• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Sander's 6.0 V12 745 project

How's the hood clearance?

The hood clearance is pretty good, still have about 3 or 4 cm directly above the most forward itb. The rest has a lot more clearance.

Why would you ever cover this with a hood?

I should install a lexan hood or something then :p The massive brakes give it away a bit too, but I do intend for it to keep a somewhat modest appearance.

Get that Sex Spec status
VgfXtZ1l.jpg

I just want a sound clip! (I am sure you do too- haha).
Out of curiosity, how tough is it going to be to service the spark plugs and their wires?

Yeah I really want that too, should sound pretty crazy. The plugs are going to be ok to do. Right now, 1 of the 3 long rods that ties the 6 itbs together is kinda in the way. I'll probably move that one or just get rid of it. The 2 remaining ones plus the silicone couplers are more than able to hold it all together. Then it will be pretty easy and accessible as the spark plug holes are exactly between the itb housings. I'm planning on using coil on plug ignition, so no plug wires. VAG coils fit quite ok there. I'll still be making 2 intake plenums with the trumpets inside that will go on each bank and then run those through a filter box in each front corner of the car because of local regulations regarding open air filters. Those plenums will need to be removed then to get to the plugs, but that should be very easy.

Yup - I just figured removing the ITB's didn't look too difficult if it came to that. I did a plug change on my Cayman S. Rear tires off; fenderwell panels out of the way. Heat shields removed/moved out of the way. Coil packs unplugged from harness/removed. Then spark plugs. I don't think anyone looked up the word "access".

Loving this build! I've been enjoying watching this as I work through my own build with a DOHC 4.6 Ford V8. I'm jealous of your 60 degree V. The 90 degree V of the 4.6 certainly creates some challenges.

Spent the last week redoing my garage, something I should've done already years ago but yeah, priorities or something. For some reason the area where 2 cars can be parked was only accesible through the electric garage door and the room where my workbench and tools etc are could only be accessed by a door in the side of the building. So I finally got rid of this pointless wall, made a sliding door there and got myself a small lift. For the first time in my life I can work on it inside and easily work under it :D This should speed things up considerably. Removing said wall was a bit of work as it was made of 25cm (10") thick porous concrete. Not the soft easy to work with stuff but actual concrete. I'm just glad it wasn't a wall from the house, as those are about 50cm (20") thick for some reason. I also installed compressed air lines and connections on the walls throughout the garage, with the air compressor in the small room with all my heating equipment so you don't hear it at all and a switch above the workbench to turn it on or off. Moved the car into its new home today, so finally no more working in the driveway with crappy weather.

Loving this build! I've been enjoying watching this as I work through my own build with a DOHC 4.6 Ford V8. I'm jealous of your 60 degree V. The 90 degree V of the 4.6 certainly creates some challenges.

Thanks! The space you get by having a 60 degree V angle is offset by 4 more cylinders unfortunately.

Last edited:
Care to share the brand and model of that scissor lift? :oogle:
It's a Chinese one from Ebay (https://ebay.us/6rKOmQ). There are several versions of it. The cheaper ones use teflon blocks where this one uses big steel rollers where the moving part of the scissor slides over the base. It also has an electric lock/unlock of the safety catch thing instead of needing compressed air. It also has a clever secondary lever mechanism where the hydraulic cylinders connect to the scissor part that gives it it's full lifting capacity also when it's completely down and the hydraulic cylinders are almost horizontal. The cheapest ones tend to not have those features and will struggle with lifting a car from it's lowest position.

It seems to be very solid and is rated for 3.0T max vehicle weight. Lifting the 740 goes completely effortless, so I believe the 3.0 ton rating. It comes with detachable wheels too for when you want to move it (you need them as it weighs nearly 600kg). It goes up to 1 meter high, so that works great in my garage as the ceiling is about 2.40m. Not enough height there for a full 2 post lift. I took the one that runs on 400V 3 phase as I have that in my garage too, but there also is a 230V version of it. No idea what voltage options there are of these things for North America.

It's a Chinese one from Ebay (https://ebay.us/6rKOmQ). There are several versions of it. The cheaper ones use teflon blocks where this one uses big steel rollers where the moving part of the scissor slides over the base. It also has an electric lock/unlock of the safety catch thing instead of needing compressed air. It also has a clever secondary lever mechanism where the hydraulic cylinders connect to the scissor part that gives it it's full lifting capacity also when it's completely down and the hydraulic cylinders are almost horizontal. The cheapest ones tend to not have those features and will struggle with lifting a car from it's lowest position.

It seems to be very solid and is rated for 3.0T max vehicle weight. Lifting the 740 goes completely effortless, so I believe the 3.0 ton rating. It comes with detachable wheels too for when you want to move it (you need them as it weighs nearly 600kg). It goes up to 1 meter high, so that works great in my garage as the ceiling is about 2.40m. Not enough height there for a full 2 post lift. I took the one that runs on 400V 3 phase as I have that in my garage too, but there also is a 230V version of it. No idea what voltage options there are of these things for North America.

Nice! I have 240V in my garage. 1 meter would be much better than the .5 meter I can get with my hand jack and candles.

I was wondering about that lift also, but can't find a similar one on eBay US.

Your car is crazy, can't wait to see a vid of it in action!

This is an awesome build. Love your attention to detail - and having to mod your building :). On a side note, I noticed your angle torque tool. Looks much easier to use than my old SnapOn with angle rod that never locates properly for Volvo flywheels, etc... :D What brand did you get & did it do the job accurately for you? Many thanks.

Back