• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 starting at full throttle?

Red Rocker

My 940 is starting and the engine is running at full throttle. Throttle cables move freely.
So would this be throttle body or the throttle sensor? After messing with it, just man handling
the linkage I got it to calm down. But when I shut it off and started it again the idle was
in the 3k range until it had a minute to idle. The conditions are very cold here so any advice
prior to tearing into it would be great. Thanks.

Same thing happened to me and it turned out to be a little clip from the intercooler coupler holding the throttle plate open. Shortly after it made its way into cylinder 4 intake valve.

Make sure nothing is holding your throttle plate open.

with the engine OFF: take the hose off the throttle body. Manually apply WOT and reach into the TB and feel if you can move the butterfly valve around (in relation to the axel.) If yes you have found your problem. The 2 screws that hold the butterfly valve fixed in the the axel will have worked lose. This allows the butterfly valve to jam in the TB bore which keeps it from closing fully. This races the engine and does not allow it to idle at normal rpm.

fix: take the TBff the manifold. Open the throttle and fully clean the bore using carb cleaner. Manipulate the butterfly valve until you will be able to fully close it. Then re-tighten the 2 screws and apply a drop of locktite onto the thread on the back of the screws. This will prevent them from ever losening again. Then reinstall the TB.

Back