home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
242Bleek
k-jet groupie
 
242Bleek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Brooksville/Tampa, FL
Default 83 245T fuel pump fuse and relay extremely hot.

I've been dealing with this issue for a while now. The car is an 83 245T. I was told to begin with a new engine harness as mine was completely rotted away. So today I just finished installing it. I let the car run for a while and I go back to shut it off and the inside is filled with light smoke from the plastic around the relay plug melting. If you put a plastic fuse in the fuel pump spot it will melt completely away. I was told it was normal for the fuel pump circuit to get a little hot but this is not normal. I just installed a brand new fuel pump relay, new in tank pump, and have checked every single wire involved.

Anyone have this happen before or know where to look to fix it? Thanks
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestPoint View Post
The D24 did not accelerate, it accumulated speed.
82' 242t 16v-Every mod known to man kind
72' 162E-B30 (no the 2 isn't a typo)
83’ kjet with 245 attached
98’ s70x2
95' s10 awd LS 1000+club

VFBG
242Bleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:12 PM   #2
Lord_Athlon
Just damn
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Real world
Default

Because theyre new doesn't mean they aren't drawing a lot of current.

Check the grounds for the pumps. The intank is on top on the left side in the trunk, and the undercar is under the carpet for the rear seat. Which fuse is getting hot? They have two.
__________________
84 242 turbo msII
My build https://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=8675309
Lord_Athlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:50 PM   #3
dobber13
Board Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: elgin s.c. 29045
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242Bleek View Post
I've been dealing with this issue for a while now. The car is an 83 245T. I was told to begin with a new engine harness as mine was completely rotted away. So today I just finished installing it. I let the car run for a while and I go back to shut it off and the inside is filled with light smoke from the plastic around the relay plug melting. If you put a plastic fuse in the fuel pump spot it will melt completely away. I was told it was normal for the fuel pump circuit to get a little hot but this is not normal. I just installed a brand new fuel pump relay, new in tank pump, and have checked every single wire involved.

Anyone have this happen before or know where to look to fix it? Thanks
That happened to a while ago and the problem was weak connections. Pull the wires out of the connector at the fuel pump relay,use a small flat head screw driver to release the tabs that hold in each female connector.
If the plastic is melted just cut the plastic off.Make sure you know where each wire goes. once you have them all out of the connector you can cut back the wire to install new female connectors on good wire.
I think the one that is burned up is yellow/red. I didn't bother with a new plastic connector until I was sure that solved the problem.
You also want to check the wires at the fuse box because those can get hot also ,make good tight and clean connections on all fuses and wires.
__________________
Charlie 85 244 TI B21FT 265K M46
dobber13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:11 PM   #4
vlvman
Board Member
 
vlvman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jefferson City, MO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobber13 View Post
That happened to a while ago and the problem was weak connections. Pull the wires out of the connector at the fuel pump relay,use a small flat head screw driver to release the tabs that hold in each female connector.
If the plastic is melted just cut the plastic off.Make sure you know where each wire goes. once you have them all out of the connector you can cut back the wire to install new female connectors on good wire.
I think the one that is burned up is yellow/red. I didn't bother with a new plastic connector until I was sure that solved the problem.
You also want to check the wires at the fuse box because those can get hot also ,make good tight and clean connections on all fuses and wires.
/\This and /\That.
__________________
Robert
http://www.volvowiringdiagrams.com/
82 244DL, 2004 S60R AWD, 2008 S40 GF's
Had: 77 242 DL, 80 242 DL, 82 245 DL, 89 740 GL, 94 850T, 95 850 GL, and a 02 S60 2.4T
vlvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #5
242Bleek
k-jet groupie
 
242Bleek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Brooksville/Tampa, FL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Athlon View Post
Because theyre new doesn't mean they aren't drawing a lot of current.

Check the grounds for the pumps. The intank is on top on the left side in the trunk, and the undercar is under the carpet for the rear seat. Which fuse is getting hot? They have two.
It's the red 16A fuse in the middle. It seems the the red wire which I think is constant power to the relay is the one getting hottest and melting the plug. I will check all the connections.
242Bleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:47 PM   #6
benski
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Olympic Peninsula, Wa. State
Post

One of my favorite tools for making things clean is a Dremel with a stainless brush. Wear eye protection, of course, and then GENTLY crimp the female connector so it's about as tight as it can be and still fit on the male side. I also use a little NoAlox or some other paste on the junction to keep them from oxidizing. And yes, check all your connections, grounds included..
benski is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.