• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

How to silence an exhaust leak?

derosa

The Rev
this was a tough leak to find since the car blows no visible smoke but after much searching I found the leak in the downpipe, so now how do I quiet it?

my prefered method would be to +t but my sam downpipe is backordered, and I can't remember who I bought the 13c from but its about 2 weeks overdue which has me worried. New downpipe is way too much for something I hope will be a temporary problem, so how to deal with it?

autozone....get some thin sheet metal and jbweld it over the leak the use some hose clamp to hodin more permanently....held me for a little over a year

How to fix an exhaust leak when you are planning an upgrade soon, or you're just plain ghetto 101

caution, may cause seemingly awesome ideas that may not work out so well when executed. i do not take responsibility for car fires or drunked head crushing by failure to use jack stands and or anything else you may do to yourself in your own time.

Supplies:
tin can
two hose clamps
tube of gasket sealer or exhaust putty
tin snips
beer

Instructions:

1. locate your leaky hole, no in your exhaust pipe, and knock off rust or oil build up so that its mostly clean and dry.

2. In true turbobricks spirit, drink your beer.

3. cut the bottom of the can out and proceed to slice the tin can down the side and open it up so its a "C"

4. squeeze out a bunch of sealer around the hole or leak... lots of it.

5. unscrew hose clamps so they can be wrapped around the ehxuast pipe

6. wrap gewy hole with tin can debris most likely overlapping the can on one side

7. line up hose clamps and rethread them. tighten down and let it sit. Some exhaust putty requires you to heat it up... i recommend not doing that by running the car as it will usually just break it up and blow it out onto your driveway.

enjoy another 2-3 months of leak free, emissions passing, quiet exhaust :cheers:

get new exhaust or weld it...

take it to an exhaust shop and ask them to weld it up. i doubt it'll be more than 25 bucks.

my stock exhaust starting leaking on the original welds about a month ago, and i had midas weld them back up for me. worked fine. however, since i took my resonator out and had a straight pipe welded in its place, it leaks on either end now. they welded over it two seperate times, and it leaks again. im replacing the whole exhaust next week..but would it pass like that? its loud, and besides no res, the only other exhaust change i did was put a DTM at the end

How to fix an exhaust leak when you are planning an upgrade soon, or you're just plain ghetto 101

caution, may cause seemingly awesome ideas that may not work out so well when executed. i do not take responsibility for car fires or drunked head crushing by failure to use jack stands and or anything else you may do to yourself in your own time.

Supplies:
tin can
two hose clamps
tin snips
beer

Instructions:

1. locate your leaky hole, no in your exhaust pipe, and knock off rust or oil build up so that its mostly clean and dry.

3. cut the bottom of the can out and proceed to slice the tin can down the side and open it up so its a "C"

6. wrap gewy hole with tin can debris most likely overlapping the can on one side

7. line up hose clamps and rethread them. tighten down and let it sit. Some exhaust putty requires you to heat it up... i recommend not doing that by running the car as it will usually just break it up and blow it out onto your driveway.

enjoy another 2-3 months of leak free, emissions passing, quiet exhaust :cheers:

That's a great idea :-D

Supplies:
tin can
two hose clamps
tin snips
beer

Instructions:

We have a winner, this sounds truely ghetto, workable and cheaper then a weld at monroe, I'll give this a try on sun when I have free time.

The same thing exists pre-fabricated at Menards - except in stainless. It is a coupler for joining pipes. It comes in various sizes and has a rubber gasket in it. I used one - minus the rubber part - on my wifes jeep last winter and it is still holding fine.

Back