• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

S/V/C 2001 C70 Manual Shift Knob Removal

search NOOB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObGUZDT6ChU

TLDW - just suck it off real hard

Ya saw that as well as every other vid and post I could find out there.

In that vid he is standing in his living room talking about how he ****ed one up. Later in the vid he has the whole shift mechanism out of the car and in a vice or something.

I've heard the "just pull it off" a couple of times, not looking to break the stupid thing.

Perhaps Jack - if you don't have actual, real life experience removing one yourself you can be a quiet observer for once and learn something rather than an active participant? :) :) :) (though I appreciate that you were trying to be helpful).

Ya saw that as well as every other vid and post I could find out there.

In that vid he is standing in his living room talking about how he ****ed one up. Later in the vid he has the whole shift mechanism out of the car and in a vice or something.

I've heard the "just pull it off" a couple of times, not looking to break the stupid thing.

Perhaps Jack - if you don't have actual, real life experience removing one yourself you can be a quiet observer for once rather than an active participant? :) :) :)

But I do. Removed a few never broke one.

His info is good just talks too damn much

Sir

But I do. Removed a few never broke one.

His info is good just talks too damn much

Sir

Ya I like his videos, he does a good service.

So what - you just pull it straight up and it comes off? Isn't the boot connected?

I think Volvo had a special tool for these like what ford uses to disconnect fuel filters/lines

In the video he has it off because he explains that if you just pull it you’ll likely break the white plastic piece t bottom of shifter

I always did it off car but maybe hold rod with vice grips while you tapie tap tap with your two other hands wrench at bottom of knob

Btw did you ever source a 901?

If it's anything like the automatic shift knob in these cars it gets pulled up and off. The auto ones do contain a switch mechanism so I imagine they're even more fragile.

Thanks for posting that really appreciate it. The shifter looks different though. Have to take a look today.

Actually the more I look at that page the less it looks like a 2001 C70, nothing on that console (including the shifter) look the same. Maybe the 800 series shifter removal is the same?

:wave:

Last edited:
This is what VIDA says on the subject.

i-mgmBQXM-X3.jpg

Appreciate it - that's pretty much the same link but do appreciate you posting the image. :wave:

I'm still a bit confused. To remove the gear shift knob you have to cut away the leather cover? How do you replace it without it looking like crap?

And that manual is referencing an entirely different console and shifter. Not even remotely close to the 2001 C70.

Last edited:
Back