• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1987 240 - Which Starter?

DStarratt

The starter on my 87 245 is dead. It looks like it?s been in there a while, maybe the original. I checked the local parts store and they offer a magnetic gear reduction starter and also a direct drive starter. The magnetic gear reduction starter is more expensive. I?m guessing there is a difference in quality. Is there a difference in fitment?

The early ones were field wound. Newer had field magnets. All will interchange. I don’t remember which had more torque.

The earlier starters last longer but are heavier. They both last pretty long though. The gear reduction starters are a lot lighter. If you do buy the newer reduction drive style make sure it is the more powerful version volvo updated to in 90 or 91. The starter went from something like 800w to 1.4kw power and those will crank the engine better.

I've had, or known of, 2-3 of the later, lighter starters stop working. Mine did it when hot, so did the one on Rob's 242 drift car.

I never had an early, heavier starter fail. In introduced the failure by weight savings on my autocross car. :lol:

I'd go the cheaper route for the heavy one.

Back