• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Amazon VS 140 brakes

Mr.Borrie

The Sneaky F*ing Ukrainian
As some of you know i'm selling adapters for Amazon to convert to Wilwood front calipers. Got a potential customer asking if these would work for the 140 series as he thinks they are the same. I do not own a 140 anymore so cannot verify if these would work.

Anybody can tell me the difference ?

They will work on an 1800 however. I was able to use 1800ES front spindles, brake rotors/calipers and hubs on my '67 122. I also adapted the entire rear axle from a '73 1800ES (so my car now has 4-wheel discs). Not sure about other year 122s, but the '67 definitely works with 1800 brake bits!

You also had to swap the removable front caliper mounting brackets that are used on the 1800E/ES. Those caliper brackets are different than the earlier 3 piston caliper brackets and allow you to bolt on the 4 piston calipers.

There is no removable caliper mounting bracket on the 140/164 as the caliper bolts directly to the spindle.

You also had to swap the removable front caliper mounting brackets that are used on the 1800E/ES. Those caliper brackets are different than the earlier 3 piston caliper brackets and allow you to bolt on the 4 piston calipers.

There is no removable caliper mounting bracket on the 140/164 as the caliper bolts directly to the spindle.

But these adapters bolt to the removable bracket on the 122/1800, so if you played around with hats, rotors, and maybe a spacer or two under the rotor hat, they might just fit. That's the beauty of Wilwood, so many options all they do is move the caliper out like 1 inch so that an 11 in rotor works

The issue is the Wilwood front caliper adapters that fit a 1964-1968 122/1800 won't bolt onto a 140/164 front spindle because the bolt hole spacing is different.

Forgot to mention that part... thanks for clarifying.

They will work on an 1800 however. I was able to use 1800ES front spindles, brake rotors/calipers and hubs on my '67 122. I also adapted the entire rear axle from a '73 1800ES (so my car now has 4-wheel discs). Not sure about other year 122s, but the '67 definitely works with 1800 brake bits!

Bringing this back, could someone measure the bolt hole spacing on the 1800E/ES caliper bracket? Is it the same spacing as a 140 and would that bracket fit a '64-'68 122?

No need to measure. 1800E and 140 use the same front (Girling) caliper. Since the 140 and 1800E rotors have different part numbers, we can assume that the offset is different.

The 1800E caliper adapter bolts to any 122/1800 spindle.

I don't know. Let me look.

UsedCaliperBrackets.jpg

Yep, I got 'em.

:-P PM me a price for a pair shipped out here? I know LloydDobler did this on his '66 with a custom caliper bracket but I'm pretty sure I can make it a bolt-on conversion with these brackets and a 240 R brake adapter. Just need to find a 114.3 rotor that works with the Brembo calipers. Or maybe this won't work at all. It won't cost me much to mock it all up so I'm gonna try it out. :uh:

330mm or 13" I believe. I could always get a pair of R rotors and mill the stud holes out 3mm but I feel like there's an off-the-shelf option somewhere.

The 1800E hub has 5x108 pattern and fits the 122 spindle. That would make the R rotor bolt on, but the offset is an unknown.

Back