• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Help choosing which parts for a big buy/project im about to start '83 242 turbo b21ft

I Am A Bicycle

Hey all... I am about to do a decently big parts buy and am looking for some recommendations to make sure I get some decent stuff for my NA 1983 volvo 242 turbo b21ft Kjet.

Parts needed:

spark plugs (thinking ngk)

spark plug wires (bougi cords)

cap (dunno)

rotor (dunno)

in-line fuel pump (heard good stuff about airtex but still dunno)

in tank (dunno)

sending unit (dunno)

I would prefer to buy them all from the same place as I am planning to put it all together Thursday-Sunday... which is why i wanna buy it today so ittl hopefully all get here. If possible i'd like to keep the items coming from Rock auto.

anything i'm missing here? open to recommendations. Links for items are welcomed, helpful and preferred! will post a picture up of my 242 "The lil sweetie"
W8FW40c.jpg

f3ApQcu.jpg

Spark plugs-NGK copper plugs, platinum sucks

Cap and rotor- Bosch

Fuel pumps-Airtex is fine, I would refer you to cleanflametrap.com for a very good writeup on the various pumps available, oversimplified version is Airtex is good. My 78 has Airtex for both pumps

Sending unit-not a lot of choices. good used one is easiest, aftermarket ones are pretty much all the same. Once again, look this up on cleanflametraps site to know what you are getting into. I have an extra sending unit removal/install tool if you need one.

Spark plugs-NGK copper plugs, platinum sucks

Cap and rotor- Bosch

Fuel pumps-Airtex is fine, I would refer you to cleanflametrap.com for a very good writeup on the various pumps available, oversimplified version is Airtex is good. My 78 has Airtex for both pumps

Sending unit-not a lot of choices. good used one is easiest, aftermarket ones are pretty much all the same. Once again, look this up on cleanflametraps site to know what you are getting into. I have an extra sending unit removal/install tool if you need one.

the bung nut dealie?? If so I need one haha. where you located. PM what you'd need for it brother

For the main pump under the rear seat I'd much prefer Bosch if you can afford/get one. The good things I've found with Airtex are specifically from my experience using E8778 tank pumps, not main pumps. Information on brands in the aftermarket changes too much and too often to allow any of us to draw meaningful conclusions on quality.

Why aren't you doing the timing belt and tensioner? Replacing the bushings on the alternator and powersteering brackets?
The continental belt is good. I have had good experience with the tensioner from FCP euro. Or get a volvo one.
The accessory bracket bushings are good in rubber. The volvo ones can be pricey but are good stuff. You need three for the alternator and four for the power steering.

Last edited:
Beru also makes good ignition components. Rock auto sells reboxed Beru under the standard motor products brand. Just be sure to use the version without the extra letter. Like GB423 NOT GB423T for example with the distributor cap. NVL 145 is the part number for the Beru rotor with low resistance instead of the usual high resistance rotor.

I am going to grab as many things from FCP Euro as I can.

Here's what I got so far:
Bougi's: 272194
Part #: BOU-6435
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-igntion-wire-set-240-244-245-940-272194

Bosch Distributer cap: Bosch 03010
Part #: BOS-03010
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bm...e-saab-volvo-volkswagen-distributor-cap-03010

Distributor Rotor - Bosch 04033:
Part #: BOS-04110
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bm...saab-volvo-volkswagen-distributor-rotor-04033

Spark Plug (Standard Resistor) - NGK 7131
Part #: NGK-7131 or BPR6ES
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/spark-plug-7131

and for the heck of it i may get myself a Bentley Manual... still on the fence.

working on finding a EDIT: main pump now from somewhere else. Going with either rock auto or IPD. was also planning on checking the salvage yard tomorrow to see what the one (single... sigh) 240 has in terms of parts tomorrow. gonna see whats in the in tank and the main-pump as well. Hoping to find a decent oem fuel sending unit and if the pump looks legit I may grab it as well.

I'll circle back once I figure do more shopping between Rockauto and ipd.

Thanks for all the advice and help so far ya'll.

-Bike

Last edited:
Careful with Rock Auto shipping charges.

If all are shipped from one site they are reasonable but the parts can all come from different warehouses and you pay the shipping over and over again.

Oil your hood hinges.

For the main pump under the rear seat I'd much prefer Bosch if you can afford/get one. The good things I've found with Airtex are specifically from my experience using E8778 tank pumps, not main pumps. Information on brands in the aftermarket changes too much and too often to allow any of us to draw meaningful conclusions on quality.

i'm starstruck... I got my info off your website. I will look into a Bosch... I think im gonna go look at a few yards here tomorrow and see if I can find anything decent local in the mean time.

Is it important to change both at the same time? I have heard mixed things... one person says that normally the whining from the under seat pump is caused from a faulty in tank pump. I would love to if I can just change out the main pump since it will be easier and I can tackle the in-tank pump once I have the right stuff for it (oem sending unit and such). What is your take brother?

Other question:

Locally there is the following cars at some yards:
1995 Volvo 850 Wagon
1997 Volvo 850
1995 Volvo 960 Wagon
1993 Volvo 940
1996 Volvo 850
1997 Volvo 960
1997 Volvo 850
1994 Volvo 850
1993 Volvo 940
1993 Volvo 960 Wagon
1997 Volvo 850
1987 Volvo 760
1992 Volvo 740 Wagon
1989 Volvo 240

I know a decent amount about 240's as i've owned 3 of them. That being said, I don't know much about the 7,8,9 series though. I am starting to look into them more. From what I've heard some 900 series have certain fuel components that can be used... which is what the in-tank upgrade from IPD is right?

Are there any of these that are listed that I should be paying special attention to in terms of the parts I need to potentially harvest something useful from them?

Thanks again to everyone who has been super helpful! I am going to go piddle around at the yard some tomorrow but having some direction would save me a bunch of time!

You can use the intank pump upgrade from either a 740 or 940 turbo. The feed pipe has to be cut a bit shorter on the fuel sender.

Other than that. Those cars have nothing for you with the fuel system. You car is kjet and uses a higher pressure main pump than all those efi cars on your list.

Why are you changing the main fuel pump? Why not just have the fuel system checked? If the pump is performing properly then you don't need one. The kjet main pressure pump is probably the longest lasting highest quality pump type that Bosch has made. It is more important to have a good intank pump. So that is good that you are gong to service that.

Is it important to change both at the same time? I have heard mixed things... one person says that normally the whining from the under seat pump is caused from a faulty in tank pump. ...

Like ^^ dl242gt says, don't order stuff until you know it needs changing, especially something as expensive and long-lasting as a Bosch main pump. They squawk when they aren't being delivered fuel or electricity, as I mentioned in the tank pump writeup. Most of the time they are OK once you give them back their supply of input. If you've got extra money to spend, consider buying books, tools, test equipment.

Back