• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

I was too legit. Too legit to quit.

Right on, thanks Kardboard!

So I fix the window switches (thanks Gary) and then the cruise control quits :lol: damn car. The diaphragm and line look fine..does the CC have its own relay I should check? Going to work through this article for now:

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/CruiseControl.html

8hRsN97l.jpg

Last edited:
Oil change this morning. Spent the early afternoon deciphering the different types of window switches. 3 different switches shown in various stages of disassembly

QJNrNnKl.jpg

After a lot of staring at the switches, I decided you can just solder the switch as I did here. The solder nearest to the bulb is where it needs to be done. The solder to the left was just to reinforce a connection that looked near breaking. I'll make a little write up about how to make them work in the driver's door. Thanks Gary for pointing out the difference! I'm no electrician so my solder work will improve over time. Time to start looking for some 850 auto window relays :nod:

wUcr3LLl.jpg

Last edited:
about the cruise control: I remember retro fitting a complete set into my 940lpt.

in a CC equiped cars there is a cut-out (vacume?) switch below the brake pedal.
In a manual trans car the clutch pedal also has a second switch below the clutch pedal.
Both switches can and need to be height adjusted in such a way that they only break contact/vacume whenever the pedal is pushed in.

In an earlier post you mentioned that you replaced the brake booster + the pushrod between pedal and mastercylinder. maybe one of those switches is no longer adjusted correctly because that pushrod effects the resting position of the brake pedal. Making the CC system inoperable.

solution: re-adjust cut-out switch on the brake pedal. Let us know if that fixes the CC.

picture of the setup in a 850 but in a 740/940 it's very similar:
https://s14-eu5.startpage.com/cgi-b...pedal.jpg&sp=38147d79e3d395c5b7ffebc57ee9f3b6

Last edited:
Every time Janspeed posts in my thread I think "Oh great...what did I do wrong?" :lol: I understand what you're saying about the switches breaking contact. It will be until Tuesday before the car and I will have any significant down time. Honestly, thank you for sharing! I am sure you are helping more than just myself :nod:

Last edited:
Red turbo is getting the Spal and lower radiator hose, blue wagon needs a starter and the trans is not doing well. Might swap the trans "while I'm in there" :lol:

3SGVkvUl.jpg

Last edited:
Another day, another repair :cool: Front brakes, possibly RF spindle damage from an pothole old hit :lol: Keep on wrenchin'...Volvo Life :nod:

btJr6Til.jpg

Loading a few more rounds into the parts shotgun :lol: Doing front brakes tonight. Harmonic balancer is on the shelf. Spal is waiting for me to do the radiator hoses. I figured brakes were more urgent :-P

9dJW5KIl.jpg

Pads and rotors were thoroughly used :lol:

HakbqgBl.jpg

Greased the floating caliper pins (before pics, forgot to take finished/cleaned pics) What grease do you guys recommend? I bought some STP hi-temp.

kXSRhTSl.jpg

0fpYaXJl.jpg

Last edited:
I've used Redline in them a few times with no issues at all. Also ran a snug fitting drill bit by hand thru the guides followed by a wire wheel on the dremel to clean out the rust before greasing, since those are prone to seizing.

Definitely due for pads! lol

Right on, thanks for the tips :cool: Is synthetic brake fluid an issue for these cars if I do a complete flush?

LyH6WeSl.jpg

On a side note..the Pizza Hut logo looks like a little 740 :lol:

62EycQ6l.jpg

lol

Shouldn't be an issue with synthetic fluid. I use ATE stuff, a bit better quality than the Prestone, but I tend to flog mine and heat the brakes up from time to time. I'd go DOT4 though unless you just bought that one.

Good to know :nod: I just grabbed the Prestone to flush out the brake lines since the fluid looks pretty dirty top to bottom, so new fluid will be an upgrade. This car doesn't see much heavy braking. I'll grab some better product next time around.

I was leaving just as my uncle pulled up. The neighborhood probably thinks we run some bizarre Volvo trafficking ring (there are 2 more in the driveway) :lol:

CmQv3NQl.jpg

Back