several weeks/months warning. On cooler weather cars with a quality in-tank pump the main pump will last basically indefinitely if you don't run it low on hot fuel all the time. No need to reinvent the wheel or deviate from that.
Easiest way to replace an in-tank pump on a GM truck is to remove the bed.
__________________
Trying to understand stupid people is like trying to pick up a turd by the clean end.
lummert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:52 PM   #21
Stiggy Pop
Board Member
 
Stiggy Pop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Granville, MA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84B23F View Post
Well now, chances are most all of these will work: check specs first

Part Number:F-EP240A-17
CROSS REFERENCE:
INTERCHANGE
AC DELCO
EP189,EP236,EP240,EP241,EP243,EP244,EP277,EP367,EP 375
EP377,EP207,EP267,EP329,EP379,EP380
AIRTEX
E3210,E3212,E3240,E3265,E3270,E3307,E3367 ,E3931
VOLVO
3507736-1;3531165-3
GM
6443306
KEM
EFP243
DELPHI
FE0040,FE0112,FE0324,FE0039,FE0102,FE0047,FE0051,F E0081,FE0082
FE0084,FE0110,FE0324
GM
6472143,6472148,6472229,6472489,6472527,6472987,64 72998,6472999
25115260,25115190,25115428,25115429,25115467
PRESSURE
3.0 BAR
FLOW
90 LPH
Thanks, that's a good post. That path is definitely "on the radar" but I really only paid for the first pump and subsequent failures were on FCP's dime under warranty. I'm just sick of changing the darn things.
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:43 PM   #22
84B23F
Board Member
 
84B23F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kansas, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
I'm just sick of changing the darn things.
I'd never get used, but an ACDelco/Bosch should give years of service.

For a single intank pump setup, I'd stay away from a roller type pump, and get a turbine.

I'd also match the pump pressure (and volume) to its application...as in get a 3 bar pump for stock vehicles.
84B23F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:31 PM   #23
volvoguy745
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Newark, DE
Question Rex-Regina Injector Research

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84B23F View Post
Forget those, use Gen III
1993-944 NA Regina with rebuilt B23F, AW71L, Bosch 0 280 155 746 Injectors

OEM 740 940 Bendix Deka fuel injectors # 1389563
These are high impedance injectors (14.2 ohms), and 18 lb/hour flow
The name SIEMENS is also associated with them.
Read this tonight. 84B23F's comment implies that 1993 944 NA Regina is running with Bosch 0280155746 injectors. Someone please confirm. If so, how is this accomplished? Am considering some subtle improvements to 1991 745 w/NA Regina and ran across this post when researching injector upgrades. The Gen IIIs look like a good upgrade for this car and engine management system.
volvoguy745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:03 AM   #24
84B23F
Board Member
 
84B23F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kansas, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoguy745 View Post
84B23F's comment implies that 1993 944 NA Regina is running with Bosch 0280155746 injectors...Gen IIIs...
With 1993 944 Regina, this engine does not have a cold start injector, I've had no issues.

On a 1993 245-LH-2.4, with these Gen III injectors installed, LH-2.4 during a cold start will add extra fuel for several or more seconds, and extra RPM is required to keep engine running. After cold start, engine runs fine.

I have no idea if earlier Rex-Regina ECUs are different from 1993 Rex-Regina ECUs, but if yours has a cold start valve, there were at least two different ways this injector was energized. One way via temperature, and another way via engaging starter.
84B23F is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.