home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 06-04-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
242Bleek
k-jet groupie

Default 83 245T fuel pump fuse and relay extremely hot.

I've been dealing with this issue for a while now. The car is an 83 245T. I was told to begin with a new engine harness as mine was completely rotted away. So today I just finished installing it. I let the car run for a while and I go back to shut it off and the inside is filled with light smoke from the plastic around the relay plug melting. If you put a plastic fuse in the fuel pump spot it will melt completely away. I was told it was normal for the fuel pump circuit to get a little hot but this is not normal. I just installed a brand new fuel pump relay, new in tank pump, and have checked every single wire involved.

Anyone have this happen before or know where to look to fix it? Thanks
82' 242t 16v-Every mod known to man kind
72' 162E-B30 (no the 2 isn't a typo)
83’ kjet with 245 attached
98’ s70x2
95' s10 awd LS 1000+club

VFBG
242Bleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:12 PM   #2
Lord_Athlon
Just damn

Because theyre new doesn't mean they aren't drawing a lot of current.

Check the grounds for the pumps. The intank is on top on the left side in the trunk, and the undercar is under the carpet for the rear seat. Which fuse is getting hot? They have two.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:50 PM   #3
dobber13
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242Bleek View Post
I've been dealing with this issue for a while now. The car is an 83 245T. I was told to begin with a new engine harness as mine was completely rotted away. So today I just finished installing it. I let the car run for a while and I go back to shut it off and the inside is filled with light smoke from the plastic around the relay plug melting. If you put a plastic fuse in the fuel pump spot it will melt completely away. I was told it was normal for the fuel pump circuit to get a little hot but this is not normal. I just installed a brand new fuel pump relay, new in tank pump, and have checked every single wire involved.

Anyone have this happen before or know where to look to fix it? Thanks
That happened to a while ago and the problem was weak connections. Pull the wires out of the connector at the fuel pump relay,use a small flat head screw driver to release the tabs that hold in each female connector.
If the plastic is melted just cut the plastic off.Make sure you know where each wire goes. once you have them all out of the connector you can cut back the wire to install new female connectors on good wire.
I think the one that is burned up is yellow/red. I didn't bother with a new plastic connector until I was sure that solved the problem.
You also want to check the wires at the fuse box because those can get hot also ,make good tight and clean connections on all fuses and wires.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:11 PM   #4
vlvman
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobber13 View Post
That happened to a while ago and the problem was weak connections. Pull the wires out of the connector at the fuel pump relay,use a small flat head screw driver to release the tabs that hold in each female connector.
If the plastic is melted just cut the plastic off.Make sure you know where each wire goes. once you have them all out of the connector you can cut back the wire to install new female connectors on good wire.
I think the one that is burned up is yellow/red. I didn't bother with a new plastic connector until I was sure that solved the problem.
You also want to check the wires at the fuse box because those can get hot also ,make good tight and clean connections on all fuses and wires.
/\This and /\That.
Had: 77 242 DL, 80 242 DL, 82 245 DL, 89 740 GL, 94 850T, 95 850 GL, and a 02 S60 2.4T
vlvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #5
242Bleek
k-jet groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Athlon View Post
Because theyre new doesn't mean they aren't drawing a lot of current.

Check the grounds for the pumps. The intank is on top on the left side in the trunk, and the undercar is under the carpet for the rear seat. Which fuse is getting hot? They have two.
It's the red 16A fuse in the middle. It seems the the red wire which I think is constant power to the relay is the one getting hottest and melting the plug. I will check all the connections.
242Bleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:47 PM   #6
benski
Board Member

One of my favorite tools for making things clean is a Dremel with a stainless brush. Wear eye protection, of course, and then GENTLY crimp the female connector so it's about as tight as it can be and still fit on the male side. I also use a little NoAlox or some other paste on the junction to keep them from oxidizing. And yes, check all your connections, grounds included..
benski is offline   Reply With Quote