• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Question: Carburetted Turbo?

Dirty Rooster

Simple question, as I absolutely do not know.

Can the Volvo 2.0/2.3 Petrol turbo be switched from injected electronic ignition to a carburettor & mechanical ignition without ECU?
Has anyone done such a dubious retrograde modification?

There's a reason turbos were invented in the 1800s but didn't become popular on cars until the 1980's. Carburetors are that reason.

It can be done. If you're a bonafide wizard it might even work passably well. Most likely the results will be disappointing to downright lulzy.

Pull through or blow through? I think you get different types of under-hood fires with each different setup. Pull through with an intercooler for the most youtube-worthy results, I'd think.

Simple question, as I absolutely do not know.

Can the Volvo 2.0/2.3 Petrol turbo be switched from injected electronic ignition to a carburettor & mechanical ignition without ECU?
Has anyone done such a dubious retrograde modification?

Why couldn't it be done would be a better question!

Seriously, what makes you think that motor couldn't run with a carb or mechanical ignition?

A four stroke is a four stroke, nothing magical about the engine once they slapped on the electronic stuff.

Perhaps pass on the project!

HIF Blowthrough...

3766.jpg

then all you need is J pipe, turbo, downpipe, and ignition, and Dual SU manifold and split the intake tract.

It's not really that hard to run a blow through setup, though that's with downdraft carbs. I can't speak for sidedrafts. I would consider it a downgrade on an EFI car though . I wouldn't be all that hard to fab but then you have to tune it. The EFI is already to go and bolts on so why bother.

HIF Blowthrough...

3766.jpg

then all you need is J pipe, turbo, downpipe, and ignition, and Dual SU manifold and split the intake tract.

STOP! Your giving me ideas for my Midget.

You can easily mod a Volvo Pierburg yellow cap carburettor to support boost. Then you'll need an FPR that increases pressure with boost and a modded distributor and it'll work. There are even guides on how to do this if you're interested.

A single Pierburg sidedraft seems to be able to support at least about 200bhp.

There's a reason turbos were invented in the 1800s but didn't become popular on cars until the 1980's. Carburetors are that reason.

But they had supercharged long before that? I think it's more from a manufacturing standpoint. The metallurgy, the tolerances involved etc needed to mass produce turbos.

I personally wouldn't bother tuning a carburetor with a turbocharger if you want any reasonable power. It's hard enough dialing in EMS to do it correctly without worrying about analog actuation parts wearing down over time. Unless you really know what you're doing, it's just one can of worms after another.

It would be same as belt driven supercharger they sell for blow thru application that comes with hat for standard holly air cleaner flange. Vortex iirc

It would be same as belt driven supercharger they sell for blow thru application that comes with hat for standard holly air cleaner flange. Vortex iirc

Paxton did it before them, built the units for the few rare Studebakers that were lucky enough to have a blower for the factory.

Easy peezy, blow through SU. MG Metro came that way outa the factory. BUT you really wanna go with a programmable timing map. Thats the key to making any boosted system run well, no reason u cant do carb, the ignition system has to be dialed in right

There were plenty of carbureted turbo motorcycles in the late 70s and early 80s. It's not impossible.

I love the interest in old school tech (hell, I'm determined to keep k-jet). That said, I don't think I'd add a carbed turbo setup to something that was originally fuel injected. Maximum Boost does have a lot of great information, however.

Back