• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

sketchup hoist

thanks for the help fellas, I would have not gotten this far with out the help, especianly with the winch and Volvo244GLE for pointing out I (once again) forgot to account for the leverage.

what you have helped me resolve is the moving of the hoist, the amount of load, how to mount the wheels (forgot to put in the image), and the winch in combo with a pully

less than $100 in materieals, It will work and it is safe
IMG_0012.jpg

ooOOoooo good idea, and its on wheels, just getting to my cumalong might be as awqard as usual, but I have alot of scrap metal atm, and could almost not buy anything to make this, so I could make what you have there for nothing :p I could have the winch on the side and have a pully in the center at the top, and still have my electric hookup idea :-P

You need to move the pivot of the arm away from the winch and pulley. If you have a 5 foot tube with 4 feet hanging off the pivot and only a foot in back (roughly what your picture shows) your gonna come close to quadrupling the force on that winch. IE that 400 pound motor just became a 1600 pound motor. In order to make the pivot work for you it needs to be longer.

There is a reason all the engine lifts i've seen share the same design: It works and is affordable to produce. Find a used hydraulic cylinder and use that. Then you can use a pivot to increase travel without worrying about load.

less than $100 in materieals, It will work and it is safe
IMG_0012.jpg

should add that in that image the braces between the top bar and uprights were not installed. you can see the black dots on the beams showing where the holes for it are.

held engine and gearbox with ease, im pretty confident it could be used to pick up the whole front half of a car.

when it comes to designing stuff, the simpler it is, generally the better it is. i had initially planned on building an engine crane but i liked the simplicity and cost of this idea more.

oh and a swing set is not equivalent to my design, broke my childhood timber swing set pulling a daihatsu charade engine and gearbox :lol:

Back