• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1966 Amazon 121 - mildy restored

ZyreX

Bought an Amazon together with my dad about 4 years ago, which was in a pretty good condition - even owned by a swede. He had taken good care of it, and had had some work done to it. So it had a newly rebuilt axle and all the suspension parts were new, windscreen had been swapped and some more things I don't remember anymore.

On the way home, we had parked at a shop to get some soda, and in those 10 minutes, some punk keyed it. Really nice, bro.

Almost every panel had key marks. Now, the paint wasn't great to begin with, but this sucked. But I filled in the marks with paint, wet sanded it and polished. It came out pretty good.

So this was the paint, very faded. It turned out it was a paintjob from the 1980s, and it wasn't the greatest. But I gave it a good rubbing and polish, and it turned out quite alright for the next 2 years.

Then, last fall we decided upon a respray. Since it wasn't the original paint anyway, could as well make it shine the "easy" way. Delivered the car to a retired painter I've used before on the 240.

He stripped it and started sanding it down.

Then sometime later it had been sprayed and I had ordered some new parts to replace worn parts and trim.

Previous owner had opted for silver Volvo-lettering on the bonnet. Replaced with year-correct gold lettering.

These rubbergaskets were quite brittle after 50 years... New and fresh

The old paper cards weren't in a good shape anymore, replaced with some plastic. I hope that's alright.

Had to replace the ashtray - TB to the rescue, and I received this from a fellow forum lurker. Thanks northTH!

So, it came out very good, pleased with the paintjob. The exterior is pretty much done now, so I'll spent some time on the inside sorting out some details.

Last edited:
Nice car. Too bad about the key job. There are ass hats in every part of the world. Enjoy your ride.

On the way home, we had parked at a shop to get some soda, and in those 10 minutes, some punk keyed it. Really nice, bro.

Then sometime later it had been sprayed and I had ordered some new parts to replace worn parts and trim.

car looks great. It must have been a 940 owner who did that:grrr:

part of the reason why I love my Amazons is the parts availability at relatively cheap prices

Thanks for the kind words :)
It's not as awesome as Atom's wagon, but it's what I want it to be.

^ He's right. Only US and Canadian models use that knob from '68-.

You have a really nice Amazon. The interior is in amazing condition except for the drivers seat back. I may have a NOS seat back cover in the correct color if you're interested.

120FrontSeatBackCoverBlue.jpg

You can use a piece of the reflector housing rubber on the upper door panel trims where the original molded pieces used to be. You'll need to glue them in place though.

Do you get a lot of wind noise in the car? I believe you have the door seals on backwards.

120DoorSeal.jpg

You can use a piece of the reflector housing rubber on the upper door panel trims where the original molded pieces used to be. You'll need to glue them in place though.

Do you get a lot of wind noise in the car? I believe you have the door seals on backwards.

looks like his driver door rear window guide lower screw missing (hole under the red volvo sticker)

in my limited experience the bracket brakes off or the screw backs out

I think those holes were made for PDR (paintless dent removal). Both of the guide channel screws are present and accounted for.

That looks terrific - I think my 220 had the same paint and upholstery when it was all together. Nice to get an idea of what it could look like.

thats an incorrect ashtray pull knob for the year. :-P

I see the rear seatbelts are 240s but whats been done with front ?
Haha, good eye. The original ash tray was rusted as I mentioned, and all I found while looking locally were in the same bad shape, so I was happy to get this one from the US, even though the knob is wrong. I had hoped to be able to swap the knob over, though. Maybe later if I'm able.

The front seatbelts are as far as I know what came with the car, but I'm not really sure. I'm not that well versed in Amazon history, and I've not seen too many IRL, the only ones I've seen have had some other belts.

^ He's right. Only US and Canadian models use that knob from '68-.

You have a really nice Amazon. The interior is in amazing condition except for the drivers seat back. I may have a NOS seat back cover in the correct color if you're interested.

120FrontSeatBackCoverBlue.jpg

120DoorSeal.jpg
Thanks,
The seatback is in great condition, the picture must fool you? (EDIT: Ah, yes, it's a little bit of discoloration from the sun... I'd forgotten about that :D)

Aha - I was quite sure that this was the right way to install the door seals? I installed them the same way as the old ones - but that doesn't mean they were right to begin with :p It's always been a noisy car, but I've just attributed that to the oldness ^^ (edit: googled some pictures, you're completely right.)

What do you mean with "piece of the reflector housing rubber on the upper door panel trims where the original molded pieces used to be" ? What am I missing? :eek:

looks like his driver door rear window guide lower screw missing (hole under the red volvo sticker)

in my limited experience the bracket brakes off or the screw backs out
Those holes used to have some rubber plugs in them, but I haven't gotten new ones yet after the respray.

Last edited:
Back