• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

142 master cylinders

AndrewNance

Amateur hour!
Bubbling paint on the front of my brake booster seems to suggest that my MC has been leaking for longer than I want to admit. Are OE masters available for these (specifically a ?71)? VP has one for $115 with a new reservoir but that sounds like an aftermarket price. Wilwood has one that could work for about $260. I?d prefer Girling/FAG/whatever is OE if possible.

How about a rebuild kit? I could probably get going with a kit, some fresh paint, and a new reservoir.

What?s the bore size of a factory MC? I?m almost positive that, considering how Volvo loved to never change their braking systems, there are newer, more available masters out there.

RockAuto lists Centric MCs for both versions of the 140 MC. Probably the same as the VP MC. You won't know where the Centric MC is made until it arrives.

I got a genuine replacement ATE MC for my car about 7 years ago. I am not sure that ATE is still making them. The definite way to confirm the availability of the MC would be to go to the ATE Classics web site; however, as I recall from looking for something a while ago a working knowledge of German was required.

Unfortunately, my normal suppliers are no longer selling ATE or any other brand for the early 140s.

In fact, I just got 1 for a customer and 1 for stock from VP.

FYI, although ATE made a high quality replacement, originally the 140 -1972 master cylinders were Girling. ATE was the original manufacturer for the brake masters cylinders used on 1973- 140, on all 164s as well as all 1800E/ES Volvos.

Is there not a good quality rebuild kit available? Does anyone know the bore size for the factory one? I’m going to do some googlin’ and see what’s out there. If the ones from VP are decent then I could go that route too.

Back