• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 740 Door / Trunk Seals and Window Blade Source?

Bones

Anyone know where I can get door seals, trunk seals, and those wiper blades that clean each window off? I've got a water leak to chase down, and I've checked the usual Volvo parts sites.

I realized a while ago that I could see the ground (door closed) from my driver's side front door in my '85 745. After much searching I couldn't find anything I was willing to pay for new. ($$$) Hour or two at the pick-n-pull got me a good door seal for $5.00 or something like that.

Longest part of the whole swap was getting all the plastic pieces off and reinstalling. 20 min total.

-simon

Sounds like a plan to me- so just look for the ones with the best condition rubber, right? What causes these seals to fail, anyways? Is there a sign I can look for on the JY cars that tells me a seal is bad?

Should be obvious if there is an issue. Most common cause of failure: exposure to abrasion, dirt, weather, ozone, sunlight and other elements such as earth wind and fire. I've only ever seen door seal and trunk seals fail on the 700/900, never seen the window scrapers go bad.

Some info on removing the window scrapers (sill trim) here:
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=735713&postcount=10

On the front door seals the only thing not-obvious that I would look for is in the b pillar to roof corner. It is a right angle and that is where they put the beginning/end joint. This was halfway gone on many of the cars I looked at.

Personally, my seal was crap because:
a) it is 25+ years old
b) I spent a huge amount of time rolling around in/out of the front side there doing wiring for my v8 swap. This started many of the tears in my seal.

I found that almost every car in the yard had a better door seal and the newer the car, the better the seal, in most cases.

-simon

Let me run my water leak question by you guys: I was wondering why there was moisture in the car, and after actually looking in during the daylight......there's a pool of standing water on the passenger side footwell in the backseat! Could this be from the window seal, or would it be from the drain holes plugging up, or perhaps the window "wiper" failing and water running down into the door and onto the carpet? Either way, there was a pool of water in my backseat-now there's a bucket of damp-rid in there- and I'm trying to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Also, there's condensation on the inside of the metal trunk lid, I suspect that's because of a bad trunk seal and clogged drains.

Thank you guys for the info on the window seals, hopefully I can find some in decent condition at the junkyard. TFT, thanks for the post on the scrapers. I don't know if that's the issue yet, but in my searching on the subject (a tbricker that searches before he posts!) some said those could fail and cause water to run down into the door.

The door drains would also have to be plugged in order for the water entering the door to make it inside the car, and then you would find the doors are sloshing heavy with water when you open them. If you have a sun roof, odds are one or more of the drains are blocked, not usually difficult to clear them.

A more common leak are the plastic plugs behind the kick panels: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=693352&postcount=3

Otherwise I would pull the rear carpet up, dry out the car and sprinkle some baby powder (or flour) around to see where the water is coming from.

I would not suspect the trunk seal unless I found water in the carpet of the trunk or below the spare tire.

Yes, and actually 940 ones fit too. My 2 front door seals are from a 95 940. Figured i'd get as new as I could get at the junkyard.

A heads up. I unfortunately just discovered that the trunk seal for all 700 sedans has been discontinued by Volvo. I called several dealers in the USA and Canada, and no dice, no old stock on their shelves.

FCP and IPD do not carry these seals, either.

I believe the part number was 1392947, superceding 1268100.

I was told taillights for 700 sedans have been discontinued, too. Joy.

Back