• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

'79 Fuel Pump Check Valve?

$te4dyBrickin'

Ok so I finally picked up a '79 245. Long story short I'm looking for the fuel pump check valve. I dropped the little dish the main pump and accumulator sit on under the driver side rear passenger door. Unlike the video on youtube of the guy with his '90 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIW3VgovsYM), the main pump on my car DOES NOT have that main line thingy straight out the middle. I cant upload photos cause this sight is not that easy.

Anyways could that valve be near the fuel filter? What about later down the line from the main pump. Can some just start posting stuff ONLY about '79 and back. I know the ins and outs of '86 plus but apparently I'm in the dark ages :/

On a 79, the check valve is straight out of the center of the pump. Just like in the Youtube video above. The real early 240s had the check valve coming out sideways from the pump. Probably, 1975-77 used that set up.

I really wish I could upload these pictures. I'm not sure if this thingy with the line directly from the tank is the main pump, but it doesn't exit out straight. It exits out to the side going the the next thingy (lol I'm such a loser) that has a line going towards the engine (leading to the fuel filter itself). Ima try to get some photos up now

It sounds like you have an early pump set up on your car. Those have a black painted pump with a small cad plated barbed connector coming out of the side of the pump with a plastic tube going over to the accumulator. If that description sounds familiar, the barbed connector/fitting is the check valve. It is half the size of the one in the youtube video above.

OH NOOOOOOOO and I already bought that one lol. Here's a pick of that setup. And so you mean this one is the wrong one for my car?
https://www.ipdusa.com/products/8403/112927-fuel-pump-check-valve-240-k-jet

I just got this one in the mail today. But if this isn't it then I'm just being shafted all over because IDP told me the fitment was correct for this car...... Shafted
bAKK7x

If you discover that the check valve is indeed bad, I have a brand new OE Volvo check valve for the early style pump in my desk drawer that I bought 20 years ago. I don't have any early 240s anymore. I'll sell it for $25, plus shipping.

Welp...... I've been shafted. Idp sold me a check valve too large for the pump on my car. Photos!

https://ibb.co/cfzpqH - The top one is from IDP. Too big. The bottom one came straight off the pump. This is absolutely ridiculous lol. Where would one even find that valve? And why, with my car info put into the website, did IDP confirm that it would fit? Not too happy about a fib. That being said, I just blew out the old valve with some air and ima plug it back up. On that note, the nylon hose is DEAD. Photos!

https://ibb.co/c4zdjc - Clamps are good! Hose went to H E double hockey sticks straight up. I've heard about this hose before and its $70+ price tag at der Volvo dealer but ima just bite the bullet and go to Autozone real quick.

https://ibb.co/fbz0xx - Also just wanted you to see exactly what that valve came out of.

I'll tell you what..... lol

Called IDP and was told that that's the only valve they sell. Would you happen to have a part number on that mini valve? And I'm zero'd out right now but hopefully I can get that from you. This really sucks :/

There is no part number on it. It was lose when I bought it. Bad check valves were such a common problem back in the day the Volvo dealer had several in a parts drawer. IPD used to sell it up until about 3 years ago.

[url said:
https://ibb.co/cfzpqH[/url] - The top one is from IDP. Too big. The bottom one came straight off the pump. This is absolutely ridiculous lol. Where would one even find that valve? And why, with my car info put into the website, did IDP confirm that it would fit? Not too happy about a fib. That being said, I just blew out the old valve with some air and ima plug it back up. On that note, the nylon hose is DEAD. Photos!

The bottom valve in that picture is the type I have.

The part # is 243960, but it's NLA.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/volvo-check-valve-243960

Have you checked the valve to make sure it's bad? There's lots of other reasons the fuel system won't hold pressure. Leaking injectors, hoses, fuel distributor or acccumulator can all cause the system pressure to bleed down.

If you do end up changing the valve, I have the hard plastic hose that's supposed to be used to connect the check valve to the fitting for the accumulator. I've also got the check valve, but I'm not gonna step on Roy's toes.

Great. Discontinued parts. My favorite!

I haven't gotten $150 to rent that FP tester but the reason i believe its the check valve is this:

1)When i drove it home yesterday it operates fine at highway speeds (60-65mph/even in OD) without any misfiring, sputtering, or jerking. There is no excessive whine from either fuel pumps. Even when at a stand if i keep the rpms over 2500 it actually runs smooth as butter.

2)When starting the car it will jump off then die immediately. After that I prime the system 3-5 times before attempting again. Once pressure is built up, it cranks and starts but goes to die again. This is when i "save" it by bumping the gas pedal a little bit to keep it up. Sometimes when im doing that. the engine might jump up to 2k rpm then try to fall flat on its face again..... until i "save" it. I've heard that this could be the fuel pressure building on the check valve while its stuck closed (or semi closed) until the fuel forces the valve to open. This in turn could flood out a cylinder and stall the car, but since i give it a lil bump it probably evens out the AFR just for a second to keep her alive. If i feather foot the gas at the idle spot, it can stay there for a good minute until its ready to die yet again (as if im causing the pressure to stabilize just for idle but the valve does't allow any more fuel thru and inevitably dies out)

What you are describing is exactly how a K-jet car behaves with a bad check valve. It isn't that they are stuck closed. They are stuck open. The car can be incredibly hard to start. Especially, after they are warmed up. I wouldn't bother to rent a tester to check all the fuel pressures. Old time Volvo service mechanics would go over to the drawer and pull out a check valve when they heard that description. I went though that 30 years ago. My 75 242 would run fine one day, wouldn't restart the next. It would usually fire right up after cooling off overnight. Sometimes, it would take feathering the gas for 2 minutes to get it to come to life where it would actually produce any power. I went to the dealer and asked about having the fuel pressure tested. The service manager said "Why? It's your check valve." My wife had been stranded twice in the car. I insisted on having the pressure tested. $100 later, they called me and told me I needed a check valve. I bought one and replaced it and the car worked perfectly after that. It was $100 worth of peace of mind. The two tows were $200.

Last edited:
Yea its going to have to happen. Now I'm just stuck with a random check valve HA! I'll hit you all up when I finally gets something together. Guess i'll just post another post when that time comes around, saying something about a '79 again :D It just kinda struck me hard knowing this part is seriously gone. I wish I could fab up something and make like 10 of em for my self!! Engineering! The guy at Autozone shook his head in doubt when I asked him about the check valve with just hearing me say '79 Volvo. It was amusing!

The easy fix for the 1979 side outlet fuel pump is to change your car to the 1980 and newer kjet fuel pump setup. You just need the parts for a 1980-1982 n/a 240. It all bolts on and you now have available new parts like the ipd check valve. You do have to change the accumulator as well as the small fuel pipe between the pump and accumulator.

You do have to change the accumulator as well as the small fuel pipe between the pump and accumulator.

Ahhh ok that does make complete sense. Funny though because I've already found the pump and accumulator (hopefully the right one, smh) for an '82 but that little line you speak of is the line in that video 'ol dude was talking about..... something about that line being relatively expensive at the Volvo dealer. Plus, does anyone know a part number for that line? Ha! This is like the hunt of the season!

And for all those who had a hard time with the hose in my setup and ends up breaking that line, it's a 5/16 fuel line hose from autozone for about $2/ft (very rough estimate. likely not accurate). It fit fine once I cut it to size, clamped down fine, and (currently) no leaks. I guess as time goes on though that line might not make it some 20+ years like oem. For all I know, that line could be 39!

Back